Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've got some synthetic fur similar to what you'd get from Beary Cheap. I got it at my local fabric store. It's got a fairly loose backing. It's polyester. It sheds like crazy.

My thought: to use iron-on fusible web/interfacing on the back of this fur to help with stretching and also shedding. Has anyone given this a try???

Any other thought for perventing so much shedding/fraying of ends when cutting. Fray check is good AFTER the shedding is done. I'd like to minimize the shedding.

Thanks!
Daphne

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Daphne,
I think it is Lisa Pay that recommends mixing glue and water and painting the backing with that as a stabilizer.   Elmers glue and 50-50 mix.
Donna

Deb Upstate New York

Either that (fusible interfacing) or maybe lightweight fabric applied with spray adhesive.  The glue/water would also work (sounds like the least trouble).

Deb

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Daphne...I use the iron-on fine cotton inter-facing/lining...it's light-weight, stops the stretch and fraying  and has the added bonus of making marking up the pattern very easy and clear. I use diluted PVA as a fray check...but I found that if you dampen some of these synthetics it negatively affects the texture of the pile...so I would be careful how you apply it...

Jenny

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, what would concern me is the heat on synthetic fur.  Since the fur is usually acrylic I would worry that it could melt if too much heat is applied.  I like the glue idea .

Best of luck.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi,
The fur is poly!!!
I can use a pressing cloth if necessary.
I'll try a little corner, very carefully!
I liked the fusible web for a couple of reasons... easier to trace pattern on it, less stretching, hold fibers in tact and well, less messy. Me with a spray bottle or brush of water and glue...YIKES!!!!!
I'll heed your warning, though, Judi.
Thank you.

I've got some great back up ideas if this doesn't work.
Thank you all!!

Board footer