Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I feel sick to my stomach.  I just made a big mistake.  I'll try to keep it short:

I just sold a bear on ebay named Chloe for $440....at the same time the auction ended, someone used Buy-it-now for a DIFFERENT bear named Chloe on my website and paid me $264. 

Well, I get a notice from paypal for $264 for" CHLOE."  Here I am naturally  thinking that the ebay winner has only paid me in part.  Right?  After all the auction just ended.  Then I read an email for me to send the ebay buyer an invoice.  I thanked him for the [mistaken] partial payment, and sent him an invoice for what I thought was the balance, $190.80. 

He paid me the $190.80 and I sent the bear.  THEN I realize that the $264 I THOUGHT was from him was actually from a different buyer. 

Now, the buyer from ebay still owes me $264 AND he has the bear.

Today is the exact day one year ago I lost my sister, nephew, and brother-in-law.  I just have not been thinking straight.

I emailed the buyer and explained my error and that he still owes me $264.  He must have KNOWN that the invoice I sent him was wrong.  I also mailed a new invoice for the balance.  This all happened today and I have not heard anything from him.

I don't know if I will ever see the money.  What a DUMB mistake!  I am not going to name any of my bears the same again.  Ebay has been so slow and I finally get a good sale and I screwed it up!

Any other suggestions on how to get the buyer to honor his bid?

Feeling sick......Judidumbkins

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gina, Thank you for that suggestion.  I didn't know I could get the buyers phone number.  Iam going to try that.

Thanks!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Judi, I have no answer for you. Just hope and pray they are honest. I would also contact Ebay right away though, cover your but in case you need to. Do you think the bear has arrived yet?? Maybe you could contact the post office and have it delayed, or hopefully the buyer will pay before the bear arrives in the mail.
Good luck
Heather

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Judi . . . I'm so sorry!!!  I certainly can understand your confusion with the bids.  I don't have any suggestions for getting your additional money, but I surely can give you my empathy!!  In my earlier days of bearmaking, I sold a lady two bears, for which she gave me a check.  The check bounced, unfortunately, so I emailed her with no response.  Then I sent her a letter, and got no response.  Then I called her bank who told me she didn't have enough money in that account to cover the check.  So, I called her several times and left messages on her answering machine.  Right . . . no response.  THEN I mailed her a certified letter saying that if I didn't receive payment for the bears that I was thinking of taking her to small claims court . . . no response.  Then I paid for an internet search on her and discovered she had several addresses.  I discussed a small claims suit with my attorney brother-in-law and decided against taking her to court.  Would cost more than the bears were worth.  So . . . not trying to be discouraging, Judi, but I guess I learned a valuable lesson from the experience.  Hopefully, your buyer will do the right thing and pay you the rest of the money.  Will keep my fingers crossed!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Heather .  You're right. I should contact ebay right away.  I was thinking of giving this guy a couple of days to make good on his bid, buy maybe I shouldn't wait.  I would almost bet that he has the bear.  I sent it on the 22nd, this past Tues.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh Judi, how sad for you, -  as you said, you get a very good sale and then... this.
I really hope that the person is honest and will pay you what you are owed.
I would notify Ebay and explain what has happened.
Good luck and I hope it all turns out well for you.

Hugs
Carolyn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Sue Ann.  I may have to chalk this up as a learning experience but thanks for keeping your fingers crossed.  Hopefully all will be made right.  I won't give up easy.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank Carolyn.  I think I am going to contact ebay right now...I'll let you all know how it goes.  Thanks for your support!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh, Judi  sorry to hear about this!
I hope everything will go ok for you....

Marie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I just went to ebay and requested the contact information.  I used the live chat for help.  They were very nice.  They said it may take up to 24 hours to recieve the email with the info.  Well, at least maybe the guy will honor his obligation by then.

I appreciate all your support!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I wish I had something meaningful to offer besides empathy and good wishes, but I think everyone has pretty much covered it for me.  Good luck to you!

And, when you're feeling despairing, do remember that -- even though you admit to making a clerical error here -- his bid WAS for $440, and it WAS recorded on eBay as such, and you DO have proof of only partial payment from PayPal.  And you DO have the tool of negative feedback at your disposal, should you choose to go there  (Yes, I know all the reasons why that's not a great idea... another conversation, another time!)  So you do and will have recourse, should things not work out nicely in the short run.

My gut feeling, for no reason other than I just intuit it, is that it will work out well for you in the end.  I hope I'm right.

Hugs and friendship,

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I am with Shelli on this one, I think this guy will come good.. Just give it a little time... It's hard to wait I know.

Whatever happens, keep us updated.  I'm sorry to hear it's the one year anniversary of the death of your sister and her family.  Must be terrible.

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Aww, Judi.

First of all, big hugs to you on the first anniversary of the loss of your loved ones.

As for the payments: What an icky situation. One the hand you want to kick yourself but on the other, this guy should have known that he owed more than you invoiced him for. Why is it so hard to be honest????

Do let us know how this goes. Hopefully all will work out in your favor.

Hugs,
Daphne

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Being the eternal optimist that I am...perhaps he hasn't received your messages yet.  Where does this person live?...has he, his family or friends been affected by the hurricane and now potential tornadoes, etc.  Perhaps there is just a simple logical explanation as to why you haven't heard from him yet.  Although it would seem strange to not acknowledge an incorrect invoice and not question the amount...if it were too much I'm sure he would have.

I have feeling it will all work out for you as well...I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for an easy resolution.

Shantell

Shana Hawaii

Oh Judi I remember the day you told me the story of that horrible tragedy.  I cried so hard for you.  But you know what Judi dont beat yourself up about it.  Your mind was on something else more important for you.  Your little angels will take care of you.  Just a reminder that things could be worse.  Enjoy your family and celebrate having them with you.  I say that because I know the heart ache you went through.  We are all here for you.  Something good will come out of this I know.  Hopefully the buying will be honest, and if not well we know what comes around goes around.  That was an awesome sale and you can do it again.  I hope they can get it all fixed.  Being honest is the way to go!!  We love you Judi.  You are in our prayers!!
Aloha and Love, Shana

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Bless you Judi, Oh boy do I remember reading the tragic story of your beautiful family...it had me in tears. They say time will heal...well time makes things easier but the hurt still hurts. So I'm sending you one huge hug.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

As it was said earlier the customer for your bear entered into a contract with you and should honour it in full. Proof of payment through Paypal should help, do keep following it through Judi, your bears are so precious and he should pay in full for the honour of owning one. Good luck!

Jane.

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I've problems to explain what I want to say in english, but I'm sure things will get fixed.
Good luck and hugs for this bad day,

Marion

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Judi,

Believe me, we all have days like that!  Sometimes I wonder which way my own head is screwed on! :P

I'm with Shelli's advice on this one.  Don't be afraid to use the non-paying bidder system if necessary.  In your shoes, I would make firm and persistent requests for full payment ... but I would keep them friendly and polite of course!  I'm sure that once your buyer realises what has happened, he will reimburse you fully.  If he doesn't, as Shelli says, all the payment details are recorded on Ebay and Paypal and negative feedback is a facility put in place to be used.  Yes, I know 'tit for tat' feedback can result, but there is always the means to answer any negative feedback left on your own account.

Not long ago I purchased an item on Ebay.  Once I'd paid the seller told me the item wasn't available after all and could she send a substitute.  She also offered a refund which I accepted.  I stated in the feedback that the item hadn't been available as stated in the auction but that a refund had been made quickly.  The seller was outraged and left me negative feedback, blemishing my 100% positive feedback.  I didn't lose sleep over it, I simply added to her negative feedback using the facility available and pointed out that her feedback was 'tit for tat' feedback.  It hasn't affected my use of Ebay at all.

So sorry to hear this has come at such a bad time for you.  As my mum would say, I'm sure it will all come out in the wash! bear_original

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hugs.gifI know just how you feel Judi...we all have situations from time to time when we wonder if mistakes can be undone..and what a relief those times when it all works out.
Recently a friend sent $1000 worth of consignment bears to a shop and forgot to register and insure them. After six weeks the bears hadn't shown up and she was feeling much the same as you. When she had almost lost hope, the bears showed up...and she will never send a package worth so much uninsured again!
I'm sure it will work out...and we have all learned a lesson here too...don't name bears with the same names!
I can understand your preoccupation today, and I'm sending huge hugs to you. Your pain is shared by us all, and we know how your heart must be acheing.
Please God, wrap your comforting arms around our Jude today and give her peace.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Aaaargh, Judi!

I'm with Shelli--the buyer's winning bid was recorded, as a contract, and you can explain the mistake--he got the wrong invoice for an easily understandable reason, and should have questioned it. After all, this was not an "I'll buy the bear, just tell me how much it costs" deal. It sounds to me as if you have eBay on your side, and you've got a solid reputation as a seller. If you'd mistakenly invoiced him for a payment higher than his winning bid, I suspect you would have heard from him right away!!

This has got to be a bad time for you, but you know that we're all with you! :D

Eileen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Judi,I'm a little late here and all has been said but I send my most heartfelt hugs to you at this very sad and trying time.Just know that we are here to love and support you no matter what.Blessings and huge hugs,Shari.

Deb Upstate New York

Hi Judi ~

Just curious what the buyers Ebay rating is.  If it's high, I'd like to believe he'd like to protect his good % positive feedback.

Sounds like at least the person who bought the $246 Chloe paid the right amount and got the right bear.  My only advice is go have a pedicure and breathe deeply while you wait for your reply.

Big Hugs,

Deb

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Judi,

I am so sorry for everything bad that is going on right now bear_sad  I can understand how you would not be thinking "straight" at this time of year for you....

Big hugz coming your way!

Luv,
Laura

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Hi Judi -  I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, but I agree with the Bear Sisters, that all will be fine soon.  As Shelli said, you do have certain Ebay tools to use.  That said, have faith - if this buyer really truly loves bears, he will do the right thing.  My heart hurts for you and your family on this anniversary.

Jill

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I had something happen to me. My customer paid by paypal and I sent the bear. I then (don't ask me how) managed to refuse the payment. I e-mailed the customer and she did come through for me and resent the money through paypal.
You've got a lot on your mind at the moment, if it does turn bad please remember there are people you hardly know as such, thinking of you. Hang in there.

Board footer