Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

he, he...me for one ..LOL ...Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

As a fellow RN i say listen to our Judi,

but I do have a couple of helps I use for hubby when he is on a diet and starts to faulter-

1.  Coco Puffs

I know sounds wonky, but its got crunch, a little sweet, a precious few vitamins, and a CHOCOLAT flavor which is his biggest downfall

2.  Watch the hidden fats, like dressing.  Do you really only use 2 tablespoos, or do you squirt it on? 

3. Skinny cow fudgecycles- 100 cal. takes a while to eat and again CHOCOLAT- practically no fat.

These i dole out sparingly- when he diets and it is usually for my peace of mind.

He really has remarkable control when he decides to

Like Judi I don't have a weight problem-  however some of me isn't where it used to be-its lower-

So walking and bike riding help

If you were to follow the ADA diet you would loose weight-its what I try
to do for hubby, but he loves his Japanese rice-....actually it isn't the rice that's so bad its what he puts on it....yuck

Also do you have a little kitchen scale?  Weighing your portions would really be helpful.  It will really surprise you how much folks in the Western Societies tend to eat. 

Actually its scarry

Really scarry

and the leading cause of death-but its put down as Heart disease, diabetes etc......

Good luck Miss Rita!  You can do it!  Look at all the other difficult things you have mastered!  Like bear making

If you can do that....you can do anything!

hugs with prayers for sucsess!

Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Rita and everyone,
I need to go on diet too  ..and thanks everyone for good advise !
Sue Ann, I checked out the website and it sounds good.
Judi and Shelli, I just wish you guys could be my supervisor to watch me out till I loose my weight !!!! . bear_cool he he he

Right now,  I stop drink coke(but can I drink diet coke ?) and I drink more non-sugar teas and water.
I will start 30minutes workout .... yes, I hate work out but I think there is no other way to keep me
healthy..... so I think I will start dancing (at home by my self !) instead doing just a work out because
dancing seems  much fun then working out.
I just got my dancing video and book. It has tango, Jazz dance and ballet ! bear_cool
Ok....I am set but the only thing I'm worry about is..... Can I continue this ?
If I succeed this thing I will post my whole body picture(with cloth on..) here. That is something to look up to . he he :P

Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Boy oh boy! This is an interesting one. reading all of your posts has made me even more aware of the foods that i can or can not eat. I can't eat Wholemeal or any brown breads. The only fruits I can eat are bananas and only one in a week. No milk, butters,cheeses or eggs. I have to eat a very low fat diet so only boiled or steamed vegetables. I do eat fish but that has to be oven baked, no sauces. You may by now wonder what I do eat. Well loads of vegetables, salads and chicken (no skin) I eat grains and seeds which I grind down in my pestle and mortar and add to salads etc. I can only drink water, no tea or coffee...................................................some days I can only eat a slice of dry toast.
Now you've read all this can anyone please answer...why the heck am I such a lump?

Jane.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Jane, you are wright.  I think each person has each reason and has different body...
My husband is eating almost same thing what you can eat  but my husband need to put more weight!  I need to loose
20ponds......hmmmmmm
I wish I can give out my fat to him. bear_grin 

Hugs/Marie

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

My daughter and I have both lost weight.  We are having to buy new clothes (fun).  We have simply made some changes that we can live with.  Breakfast is not necessarily an issue unless you tend to get way carried away.  I just continue to eat what I always have for breakfast.  At lunch and dinner we have simply taken note of what we used to eat (portion size) and scaled that down.  We eat very little sweets.  Keeping a couple of the little miniature candy bars around is good.  If we get a craving it is satisfied with one of these.  If you totally deny yourself sweets, you probably will snap and over indulge.  Two other things - lots of water and we eat a lot of apples (and other fresh fruit).  I read about a study where two groups were dieting.  They ate the same with one exception.  One group ate 3 apples a day and they lost quite a bit more weight than the ones who did not.  It is working for us.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Millie !

I love apples ! lots of water and eat lot of apples are sounds easy for me. bear_laugh 

Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ok, as a diabetic as well I'd like to put my two cents in.

Just because you are diabetic doesn't mean you'll have Judi's bod. As mentioned, genetics and other health factors can play a role in looking otherwise. Likewise, just becaue you follow a diabetic diet doesn't mean you'll look like Judi either. But doesn't she look great?

HOWEVER:

Following a diabetic diet is the way to go for most anyone. Diabetic diets are well balanced, low sugar and thus healthy. Most diabetics on insulin now use Carb Counting as a way to determine how much insulin they need to take for the amount of carbs they ingest. The ADA recommends 45 carbs (not sure if Judi's 25 was a typo?) for weight loss and 65 carbs per meal to maintain current weight. Carbs are stated on all prepackaged foods. It will say TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES and give a gram amount.  Most whole wheat breads for example are about 20 gr. of carb. A snickers granola bar is 23 gr. of carbs.  2 Tbsp. peanut butter is 6 carbs. Light yogurt is about 20 carbs. You can see how quickly these carbs can add up.  There are little books you can pick up at the book store that list carb & calorie & cholesterol counts for just about any food under the sun from backing powder & flour to apples and zucchini and also for many chain restaurant meals. Or visit www.calorieking.com Shelli provided a lot of other nutritional info that should be considered.

Working with a licensed nutritionist is a great way to gain an understanding of food, what meal paln is best for YOU as an individual and they'll help you set realistic, healthy goals.

Your primary care physician should be able to recommend a nutritionist for you.

Exercise: yup, it's necessary. I hate it too!!

For those of you facing dietary challenges because of allergies, digestive issues, etc. my heart goes out to you. My dad has about 5 specific foods he can eat... that's it. Maintaining good nutrition is next to impossible for him. But we just keep working at it.

Now, I want to know if the denstist can pull my sweet tooth???? :lol::lol::lol:

Daphne

White City, Oregon

Daphne...
Thanks for that bit of info...Is the carb count allowed  different for men and women ?

And...I hear not all carbs are the same..for instance on a pkg. it will say TOTAL CARBS then  also list fiber and other carbs seperately . My diebetic neighbor says not to count the fiber in...Winney

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Don't put anyfing in yer gob after 7 pm and cut out potatoes pasta & bread.

Exercise is the key but it's gotta be what you feel comfortable with - if you have a cleaner/Au pair/gardener etc do all the work yourself and take LOADS of vitamins and eat good food

Don't eat carbs for three days and see how you feel sweetie - if you feel a bit like your throat has been cut then you know you are addicted to carbs. Cut out booze too - booze makes you crave carbs and don't i know it!!!!

Good luck from a pig who should know better but still tucks into homemade pasta and drinks champagne when i know i should'nt

God Bless,

Penny bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Winney - Don't know if carbs are different for men vs. women. I recall my hubby seeing a nutritionist and the diet she gave him for weight loss was about 50 carbs. So, I'd say the 45/65 is the same for either.

I was taught that if there are more than 3 grams of fiber in a food, subtract the fiber grams from total carb grams. Less than 3 grms isn't enough to slow digestion enough.

I do think that we should all remember that, although we can give eachother advice on diets, it's best to seek the advice of a nutritionist, doctor or other health care professional. Websites put up by the American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, etc. are also good sources for facts. And of course we all have to take into account other health issues we may have individually that can be effected by certain diets.

Shana Hawaii

Is it possible to loose weight while Im sitting down sewing bears...does anyone know?  Arms and hands move but not the butt and legs.  Hmmm got ya thinking now huh?  hehehe.  Im a Hula Instructor and my husband and I have our own Hula school.  Thats how i get my excercise, or got my excersice. .  I put on 10 pounds because I suffer from Depression and Anxieties.  I was confined to my bed and house for almost a year.  I am just starting to feel better.  Its been going on 3 months now.  Im praying to God that it lasts.  Ive had it for 10 years.  So I made my first bear  since about 5 months ago.  Im getting out more, its slow but Im getting there.  Thats why Im so happy to be a part of this group.  Its given me the insentive to move forward.  Okay theres a little bit about me!
Shana

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I completely agree with what Daphne said about seeking the advice of your health care professional.  I find it interesting however that many if not most insurance policies DO NOT cover weight loss in their programs.  They also do not cover most alternative medicines such as acupuncture....but yet will let me fill prescription after prescription for narcotics if I wanted them. 

Incredible...:/

(sorry I'm ranting...)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shana - I have not said my hellos to you yet but let me start by giving you a great big (((((BEAR HUG))))). I only suffered mild depression, gained 15 lbs and lost all interest in everything last winter... about 8 months actually. I can only begin to imagine how hard it's been for you. You are in my prayers and I'm so glad you starting to 'emerge'. Every little step is really a big, huge step. Keep making those bears!!!!

Shantell - don't even get me started on health insurance coverage!!! (Where'e that devil face from Edinburgh's board when I need it?????) I have found that a nutritionist is almost always covered with a referral from your regular doctor. Give it another 10-15 years and alternative medicine will start to be recognized. Thankfully many ins. companies cover chiropractic care now. Baby steps I guess.

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

Don't put anyfing in yer gob after 7 pm and cut out potatoes pasta & bread.

LOL ... Penny I am heeding your advice and am dismissing the gardener and cleaner ASAP.  Knew about the potatos, pasta, bread, booze ... but have never heard it put so perfectly.  Thank you ... truly.

Deb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes Daphne, You are right!!!  And I am the typo queen...I get carried away and click submit before I proof read......:rolleyes:

I agree with you too about seeking advice from doctors etc...there is so much out there and it can get really confusing.

I have pictures of Shana hula dancing...she is BEAUTIFUL!
Yay Marie...dancing at home is also a great way to excerise.....I bet you will get hooked!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi, I'm dying to know how you know Shana since she's across the continent and a huge body of water from your hometown in Wisconsin.  Is that a story you can share???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shana . . . so sorry about your depression/anxiety . . . it runs rampant in my family.  I'm glad you're feeling better and do hope you will continue to improve.  I know one thing for sure . . . making teddy bears is a wonderful anti-depressant and I hope it works for you!!  bear_original bear_original  From one who's been there .  .  .  big hugs,

Shana Hawaii

Hey Daphne and Sua Ann thank God Im not the only one here in the bear world.  Thanks for sharing. Oh i couldnt even look at my bears.  Shari and Judi both know how it all went.  They are the ones that would listen to me all the time.  I love them for that and they know it!!!!!!!!! 
Yes it is one of the worst deseases to have.  It just robs you from everything you loved to do and just did period.  I was lucky to have found a good doctor.  The doctor here on my Island tried me on  everything and nothing ever worked long enough.  I finally went to get a second oppinion.
I fly over to Honolulu every month.  Its about a 20 min. plane ride.  It costs more to go but when you are desperate hey you will try anything.  So thats where i was the last couple of days.  How did I meet Judi?  I let her tell you that one.  Take care all of you and thanks for sharing.
Aloha Shana

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, I'm very far from any diet expert. But I did have a doctor tell me one thing that has always stuck with me. She said that if I could just cut out a bad habbit or two, I would at least stop gaining weight, and maybe even loose some. This is great adivice. I'm convinced that if I didn't eat before bed and stop drinking coke ( my one HUGe addiction!!) than I'm sure I would probably loose 15 lbs in a year, just by doing that.
This to me is a little more confortable. I just can't diet. I don't do too well, being on 'rules' for my life.
So, I thought I would pass this alone. If you find you're gaining a little every year, than some small changes will really help. Some ideas....
taking the stairs at work
parking at the back of the lots always
eat a healthy breakfast, or at least one really low-fat, high nutrition meal a day
stop drinking pop!!!!
stuff like that. That's the 'diet' I'm trying now. I'm not looking to get skinny overnight, but I would like to stop gaining weight and maybe loose a few while I'm at it.
Anyone else try this? Did it work for you? Guess either way it can't be too bad
Heather

Deb Upstate New York

These were my rules to live by, when the weight was coming off:

An apple a day.
Eight glasses water a day.
Always leave a bite on the plate.
Use a small or medium plate, but not the large.
Eat slowly, putting down fork/spoon between bites.
To avoid bingeing, if you crave something, have a small portion.

Deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Hang in there, Shana,

I'm also recovering from depression. It's an awful illness. I've got a great psychologist and I'm on Zoloft, which seems to work for me. My first assignment was to do something I really wanted to do every day. For a while, I couldn't think of anything, but practice helped . . . by now, it's a real struggle to make myself do anything I don't want to do!! :lol:

Eileen

White City, Oregon

Al such good tips here ! Thanks Judi for the answer ...I have been to my Dr...she's good at pointing me in the right way but...its been mainly up to me to figure out the details on how to organize / control my diet.
My friend loaned me some great booklets (5)  from the Diabetics Asso...man are they great !
( $14. ea. ) ...It makes it sooooo much easier to follow without all the hassel of figuring each food or meal out...so now I can just CHOOSE ...
Each pg. is broken into 3 pages you can flip, mix around your CHOICES and all the meals are around 300 to 350 cals. each..That way you can add more cals for a man or subtract if you need to do less cals....EASY.
I have a feeling I told yall about this before ??? Well ..I'm telling you again.... he, he...
                                                                                     Wicked Winney  bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Heather & Deb,
Great suggestions!
I quit drinking soda about two years ago... I used to drink a 6 pack a day of diet coke, then switched to Mountain Due as i knew the caramel coloring in 'dark' sodas wasn't good. Then I just stopped altogether. Now I have a soda once every few months and boy do I feel bloated after. It's just gross!
I've also gone back to the rule of no food after dinner, and no dinner later than 3 hours before bedtime. I sleep better for one, never mind it helps prevents weight gain.

Hugs and Smiles,
Daphne:D

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you say you sleep better Daphine?? Maybe that should be some motivation for me. I'm such an after dinner muncher.
How did you quit your pop habbit?? I've tried, but I find it easier to quit smoking. What does that tell you about the pop we drink eh?? Amazing
Heather

Board footer