Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I was sitting here wondering.....how can we introduce the world of teddy bears and the wonder of collcecting to more people.

We have shows...how do we induce passers-by to enter the doors.

On ebay....... how can we get them to click on artist bears instead of passing by the category.

We have websites - how do we get them to go looking for them.

As a magazine editor I know one of jobs is to get a great cover to make people pick it and at least flick through it and maybe get hooked on bears (sorry Sarah Jane)

But what else can we do .......we are all intelligent ladies maybe between us we can come up with some other ideas to help us all.....

One thought is the ACEO's if people are flicking through that catagerory and we are selling there we may make them look at what else we have on sale .........for example.

Where else or what else can we do outside  of "the box" can we do to bring people from "that box" across to "this box".

sarahjane Brisbane

As a magazine editor I know one of jobs is to get a great cover to make people pick it and at least flick through it and maybe get hooked on bears (sorry Sarah Jane)

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

No problem Sandra.....

I have wondered about this one myself and I think Aceo's are a great idea but as for getting Teddy Bears 'out' there for new collectors...the only thing I can think of at the moment is having displays or something where people can see them but how that could be done I'm not sure....I'm sure some of the others will have some great ideas though.... bear_original

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I can't lay claim to this idea as it was something a forward thinking chap here in the UK told me he was going to do.

To extend interest beyond exisiting circulation, he scratched his head and came up with the idea of introducing artist bears to groups of women (in particular) by advertising in their publications.  Women's groups such as 'Towns Women's Guild' and 'Women's Institute' have many thousands of members across the UK ... the first ad has just been put forward, so it remains to be seen what interest there will be, but it does at least make a good attempt to reach potential collectors who have yet to discover our world!

This guy isn't a bear artist, in fact he's a supplier, but he's determined to broaden the appeal of teddy bear making and collecting within the UK, so he's developed a website www.teddybearfair.com which has its own forum.  It offers a super advertising opportunity for relevant UK bear businesses and a chance to chat on the forum as well.  He's working really hard to promote the site which is based on the concept of an online teddy bear fair ... advertisers take a listing and visitors to the site can click through what each advertiser has to offer, before deciding which websites they would like to  visit.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Yes I think this is along the lines I'm thinking. Trying to reach other people by using other crafts and groups as a jumping off platform.

I suppose what I'm thinking or trying to clarify in my mind is where are these viable options and how best to access them.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Sandra, 

I believe we are all collectors of something whether it may be stamps, coins, cards, etc.   Introducing and encouraging new collectors is something that I believe happens visually and  due to affordability. Also defining what a collector means to everyone is another thing. Its true think about it.   What and Who is a collector?

I have noticed that demonstrating bear making in public is a way of obtaining peoples interests, that can go either way whether that be as a collector or a desire to be a maker of bears.   I find that young children love to collect and love the thrill of winning a raffle or a prize, now we all do love to receive a give away prize.  :dance:

I recall having an interesting conversation with a man late last year that was attending a bear show with his wife.   He was not a bear collector, but a collector of coins, we got into an interesting conversation about coin collecting and what is unique and what long term return you can get on an investment.   He asked me what was unique about my bears and what return on his investment he could get.  In my view a collector is someone that collects for private desire,  collection of series or editions,  or collector of unique items that they like and may return some value over the long term.

Thinking outside the box now, Advertising bear shows or exibitions to collector groups, or collector magazines may encourage new collectors, perhaps even writing an article about bear collecting and the history of it to these audiences  may win their interest.       

I also find that crafts of any nature go through cycles of interest, at the moment beading and scrapbooking are huge.   Like most things bear appeal  and collecting will come back in time.   I just think that public awareness is very important (so spread the word everyone, make it sound fun and exciting) isn't this how fads and crazes in things happen and people find that they must acquire things, for example the yoyo craze, pokemons, its all in the advertising, Television, etc. So why not talk to people around us of what you do, you never know they may be a closet bear collector and you never knew it.  :dance:  I find this at work when people know what I am doing, you notice their interest and questions are asked their curiousity gets the better of them. bear_original   They need to know more then.

Hope some of this is of some value or food for thought.   Its an interesting topic.

puca bears puca bears

Hi Sandra
something else to consider.... a few years back, here in Germany, one of the Bear magazines got together with the two major bear supplies shops and came up with "Barenfreund clubs". The Mag and shops advertised the idea and it really took off......there are any number of local craft groups here - knitters, quilters, and so on...and lots of hobbyist bear makers, so the clubs were an easy progression.
Everyone pays a small annual sub, and gets a quarterly publication, with free patterns, chat, news etc, and Schulte comes up with  a new "club" mohair, which members get a bit cheaper before the fabric goes on public sale - then there are reduced entry fees for shows, and a discount on supplies.
The main thing is that word gets around - for every person bitten by the bear bug, there will be a circle of family and friends who just might also get interested. Clubs might put on a local show.......you get the idea...!
O.K. - it might not all be about bears - our local club members are all into hand-knitted socks at the moment (AAARRRGGHHH...something I'm saving for very advanced old age!)
BUT - our club has appeared in the local papers a few times, which has introduced new members to the circle, and got us a few local exhibitions - all good!
huggies
Maria bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

DOn't have time to read beyond Paula's post at the moment but what she's mentioned is exactly what needs to be done.

The right demographics need to be determined. Research on the habits of collectors.... age, gender, amount spent per item, household income, all that dry boring statistical stuff needs to be collected.

When teddy bear collecting was at it's peak in the 90s what age group was buying? 30s, 40s, 50s? All those folks who are now paying for kids college, retiring, down-sizing, on fixed income, etc. So, it's time to go after that age group again! How?

Ads in other trade mags is a great idea. Craft mags, antique mags, fashion mags, art mags. How about inviting the quilter's guild or garden club to shows at a discounted rate or for early bird shopping? How about the Parent/Teacher associations at local schools?

I've suggested teaching bear making workshops in your local community... as a night class at the high school, at your local library, quilt shop or craft shop. Think of how many folks, when scanning through the schedule will see "Bear Making 101" and wonder about it... they may not sign up, often folks have to be intorduced to an idea 3-4 times before their curiosity gets the best of them and they pursue the subject. Do demos at your kid's school.... today's kids are tomorrow's collectors... they are never too young to learn and appreciate special, handmade teddy bears.

Sure, the magazines, suppliers, etc have to promote the industry but we as individual artists have to do our part. It's not fair to think that you can "make them and they will sell". That you can sit at home, list a bear on eBay and then lay back and wait for the efforts OTHERS have done to promote handmade teddy bears pay off for YOU!

Another idea is to do home demonstrations. Ya know, like Tupperware, Avon, Longaberger Baskets, Pampered Chef, etc. It's like having your own private show! Get a neighbor to host the first party or a co-worker... they'll invite a lot of unsuspecting people who will quickly become bear lovers! Have bears for sale, do a little demo on what goes into bear making, EDUCATE your audience, have little gifts for each attendee. Perhaps do a Valentine's Day theme or Easter party...make it fun and irresistable.

I have oodles of ideas but have to run out the door right now... more later.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I was myself considering an ad in a different, non-teddy publication to generate interest---am hopeful of following through with that goal this year at some point.  I think the crossing over of markets is always a good thing.

..hate to bring up eBay as it's such a pain, but cross-posting in different categories is something the fairy artists are always working at---and I've emulated 'em.  I occassional list in miniatures, and in fairies, and in the art category besides the artist bears, and I've had success in that.  I think maybe mini bear artists are able to cross-list a bit easier than bigger bear artists because of the miniatures market.

As for the public classes and etc., those would be really fun, but I have a 20 month old at home and I work full-time, as does my husband.  Once I get home, the most important thing in my life is spending time with them..so I won't be able to do that.  I do get together with a librarian friend of mine, however, and we make bears together---she has grown children and she is networking and showing people at the library the bears we make together, and directing them towards teddies on the internet, so that's a good marketing process, but one I can't take credit for.

I manage a law office, and what with the methheads and stoners and drunk drivers, I must say I'm not particularly inspired to share teddies with the clients---for one thing, they usually already have a 'hobby' if you can call ruining your health and being a danger to others a hobby---and another, they're usually concentrated on trying to remedy their situations without going to prison.  [quirks eyebrows]

However, I do interact with the various courts in the surrounding cities and county, and I was contemplating bringing in some bear presents for the court workers who I've gotten to know over phoning about clients and etc.---they're such helpful people [if you know 'em!].  bear_original  Another goal for the new year!

Amelia

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

You are so tight Amelia it is much easier for mini artists to cross promote that thos eof us wiith larger bears. I was trying to think of things that do NOT take up a lot of extra time of an individual. Besides being a mother(my daughter soes more extra curiculla stuff than I can count) , daughter to extremely ill parents (sole extra support proviser), wife to self employed (means more paperwork), editor of magazine (yeaj that takes some time) and I teach bear making at a local community college,,,,,,,I'd like to habe time to persue the hobbies of both bear and jewellry making.

Oh I forgot, I also judge at least 2 bears shows a year and run a bear and doll show and through the magazine organise a bear competition at a large general craft show.

Now I'm not really complaining ......really I'm not .......but I suppose I'm looking for some passive but intersting ways to cross sell bears into the wider community.

Corss listing on ebay was one, using non-bear magazines is another.I'm already accessing the general craft show route,

Shows can be a touchy subject and as an orgainser of shows I often hear...."Well I'm selling ok on ebay and my website I don't need shows" but if a show can cross promote and get new collecotrs in .....we need to have good artists.  HHmmm catch 22 here.......any suggestions anyone?

We promote and get people in but the artists don't show.....artisst won't come without a guaranteed crowd!! Solutions please anyone.......

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sandra,
I'd be rich if I knew the solution to the bear show delima!
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
As we've discussed on threads thus far... there is no clear solution!

One other thought to gain new collectors..... TALK!!! When my UPS lady came with a delivery from a supplier one day I made a comment about how anxious I'd been to receive that mohair for a very special teddy bear order I had. The UPS lady must have thought about this 'thing' I do because with in a few weeks she asked to see my bears after I caught her peering in the window at them while waiting for me to get to the door! She bought one right then and there! (I guess I'm not supposed to tell that she was shopping while 'on the job'!)

Anyway, the receptionist at my doctor's office has also become a customer and while sharing my photo album with her a month or so ago of my latest creations another patient looked through it, took my business card and placed an order through my website later that same week.

TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU DO!!!! I was uncomfortable working into a conversation the fact that I made bears but I realized.... If I'm proud of my work and of the whole concept of collecting teddy bears.... if I really BELIEVE in it then I can promote it, talk it up, "sell" it if you will. Carrying a photo album helps a lot... I don't have to talk so much, the bears speak for me!  bear_original

We do have to become sales people. You can't be shy if you want to gain new collectors!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

The last replies are exactly what every home based "show" business has to do in order to be successful.  If you're selling Silpada, Tastefully simple, Pampered Chef (to name and plug a few) YOU have to do all the work to be successful and keep the business coming!  Bringing in new hostesses, calling on past customers and dropping emails or notes in the mail, keeping everyone informed.
TALKING (like Daphne mentioned) to everyone you meet who might be a potential customer/collector/creator.  Clear window stickers for your CAR to advertise...Imagine driving behind a simple "WWW.-------" and getting home to see what it was all about. Keeping cards with you at all times and "catalogs" in your car for when a conversation strikes up while you're running around during your day. Home based businesses even have tshirts made to promote themselves! It's what they all do and it works! I'm making simple transfers using stuff from Staples and putting on Old navy black tees. Not to sell, but to wear if I'm hitting a crafts fest, the local arts festivals, or something like that.

After typing about my friends artisan jewelry in another post  it made me think about linking up to other sites outside of bear making.  We're all swapping links with each other...but what about quilters, jewelry artists, sculptors, folk arts, any number of people in OR out of the arts that we may know who we can exchange links with in order to bring in new eyes. 

:hug:
~Chrissi

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Twincubs wrote:

Laughing here as I've made even my hubby wear a T-shirt with my teds on it when we're at a show!  Poor man.  But he goes along with it so what can I say?  I'm lucky!  The elf hat at the last show with the pointy ears almost pushed him over the edge though but he still did it.

And swapping links with other artists who do jewelry, etc., is a great idea!  Thanks!

Laughing here!! My hub will be wearing one too. I'll try to make his as basic and manly as I can!  he he he :crackup:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I know we have had this discussion with many bear artist over the last couple of yrs.  I think part of the problem is and I'm not putting anyone down here but I do see it all the time.  Some bear artist don't do anything to promote themselves or to drum up new business.  Some look at it as a hobby and not a business, if you want to be successful you have to think of it as a business.  It's fun to make and sell bears but there is a lot more that goes into it than just the bears themselves.  It's important to talk to collectors, when you have people at your table who are just looking then talk about your bears.  Now I'm not saying you should be pushy or in their face, just talk about the bears and what goes into it, I don't care if a person doesn't buy a bear from me but at least I met some new people and now they know about us.  The other thing is to appreciate your collectors, do special things for them.  Send out thank you cards (not an email as that is sooooo inpersonal).  Send out christmas cards to them every yr.  We also provide our collectors with Bear Guy Bucks, every bear they buy we give them $10.00 in Bear Guy Bucks that they can use when they purchase another bear.

We have taken magazines to our doctor's office and dropped them off,  dentist office as well.  People always pick up a magazine when they are in the waiting room, since a lot of people don't even realize there are bear magazines out there then this opens up a whole new  world to them and that is one way of getting new collectors. 

Doing small craft shows,  they don't usually cost a lot.  Don't expect to sell a lot of bears if any but again it's advertising and you are introducing people to artist bears, make sure you have information on hand about some bear shows in the area you would be surprised how many people will show up at the next bear show to snoop around and perhaps become hooked. 

It's important to get out and show off your work, ebay is nice and all these other online shows are nice but we need the bear shows if we are going to survive.  I don't normally buy a bear off of ebay or from an online show, I want to pick it up and feel it and see the quality of he bear.  Trust me I have seen some beautiful bears on ebay and then saw them in person and they were awlful and poorly made, and these people paid huge top dollar for the bear (it's amazing the flaws you can get rid of with photoshop).   

Also have your own show out of your home, this is something we will be doing this yr.  We plan on having a couple of other artist bring in some of their bears as well as our supplier.  Send out invitations to people in your area advertise in the local paper,  make it a fun time.  This isn't going to cost you a lot of money since it is out of your home, have some wine and cheese or punch and small sandwiches.  Introduce people to the world of artist teddy bears, they get to see finished bears and then you have the opportunity to show them how a bear is made and what goes into it.

We also have classes out of our house, almost everyone who has taken our classes have not made a bear before.  These people then started coming to the shows and seeing us and the other artist.  Some have become collectors, most have not turned into artist as they don't want to but they have turned into collectors.

Hmmmm have I rambled on enough,   I'm sorry for such a long post but just so many thoughts running through my head  bear_wacko 

big hugs 

Shane

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great ideas and suggestions!

SHane, I've watched you and Steven in action at Schuaumburg..... you guys have the perfect personality for doing shows and talking and laughing and having a good time. You draw people in. I watched many come back a second or third time to chat some more, many buying a bear from you. I've been in retail sales a long time but have yet to be that outgoing.... it takes a special person but having that gift pays off in so many ways!

Whether doing a show in person or selling over the internet customer relations are SO important. There are artists I won't buy from ever again because of their personality at shows. Hey, you buy a bear from a grumpy person and no matter how adorable and happy the bear may look you are going to remember the grumpy artist you bought it from and how they were too busy talking to a neighbor or on their cell phone or reading a book to acknowledge you, then only accepted cash and didn't have a bag for your new bear. Oh, believe me, there are those artists out there. Perhaps they are the hobbyists but they make a bad name for those of us who are trying to make a living doing this.

Now I'm on a tear here. Sorry! My point: SINCERE kindness and a friendly disposition gets you everywhere!!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
Daphne wrote:

My point: SINCERE kindness and a friendly disposition gets you everywhere!!

You are so right Daphne, being friendly is the easy part.  Artist just have to remember that when they are at a show they must talk to the collectors.  I see people all the time at bear shows, that sit behind their table all day long.  We rarely sit when we are at a show, it's best to be standing up behind the table or even move to the front of the table.  Artist will grumble that they don't sell at a bear show, well if your just gonna sit behind the table and put no effort into it then why would I buy from you.  If you look like your having a miserable time and are grumpy people notice that and you do give off certain vibes and it will push people away from your table.  Now that said we do have a friend who has leg problems and can't stand for long periods of time, we suggested to her to bring a chair that was a bit higher so she wasn't hiding behind her display and she could be seen.

We love to talk but not everyone is like that,  Steve is much more outgoing at shows than I am but I have gotten a lot better I just had to work through my shyness. (I can hear some people laughing about that comment  bear_grin ) .  I look at it this way,  when people are buying one of our bears they are buying a memory.  They will look at that bear and they will remember us and will remember even at what show they bought it at.  People have come back and told us this time and time again, about a bear they bought and at what show.   

So as Daphne said, be kind and friendly to your collectors, even if you aren't in a good mood put on that fake smile and go for it.

But as for selling bears, you need to get yourself out there, the more people whosee you or hear about your bears the better sales will be.  Our sales have doubled in the last yr and that's because we have worked really hard at doing shows and being involved in different things that gets are name out there.  Send in photo's to magazines, attend shows.  Carry business cards with you so you have them on hand in case you are talking to someone and they seem interested hand them a card.  It's a lot of hard work, well I wouldn't say hard it's work but it's fun work or else we wouldn't being doing it.

big hugs

Shane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Twincubs wrote:

............... The elf hat at the last show with the pointy ears almost pushed him over the edge though but he still did it.......

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   Oh my gosh Lisa!!!!!

thebearguys wrote:

.....  Artist just have to remember that when they are at a show they must talk to the collectors......

Believe it or not I am also shy at first... in person especially.  When I did my first show in 2005 I was petrified.... because I know I needed to talk to people... but didn't know what to talk ABOUT.  I didn't want to just start talking about my bears... it seemed pushy to me.

I realized then (duh!) that people LOVE to talk about their own collection!  So I'd ask about their collections... who had they adopted yet (if they had bag(s) ) etc....  I really had a great time even when I didn't sell bears.  I just loved being about to talk about teddy bears... and it helped me to get over being shy  too.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I just remembered something that happened a few days ago....

I was in line at the post office and I brought a bear with me... I know one of the women there collects teddy bears and I never had a chance to show her one of mine. 

Well, when I go to the post office, I carry the boxes in a basket.  So I had this little guy peeking out over the edge of the basket as I stood in line... and the lady behind me asked about him.

I told her that I was a teddy artist and collector...she never heard of this before and asked what you do with the bears you collect.

I told her that I use them as home decor... you know.. like Hummels (trying to put it in words a non teddy collector would understand)

So she asked ... "If I walked into your house would there be bears EVERYwhere?"  I said no, personally I like to decorate with them here and there... although some people do like to put them everywhere.

NOW.... this is where I SHOULD have had my TeddyBearCollecting.com brochure!!!  I just haven't made them yet!  The purpose is to introduce people to teddy bear collecting in general... and then artist bears specifically.  It's on my loooooonnnngg list of "to do" things!  But after that experience... it may get pushed up a bit!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Two shows I have done were ideally set to bring in new collectors.... one was one an artist here organised (Wendy Bergamin) which was done in an lovely glass Atrium sort of area off a restaurant in one of Melbourne's touristy spots. Entry was only via a gold coin donation (thats $1 or $2 for those outside Oz;) ) and it went to charity, so people were enticed to come in, only a couple of dollars why not? was their thoughts... plus the glass walls meant they could see there was something interesting in there!:) Lots of people who had never seen artist bears came in and were introduced to our world.
    Another was the show on the Gold Coast last September held in a shopping centre/mall. It was free entry, and in a very popular holiday area here, during school holidays/vacation. So people would wander through- while I don't think it was an outrageously successful show for most saleswise, I know I at least sold a bear to someone who had not collected artist bears before, tho she did have some Boyds bears. But maybe it's a start on a whole new side of her collecting for her.......
        Of course the mall thing brings in the problem of people who arent so aware of what they are looking at and lots of explanations about why its so expensive and worries about grubby hands, but it was nice to introduce newcomers to just what it is we do.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You guys have been so inspiring! 

I got off my always enthusiastic but sometimes also fraidy-cat duff and did something today as a result of all this talk at TT about gathering new collectors and helping the industry.  I've been contemplating this for a while but this week's chipper discussions pushed me to be proactive and to get past my fear of failure.

Today, I wrote to LARK BOOKS and proposed what I hope will be their next book title, 500 HANDMADE TEDDY BEARS.  I also volunteered to help in any way I could, including preparing a porfolio of work by today's artists if they'd like to see more of the TEDDY BEAR AS ART before making their decision.

It's not as much a long-shot as you might think; LARK just closed the window on submissions for their fall 2007 volume, 500 Handmade Dolls.  Not such a far cry from bears, eh?

If you haven't seen these beautiful coffee table books, go to your local bookseller and check them out.  There's an entire series of them -- 500 Necklaces, 500 Bracelets, 500 Objects in Polymer Clay, 500 Pitchers, 500 Glass Objects, 1000 Glass Beads (okay, that one's not 500, but it's the same series!) 

The books are all these fat little square shaped dollops of beauty with AMAZING photography and they truly qualify as "coffee table books."  They're not how-to books but showcases of art in truest sense across many forms and mediums.  They're really eye catching when displayed in bookstores and are often displayed en masse in a large group so one title draws attention to the next.  If we can get LARK to bite on this concept we'd have some great exposure to an entirely new audience.  I wrote my best and most professional letter.  We'll see where it lands.

I'll keep you all posted and let you know what they say.  Their website says that sometimes their acquisitions departments takes two months or longer to respond to author queries so don't expect to hear by next week.  But I will follow through and keep you posted.

Cross fingers; this could be great exposure, and hopefully they won't laugh at me for suggesting the idea.  If they do go for it, there are very stringent photo guidelines for submitting artwork to them (must be digital RAW files or slides/transparencies ONLY), but I can help with that and even recommend a place online that develops slides in one day.

Wish us ALL luck that they like the idea!  And thanks to all of you for the inspiration and enthusiasm you consistently showcase for all things bear.  I love you guys!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

What a great idea Shelli........if you need any help from the Australia side let me know.....as I;m sure all other Aus artists on TT would offer as well.

FOr my part I've already talked to my boss about allocating some old issues to leave in odd places like Dr's and dentists rooms.......I think he thought I was nuts but too polite to say so. :dance:  :dance:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Shelli, that book proposal is a fantastic idea! How could Lark say no? bear_thumb So can I volunteer to proofread it? bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great idea, Shel!  :dance:

Sandra, that's why he has you.... to think outside the box, improve readership, etc. Just smile and say "Trust Me!"  bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

Today, I wrote to LARK BOOKS and proposed what I hope will be their next book title, 500 HANDMADE TEDDY BEARS.  I also volunteered to help in any way I could, including preparing a porfolio of work by today's artists if they'd like to see more of the TEDDY BEAR AS ART before making their decision.

It's not as much a long-shot as you might think; LARK just closed the window on submissions for their fall 2007 volume, 500 Handmade Dolls.  Not such a far cry from bears, eh?

If you haven't seen these beautiful coffee table books, go to your local bookseller and check them out.  There's an entire series of them -- 500 Necklaces, 500 Bracelets, 500 Objects in Polymer Clay, 500 Pitchers, 500 Glass Objects, 1000 Glass Beads (okay, that one's not 500, but it's the same series!) 

The books are all these fat little square shaped dollops of beauty with AMAZING photography and they truly qualify as "coffee table books."  They're not how-to books but showcases of art in truest sense across many forms and mediums.  They're really eye catching when displayed in bookstores and are often displayed en masse in a large group so one title draws attention to the next.  If we can get LARK to bite on this concept we'd have some great exposure to an entirely new audience.  I wrote my best and most professional letter.  We'll see where it lands.

I'll keep you all posted and let you know what they say.  Their website says that sometimes their acquisitions departments takes two months or longer to respond to author queries so don't expect to hear by next week.  But I will follow through and keep you posted.

Cross fingers; this could be great exposure, and hopefully they won't laugh at me for suggesting the idea.  If they do go for it, there are very stringent photo guidelines for submitting artwork to them (must be digital RAW files or slides/transparencies ONLY), but I can help with that and even recommend a place online that develops slides in one day.

Wish us ALL luck that they like the idea!  And thanks to all of you for the inspiration and enthusiasm you consistently showcase for all things bear.  I love you guys!

Lark Books has published a teddy bear book, but I've not been able to find it . . . maybe it's out of print.  Anyhoo, the reason I know is because they solicited photos of my bears (along with a gazillion other artists) to put in the book.  This was in 2000.  Two of my bears - Butterscotch and Emerson - were chosen to go in the book and it was published in 2001.  The title is/was Making Teddy Bears:  Celebrating 100 Years, or just Making Teddy Bears.  The editor at that time was Paige Gilchrist and is the book's author.  I did receive a complimentary copy of the book and it's really nice, but they made an error with one of my bears . . . attributing it to Blanche Blakeny rather than me.  Hopefully, Lark will respond positively to your inquiry, Shelli . . . what an outstanding idea!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, how cool is that, Sue Ann!  Why is this the first we're hearing about it, woman?  I'm going to underwrite some "toot your own horn" lessons for you, oh talented and esteemed one.  I'll have to look for that book on the shelves or online.  Total bummer that they misattributed one of your bears to another artist.  But hey; WE know a Past Time critter when we see one!!!

Lark says on their website that they are, almost without exception, publishers of how-to books, and that's been what I've found on their site and in shops as well.  EXCEPT for their "500" series, that is... which is really and truly not a "how to" or "making" kind of thing but rather, a series of books that are huge compilations of nothing but beautiful art pieces, arranged into separate volumes by subject, and showcased in photo gallery format with the only text being tiny captions beneath each photo specifying artist and materials, and every once in a while scattered throughout the book, an artist quote.

I hope the idea flies.  Frankly I think it's a good one and it would be such an eye catching way for us to get noticed by a wider audience, across "regular people" venues -- bookstores! 

Here's a link to info on the "500" series specifically, and cover shots of some of the titles...  http://www.larkbooks.com/Book/CategoryD … ey=1331037

I tend to suffer premature excitation when it comes to ideas and concepts.  Nothing has obviously been approved here!  I'm just dreaming out loud to my friends, and  I'm excited about the possiibility that Sue Ann and others who make VERY print-worthy, coffee-table worthy teddies might be able to have their work displayed in such a volume.  And I really don't see why Lark wouldn't go for this idea under normal circumstances, because it's right up their alley!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's the book Sue Ann is in!!

http://www.webwombatbooks.com.au/featur … 1579903794

This is the book, right, Sue Ann, OH FAMOUS ONE!? :hug:

Board footer