Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

WARNING: If you have no interest in website griping I suggest you move on to a more cheerful topic. :))

OK, so, I learn that my hosting company, Yahoo, has all new hosting/server programs. So, if I don't want to loose my site I have to change over to their new stuff. No problem as their pricing structure has also changed for the better!! $4 less per month than I was paying. Go figure.

So, I have to close the old account, open a new one. Sounds easy enough. But then I can't seem to get my FrontPage designed website published to the new server. 3 days and 3 calls to their tech support and I finally get some one who takes the time to figure out and explain in clear english what the heck is going on. Apparently I can't use my current version of FrontPage (2003) with their server... it doesn't recognize 75% of the extensions. (What ever that means!!!)

So, now I have to look into other web design software, learn from scratch how to design my site again and in the mean time have NO website. The helpful tech guy also designs websties and swears by Dreamweaver. But he didn't want to give me the $399 for it! bear_sad I want a look that goes beyond the capabilities of homestead, yahoo's site builder, etc. This is going to take me months....... it took over a year to get my current (well, it was current) site the way I liked it.

I want to pull my hair out, scream and cry all at the same time!!!  :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I suppose I should be working on a solution to this mess rather than just B*&#@ING about it! But I had to unload!!

Thanks for being here!!
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello Daphne.  I love you.  Please send me a private note and let's talk.  My time is limited but I'd love to help in the interim.

Hugs,

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh MY!  I am completely useless when it comes to computers... thus I don't even have a real web site, just a picturetrail gallery for folks who want to see what I've done in the past.... anyway, I do deeply sympathize with you!  I'd never want to live without my computer, but I have truly contemplated pitching it from the roof a couple of times myself!  I do hope that rebuilding doesn't take too terribly long for you love!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Daphne...I'll scream with you.  I got so frustrated embroidery a nose (which I've never had a problem with thanks to reading about it ahead of time) that I ripped it out several times and finally took the scissors to the poor bears head and chopped it up...NOW I have fur everywhere...but boy do I feel better...:D

Good Luck...I'm sure Shelli can help you!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Daphne,

I know how frustrating this is.  My website is in complete disarray, on the computer not on line....yet.  The one on line is same ol'

I'll scream with you and Shantell and then say this;

I know you can do this, you are a brilliant woman who doesn't let anything stop her from achieving her goals!

Say Hi to your dad....I am keeping him in my prayers too

Hugs and love

Dilu :P

Shantell  I like your new avatar....It is calming and sweet at the same time.  Good Job.

So did yu leave enough muzzle to redo the nose or is this one of those things, you know, like pigmonkeybear?

Dilu

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Dilu...oh no...I meant it...I chopped the entire head up into little bitty pieces of fuzz...had to make an entire new head....which is turning out better anyway.  I had a complete temper tantrum...just didn't throw myself on the floor screaming and hollaring...I'll do that next for Daphne bear_original

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Shaking Here}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh no Daphne, I am getting scared!!!

I have been working with WebEasy right now to get a website going and have decided to use Fortune City as my host (recommended by Lisa, and it looks great).  I called them yesterday to see if WebEasy is compatible and I need to get a domain name registered first.  It sounds like they won't know until I try to upload it but they did tell me all I have to do is save it to HTML...which Webeasy does.

Is this anything different from what you're
  experiencing Daphne?  I know Fortune City takes FrontPage beautifully.

so glad I read this before I did anything.  My hold up has been what to name...me! :lol:

NancyandFriends is taken up by Nancy Sinatra...how rude!!! :lol:

I know Shelli can help, if it hasn't already been taken care of.
nanc.......

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

i am having website problems too... My links to other pages from my index have some kind of error where they arent there!  I spent hours last night perfecting it and I only have dialup at home so I woke this morning and found that the pages didnt "publish" right.... I wrote an email this a.m. to cust. service but havent heard back.....

Daphne, hope things go better....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell - :lol::lol::lol:
Thank you so much.... I laughed til I cried!!! I'm so sorry to be laughing at your frustration. It wasn't really that I was laughing at but rather the visual of you with scissors in hand stabbing a helpless bear head to uncertain double death!!!

I do understand though!

Shelli- You are just the absolute best!!! :D

Dilu - thank you for cheering us up. I was on the phone with my dad when I read your email. He used to be a software programmer until be became ill. He had a couple of suggestions for me but has been out of the field long enough and unable to keep up with the changes that even he was baffled at some of this. SIGH!

Hugs,
Daphne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim - I now understand why professional web designers charge OODLES of money to do what they do! I wonder what kind of mood they are in when THEY get home??

Nanc - I'll look into the hosting company and software you mentioned. Thank you. I'm sure things will go much smoother for you!!! They HAVE to!! bear_happy

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

Have you tried Netscape's browser at netscape.com? The browser itself is a web development platform and it is free. Dreamweaver does carry a hefty pricetag, but it is worth it once you get over the small learning curve. I think it is superior to frontpage... But, frontpage does have some benefits to beginers like form creation and server side programs (like mail forms).

The extentions they are referring to, are the actual programs that run on the web server. Each new version of frontpage comes with new extentions and to take advantage of those, your current version of frontpage must use the same version on the web server.

Not sure if this helps or not, but try looking at Netscape. I am pretty sure the full version of netscape as the web editing tools unless AOL took them out. (AOL kind of owns netscape now)

One last thought. You can continue using frontpage possibly if yahoo allows you to use FTP. The problem is, some of the extentions may not work, but you do not have to use the extentions when designing your site. Extentions are often automated things like (mail forms, guestbook) anything that stores data or emails on the server requires extentions. If you do not use these things, then do not worry about it. Not sure what yahoo charges, but maybe think about moving to another provider.

The below information is not meant to be a plug.
But you can try valueweb who has ALWAYS been reliable and consistant. They have a Category 5 strength building in Fort Lauderdale (withstand hurricanes). I host my servers with them.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hi, teddy_bear_org, and welcome to TEDDY TALK!  You will obviously be a wonderful web building resource for us all and your username suggests a lot of support for the teddy cause.

Welcome!...

... and, Who are you?  I'd love to know who it is that's offering such helpful advice. bear_original

Go to teddy-bears.org and read the about section! bear_original

But since you are asking, my wife and I are collectors out of Florida and maintain the teddy-bears.org web site. I am a programmer/developer (been in computers 18 years) by profession and maintain the teddy-bears site as a hobby.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Name!  Name!  Give us a NAME!  Or, more appropriately -- because you said "wife and I" -- NAMESSSSS!

PS  I just now visited and read your site, briefly.  Very nice! :)
PPS  Couldn't find any names there.  Even in the ABOUT section.   Grinning here... bear_laugh

I updated the about  page with my name, should have did that before. :).

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hi, SCOTT!! Welcome to TEDDY TALK, and may I say how happy I am to grab some testosterone for this board again.  Your input so far has been wonderfully helpful; I hope you'll visit and post frequently.

"I am to grab some testosterone for this board" - oh no, I hope that doesn't mean I am going to be the pick on! bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Daphne,how terrible to have lost your site and all the trouble it is causing you bear_sad Hope it gets straightened around for you soon. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Welcome Kim and to Scott(and his wife) also,I think you will be an asset to our board.

Hugs and blessings,Shari.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I hope that doesn't mean I am going to be the pick on!

Nope, we're a very supportive and friendly, sharing, crew here.  The only time anyone gets picked on is either in loving fun, or purely by accident.

PS  On that note, once more with gusto:  I adore and respect lawyers. bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You guys (yippee... we really have a guy again!!) are making me laugh. The best medicine.

Thanks for your explination, Scott.

I just stumbled upon Start Logic in Arizona... unless they have  brush fires in Pheonix and burn down I don't forsee any other natural cotastrophies but definitely something to consider in your area!! They host the 2003 extentions and have very reasonable rates, shopping cart and other services included that will be very helpful to me. But of course, I haven't received confirmation/set up instructions yet so we'll see how that goes!!! Netscape or Valueweb will be next in the event I'm back to pulling my hair out!

Daphne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think I am on the verge of screaming too!  I emailed my web hosting co twice and still cant get my website to work right!  The first time I was told it was fixed but I went into it and it ISNT the second time I was told to shut my computer down and clean out my cookies, and guess what, the problems still arent fixed! HELP!!! Mandie, where are you!  I know you have the same company!

Well, you can keep the hair you pull out and make with it "The Incredible New Bear" made of human hair! lol

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I hope that doesn't mean I am going to be the pick on!

~Scott

No, we don't pick... we just pry!! bear_grin Name, picture, knowledge........

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Scott -

One last thing... the link where it says WEBSITE under your avatar doesn't work!! Address is mis-typed! :rolleyes:

OK, so we pick... a little! bear_happy

Board footer