Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

wynnstan-010.jpgwynnstan-009.jpgwynnstan-007.jpgThis is our new baby.  His name is Sir Wynnstan of Potter House.  He is an English Springer Spaniel.  We have had him just two weeks, and he is already spoiled and being smothered with love.  He also returns this love.  He is so precious.  I had forgotten how much fun puppies can be.

K Pawz Guest

OMG look at that face.... bear_wub He is absolutely adorable Mille, enjoy him!!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Nina, let me share with you some things I've recently learned about dogs...

Bwaahaahaa!   :crackup:

What a charmer this wee cutie is.  I'm sure you'll spoil him to death forever and he deserves every bit.  Diane's words keep ringing in my ears:  exercise, discipline, then affection!  Save the treats for last is how you do it, apparently!  Laughing here at my cluelessness with dogs...

Thanks so much for sharing a very positive spin on the sometimes headache of pets.  They are always worth it, aren't they, even when they lead us to misery.  Just like kids.

Enjoy him!!!

PS  Love the name!
PPS  If you ever have behavioral problems with him, I know a few people who can help!

Ohio

Thanks a lot Shelli.  Maybe I'm a bit biased, but this little guy is great.  He is almost housebroken already (he's 8 weeks old) and he is very obedient.  I have dealt with a lot of behavior problems in dogs in the past.  The one problem, which I do not foresee happening with Wynnstan, is aggression.  I have had a couple of dogs that I have had to put down for this reason.  Just after Christmas we had to put Anthony down.  He bit my daughter.  It was totally unprovoked and was not just a nip.  She will have a couple of scars from it.  I cannot and will not keep an aggressive dog.  But like I said, Wynnstan is not likely to have that problem.  He really is a little clown.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Lovely puppie!

Enjoy him and take lots of piccies!

Babies grow so fast!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Lynn Wisconsin

Love your puppy!!!!!  We have a springer also, they are great family dogs. 

Have Fun with him!
Lynn

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

He is adorable. Puppies are just so much fun and show so much love!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I just want to KISS him!!  bear_wub

I've grown up with Springers and my parents still have 2......they are the most loving dogs!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

He will have you wrapped around his paw in no time!

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

He is beautiful!! I just love dogs! bear_wub  bear_wub

Joan

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I love your new baby  bear_wub he is very sweet.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower  bear_cry

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Just toooo cute for words bear_wub  :hug:  bear_thumb

Ely Nebraska

Awe, he's adorable!

beary_clairey Luton

Oh I love him!!!  bear_wub   bear_wub   bear_wub

He is such a gorgeous pup!!!

I also have a spaniel but she's a Cavalier King Charles. She's so regal and when we got her we called her Honey after Sad Sam's girlfriend!!!

I love Puppies - just don't miss the toilet training!!!

LOL

Claire

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
millie wrote:

The one problem, which I do not foresee happening with Wynnstan, is aggression.  I have had a couple of dogs that I have had to put down for this reason.  Just after Christmas we had to put Anthony down.  He bit my daughter.  It was totally unprovoked and was not just a nip.  She will have a couple of scars from it.  I cannot and will not keep an aggressive dog.

Out of curiosity, what breed was Anthony??  When I was dog grooming back in the mid 90s, I started coming across springers on the Oregon coast that had aggression problems.  Actually, it was a bit worse, as many of the owners referred to 'rage attacks', and mentioned some of the dogs were being put on prozac  bear_wacko !  One of the absolute scariest, unprovoked attacks came from a large male springer....and it was the wierdest thing.  One minute I'm on the floor with him (he was tremendously large), clipping the side of his face ~ and the next my arm was flung up in reflex because he was literally going for MY face!   bear_shocked   I say its wierd because dogs go through a very highly ritualized behavior prior to an attack...and nothing, not a peep, sound, funny look.....just one second happily standing there, the next, teeth and not letting up, either. 

As for your baby.....awwwwwwhhhhhh  bear_wub  That first photo just begs to be made into a soft plushie  bear_wub

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Oh, he's just too cute Millie!!  I wish I could hug him........love that special puppy 'smell'. bear_wub

Ohio

Debbie,

In answer to your question, Anthony was an American Staffordshire (Pit Bull).  We took him in as a rescue when he was 10 weeks old.  We knew there was some risk.  A friend of my daughter's got him in Missouri and then decided she didn't want him.  She bought him as a registered pup and "would receive papers in the mail".  She never did.  We think he was a lab/pit mix.  At 12 weeks we did see some hints of things to come (food aggression) but decided to give him a chance.  He never showed any aggression at all toward people.  When he bit my daughter, we think he was actually going for the other dog that was standing beside her.  But the bite was a nasty one, and if that had been a small child, we probably would have been looking at reconstructive surgery.   He was progressively getting worse.  The vet said that 90% of pits are just big lovable dogs.  However, because of breeding, that other 10% has aggression they just don't know what to do with.  Anthony was one of those.  It is a tough thing to do.  To put down a perfectly healthy dog that loves you.

As for Wynnstan, we have seen a few things in him.  For instance, snooping into everything (he now goes up the stairs and has discovered my work room), also tormenting the cats and my yorkie (they think he should go back where he came from, and he thinks they would make lovely playmates), chewing etc. etc. etc.  You get the picture?  Typical baby behavior.  He is such a clown and he loves people.  We had a wonderful springer that my kids grew up with and Wynnstan is almost the clone of Beau.  I do know that some breeds are being ruined with careless breeding practices.  I just hate seeing what is being done to the Yorkies right now.  But we were able to check Wynnstan's lineage back 9 generations with no signs of inbreeding etc.  He did not come from a puppy mill.  Just a lady in the area who had a wonderful female that she wanted to let have a litter.  She was very picky about the sire.  She had 11 pups, and she will not be breeding her again.  So we feel very lucky to have found Wynnstan.  We are hoping for many years with him.

By the way, I have already thought of a mohair replica of him.  I made one years ago of my Yorkie, and I love it.

That's so sad about Anthony, but you're absolutely right with the answer.  Otherwise its just a matter of time before things get worse.  And I'll agree with the vets 90% of the pit bulls are fantastic with people, tend to be very friendly, etc, etc.  Its the rest that are the results of poor breeding, poor training, or far far worse, encouraging the bad behavior in beliefs it will turn the dog into a 'guard' dog, that give breeds a bad name.

I was just curious if anyone else had come across these 'rage attacks' in springers?  I kept my mouth shut, because so many of my clients chatted on like this was normal for the breed, but it seemed like poor breeding habits to me. 

It sounds like Wynnstan's got the absolute best start on life.  It must be such fun to have a baby in the house again  bear_wub

Ohio

Debbie,
I have seen rage attacks in two dogs, one was a German shepherd and the other was a mixed breed.  The shepherd directed his attacks to other dogs, but the mixed breed went for people's faces.  I heard a professional trainer comment on this.  She basically said that it is not reversable and it is a law suit waiting to happen.

The wierdest part of these 'rage attacks' were that the people said it didn't start happening until the dog was slightly older.... sometimes starting around the 3-5 year age bracket.  Most of them took the dog to the vet to be placed on Prozac.  All I know is that the attack I underwent was a bit unhinging, because the dog didn't go through any of the ritual looks, postures, growls, whines, etc, etc....just absolute silence, and like flipping a switch.  bear_shocked

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

He is adorable!!!!!!!

Lucky you.
Danni

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Love him what a face. Enjoy him Millie.  bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Milli: Sir Wynnstan of Potter House is just adorable. Enjoy having fun with him.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I agree with Gemma...I wanna kiss him too  bear_tongue   he is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I want him...pweeze!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

How'd I miss this thread???!!  Millie, he's adorable!  There's nothing like a puppy belly, don'tcha just love the way puppies sleep?  bear_wub

:hug:
~Chrissi

Board footer