Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

So...I made my little Taffy bear (see Sweet As Cotton Candy if you haven't yet) and no matter how careful I was while closing her little seams I found that the fur easily matted and to me doesn't look as shiny and fluffly in those areas.  I carefully picked and picked and picked as I went but it took me FOREVER to close her up and then picked some more and brush out her seam areas.  I finally gave up because I was afraid she'd be have bare spots before it was over. 

Is this typical with denser fur?  Or am I missing some technique?  I now you can trim the seam allowances prior to sewing and that helps but I still feel the need to pick out every wisp.

Shantell

Oops...I meant to put this in Teddy Tips & Techniques...see I can't follow directions very well bear_happy

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Shantell,
                     I trim my seam allowance before stitching as it does leave a much tidier seam. Try it next time and you will see a diffence. 

Hugs Rita xx

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Hi Shantell,
I work mainly with real fur and I also trim the seam allowances before sewing.  This does help as not much fur gets trapped in the seam.  It may seem time consuming but I think it saves time in the long run.

Willamette Valley Oregon

You talked me into it...so today while I was out shopping...I bought some clippers with guards...cheap...so if they don't work very well...I can shave the cat the next time I catch him with a baby grey squirrel in his mouth.....grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!  I know it's instinct and I should be thrilled him brings them to me...but can't he PUHLEEEZE do them in first...AUGH!!!

Also, scored on some great sheer ribbon in a rainbow of colors...include rainbow...for less then a $1 a roll....YEAH...happy camper.  Even if I don't use it on bears it'll be great for fancy schmancy gift wrapping!!!! bear_laugh

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell

I'm sure you are aware of this but there are different qualities of synthetics. Have you ever gotten any from Edinburgh? There is such a difference between those and fabric store synthetics. It sounds like you used the latter. So, definitely trim the seams. It does mat and loose it's sheen quite quickly the more it's worked with. Just sitting on their tushes for a long time causes matting and dullness that you can't bring back with a brush as you can mohair or german synthetics.

Sounds like you scored big on your shopping spree! You go, girl!!!

Daphne

Willamette Valley Oregon

Daphne,

I figured there was...just seems logical that paying $20/yd vs $110/yd there would be quality differences.  I have not bought any from Edinburgh yet...I just plain get overwhelmed with what I want...that and I'm trying to be realistic and try out a pattern a time or two before I actually invest in more expensive fur and risk ruining a nice quality piece of synthetic or mohair.    My little pink bear turned out nice...I'm happy with her....after all I did chop up her first head bear_rolleyes

Now...my mom tells me she wants me to make her a panda!!!  Not sure how to do the whole eye patch thing...I may cheat and paint in on ;)

Shantell

Board footer