Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Dont you have some kind of recourse if he paid with Paypal???  I thought that once an item was won, ebay automatically sent an invoice?  I recently had a person who bid on a bear and had won not pay for the bear.  She claimed that she didnt get the ebay invoices (i sent it to her 3 times) and that she didnt receive my emails (I sent her two requesting payment).  She finally emailed me when i put a deadline for her to contact me and claimed that she didnt get my emails or invoices from ebay... she claims she cannot drive a car for a few days because of medication she is on and told me her husband would send a money order out last week (tuesday) but it still hasn't arrived.  I sold that bear almost a month ago! 

Judi, I think things will work out...  I would definetely contact ebay as the other said...

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Judi, I don't think you have anything to worry about. 
The auction did go off for a certain contractual amount and he is bound to that contract...not your final invoice.
Mistakes happen and this CLEARLY was a mistake.

Before you get your stomach all in a knot, I am sure ebay can get it straightened out!

Relax just a bit and see the reasoning to this.  He agreed to the 440.00 and only made a partial payment, regardless of your bookkeeping error.  That does not negate the contract.

Hold on and see what happens.
Nanc.....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I have to say that I am very pleased with all the support  I have here with all of you.  It really makes me feel good.

Ebay sent me his contact information and I tried to call this morning.  I got a recorded message stating the area code or number is incorrect.  His contact info is in Kissimmee FL , but in my records where I sent the bear is in Central Islip NY.  He does have %100 positive feedback.  WIth all the positive energy I have getting from all of you I feel some good vibes here that things will work out.

Thanks for all your supportive and kind words and for being here.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi,
Google his name.. or better yet, use the 'people pages' on www.superpages.com where you can search the city/state and/or his name. See what you come up with. I'm sure you can track him down!

Huggies,
Daphne

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That is too bad Judi, but I think that most people are honest. He should how much his bid was for and how much he owes you for the bear. Best wishes and keep us posted!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I am glad you posted about this as we all need to know that this kind of thing can happen to any of us on Ebay. The suggestions above sound good..sure is nice to have a bunch like this to talk to when things go awry.What a situation ! Hope that guy realizes and send you the money HE promised to pay with the bid !

I am so sorry to hear about your family..I do remember your posts about that..its a terrible memory that never seems to go away...please be comforted that we all love and lift you up to the Lord. ...Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I am very glad to have such a support system here.  Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I am going to follow through. 

Thanks  Daphne for the google idea and the website.  I am going to give it s whirl...wish me luck!

Shana Hawaii

Hi not to get off the subject but Paula Carter thats one CUTE bear!! Nice to meet you.
Shana

Shana Hawaii

GOOD LUCK JUDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of Bear Hugs!!!!!!!!!
Shana

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judi

Please don't feel badly about yourself (judidumbkins)  What happened to your family a year ago was horrendous and the grief doesn't go away in a year, nor a year and a day.  You will always have feelings about this date, and may find yourself not thinking clearly.  I've known people who, 10 years later, even though they have pulled their lives together and 'moved on', still have what they call 'that day'  And you have done so well.  You truly have.

I know that horrible feeling, as do we all, because everyone one of us has done something, left a purse somewhere, lost a creditcard, etc. 
So it is easy to empathize with the pain you are experiencing.  But like the girls said, He knows what his bid was....he has to honor it....and you haven't sent the bear yet, right?

And as the new mom of one of your bears I can tell you that it is an honor and I love mine.  He is so beautiful.

So.  Take a deep breath, all will ne well.

Hugs and gollylove to you

Dilu
It will be allright.

However your horrible learning experience has taught me something- to be careful about names.  I have someone wanting to buy something and I don't remember the name.  I toss the names around and forget that others know a critter by a specific name.  From now on when I post one of my guys I will print up their picture and put their name on it so I don't have that confusion

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Judi -  He is probably a "snow bird".  Lives in the north during the summer and the south once the snow starts falling.  That would explain his address being in Kissimmee and his shipping in New York.  Keep the faith.

Jill

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How cool; do people really DO that?  Here in California, it's basically the same weather (give or take a couple dozen degrees) all year long.  Wouldn't even occur to most of us to live two places.  I suppose when winter gets down to zero degrees for days on end, though, suddenly moving to warmer climes for the duration of the season makes a lot of sense!

ellen ontario, canada

that's the Canadian dream!
haaaa!
bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh yes . . . we have LOTS of Snowbirds in Texas!  I have a customer from Canada that spends October through April in San Angelo, TX.  I've mailed bears to both places . . . depending on the season!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh True--The Snowbirds! There are probably as many Canadians in Florida every winter as Floridians.

It's considered bad parenting here not to take your kids down to Disneyland at least once--if you don't, you've blighted their childhoods!

People who merely make it to Virginia or the Carolinas are . . . well, they're not one of us!

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well, I found him with the website provided by Daphne and called the number.  It has been disconnected.  The guy has perfect feedback, but has still not contacted me. 

Jilly Bee I hope you are okay down there in Florida.  I know the Katrina went farther west but I know sometimes there can be affects from these storms to other nearby places.  Jill, you're in Florida so mabey I can ask you.  This guy has the same area code for both the NY and FL locations  (631).  Are these both in FL?

Yes Dilu,  I Have already sent the bear thinking it was paid in full.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Judi, I agree with others about giving him some time to catch up with things just in case he is willing to put everything right.  However... here are a couple of thoughts.

From eBay's viewpoint, I don't think they'll be able or willing to help you out with this.  As far as they'd be concerned, you sent an invoice, it was paid in full for the amount on the invoice and the product was sent.  This to them is a completed transaction.  I would not expect either eBay or PayPal to show any interest in how much money was or was not on the invoice.  Sad, but true.

Here's some useful information for people to know if they ever get ripped off / run into deadbeats / etc. on eBay.  You said that the phone number in his contact information was no good.  This is considered by eBay to be Invalid Contact Information and is a MAJOR no-no.  You can report him for invalid contact information to eBay.  His account will be suspended because of it.  And just in case you're worried about him leaving you nasty negative feedback should you take this route... if he does leave negative feedback before being suspended, eBay WILL remove that feedback from your records.  This is, of course, a big deal to get involved with, so only resort to it if you feel it is absolutely necessary.   I haven't had to deal with anything like this myself (luckily). 

Your other option if the guy continues to be non-communicative would be to accept it as an expensive lesson and move on.  We'll all keep our fingers crossed that this is a good guy you're dealing with, and just hasn't seen your email yet.  By the way, do you know how to send emails with a return receipt?  That will at least tell you if he is opening and reading your emails. 

Best wishes,
Kelly

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~

Your guy is still bidding on items, so he has to have access to a pc ... wherever he is.  Keep trying.  Can you request a "read receipt" for the emails you send?

Deb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kelly, I don't know how to do that return receipt email thing.  Do share, if it's a quick tutorial, please.  Thank you!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Ha, I just noticed the term is 'return receipt' in Eudora and 'read receipt' in Outlook (I'll refer to them as return receipts here, but they are one and the same).  I guess Deb and I are both right on what to call it  bear_original  For anyone who isn't familiar with a return receipt, it's pretty straightforward and here's how one should work:

1.  You compose an email to Joe Q. Somebody.  You would really like to know if (or when) Joe reads your email.  As you compose your email, select in your email program that you would like to use a return receipt.  Send your email.

2.  Joe reads your email.  An automated receipt is immediately generated and mailed back to you.

3.  You receive the receipt and know that Joe opened the email (and presumably read it) at the date and time on the receipt.

Now that's the way it's supposed to work.  This is unfortunately not a perfect system.  Some email programs could give Joe the option of NOT sending a return receipt, a little window could pop up and ask if he'd like to send your receipt now, later or never.  He could pick never, so you'd never get the receipt regardless of whether he read the email or not.  In the best case scenario, you're hoping to get that little return receipt as confirmation that the email was opened (OK, technically Joe's wife could have opened the email and not Joe, but you know SOMEBODY there saw it).  If you don't get the receipt... maybe they never saw the email, or maybe they blocked the return receipt.  Regardless, I have use return receipts in the past if someone I was dealing with was just not responding to emails.  It generally does work.  Sometimes just the person seeing that you have requested a return receipt is enough to get them to respond, even if they cancel the receipt itself.

I can help with Eudora and Outlook users as to where to find this option in your email program.  For Eudora, as you are composing your email, look at the menu bar options at the top of the mail composition window.  About 4 buttons to the left of your Send button is one that looks like a letter with a green mark on one side.  If you hold your mouse over this button, it should say Return Receipt.  Just click on it.  When you send your email, a return receipt will be requested.

In Outlook, again start composing your new email.  In the mail composition window, select the Tools tab from the upper menu.  Select the option to 'Request Read Receipt'. This should work exactly the same as described above.

I'm not as familiar with other programs, but scout around in yours and you should be able to find an option for either a read receipt or a return receipt.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Dilu Posts: 8,574

If he's using a cell phone he will have the same area code....won't he.

Judi

Even if he isn't honest I know you will be blessed through this experience.  You were honest.  You were prompt.  You were trying to right a mistake..  And if he isn't honest he wont have nearly as blessed a life as you.  You are an example to all of us AND your  mistake is teaching all of us so much.  I'm really sorry it had to be such a costly one though.  OUCH!

(Dontcha hate it when it's your turn to be the object lesson?  UGH!

We all love you and are hoping for the best!

The gollywollikins send their love.

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi,

631 is a NY area code. Could be a cell# though out of NY. Many people have gone to using cell phones only, especially with Nextel.

whitepages.com might provide different info on this guy. I don't know what each site's source is. I don't know of anyway to get info on cell #'s.

Maybe he's a Red Cross volunteer on his way to Biloxi or New Orleans???? (OK, one can have hope but I may be turning him into too much of an angel here!!)

Keep us posted Sugar Babe!
Daphne

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~

Just curious ... did you invoice the balance with an explanation? 

Deb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Dear Judi I'm sorry to hear of all this strife at this particularly sensitive time for you.
But have you tried texting him ,on his mobile???
All the best Judi, you deserve him to be a goodie, if only because your bears are just so 'magnificent'

Matilda  xx

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Hi Judi -

The Area Code for Kissimmee, FL is 407.  He may be using his cell phone as his contact number.  If he has a phone number in Florida, he probably puts it on suspend when he goes to NY for the summer.  You could also try to Google the phone number and see if anything comes up.  And try to do the Read/Receipt thing in email.  Then you will know whether or not he has received/read your message.  I am sure it will work out and if we can do anything as a United Bear Sisterhood, just say the word.

Jill

Board footer