Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Soo... how far do you go into denial before saying a bear is just NOT WORKING???

I made a new design and wanted to try it out on some scrap material I had left over from a large bunny I made for my mom.  Very furry.  Thought it might be cute.  Didn't want to use my new mini fabric Deborah sent me on an untested design.  (thanks Deb!!!)

Here's just the body and legs...

furrybody.jpg

Yep.  There's legs AND a body there!  I don't think it's the design, but could be.  Ya can't tell!!!  It's too furry!

THEN, like an idiot, I marked the feet with removeable ink to do a little sculpting... didn't test it on the fabric first.  Yep.  Wouldn't come out.  So I thought, hey I have new fabric paint, let's use it instead for something different.  Came out gloopy, looks horrible and feels like the bottom of "footie" PJs.

furryfeet.jpg

When do I give up????   bear_sad   Do any of you just keep tredging on when a bear goes all wrong??

Help!  I don't know what to do.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

Hi Ann
I know exactly what you meen.
The fabric looks terrific.
CouldnĀ“t you just put some other fabric on for the paws?

Maybe you could save him.  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Well, I think you should keep going. He looks kinda cute body and legs/feet so he'll look cute with a head and arms too. Maybe he could be the friendly  mini abominable snow man. bear_original

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Wow that's gonna be the cutest snowman ever  bear_grin No, seriously, he could turn out very cute. try needle felting the footpads or applique some other fabric. You could also do some scissor sculting or if you (or hubby  bear_tongue ) have a beard trimmer you can shear the fur down. Perhaps a bow above the eyes like a yorkie. Do keep going, it'll be fun.

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

abominable snow man.

Hahahahahhaa exactly what I thought when I saw it.... keep going !!  lol what hve u go to lose? the parts are all done right?  or are they?  I could never do a head last...I need to see the head first.....  to make the rest of the body

sarahjane Brisbane

Keep going...keep going...we wanna see.....It looks like it's going to be the cutest abominable snowman ever!!!! As for the gloopy stuff on his feet....he might need that to stop him slipping over in all that snow!!!  bear_grin

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Ann I did the same thing with one of my Patchwork Pocket bears.... the fur was just TOO long!  So after he was stuffed... I got my sharp embroidery scissors out and trimmed... and trimmed and trimmed!  It worked!!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I agree, he could be really cute with the long fur. Keep going. Sometimes you've just gotta experiment.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Ann I say keep going,  there's nothing wrong with a mini bear with lots of fur.  We have done tons of bears with super long fur and you can't tell where the arms and legs are attached to the body.  Once you do the head and trim and scissor sculpt it I will gurantee you it will be beautiful.

I have attached a pic of a bear we made with Mongolian lamb fur, this stuff is about 4" long if not longer, and the bear is about 12" you can't tell where the arms and legs are but that's the fun of bear making.  I know he's not a mini but we have done small bears under 6" with really long fur and they do come out cute.

It's just like Tami said go for it and experiment ,  it will work out in the end.  As for the feet pads maybe try redoing them or needle felting over top of the existing one.

good luck and big hugs

Shane

RW.jpg

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Go for it Ann ... many a wonderful design has been made by accident!

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Please keep working on this little guy.  You may be really surprised at how he turns out.  I have worked on lots of bears and have thought "Gosh, I'm not happy at all with this",  I have kept going and trying different techniques, which is fun in itself, and have ended up with a bear that I have been really pleased with.

Let this little guy live!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope we can see the results if you decide to carry on.  Good luck.

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Thanks everyone... my little snowman is going to live!  I've got the arms done and the head is together.  I'm trying to decide whether he's gonna be a little yeti, or if I should try to trim him up enought to look like a bear.   bear_grin

He looks like a tiny "Bumble" from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer right now!

Since I like to needle felt feet, I might as well do it to this one.  I use a soft cream cordaroy for his pads and liked it, but now you'll not be able to see them on the feet.  Oh, well!! 

I'll post another pic when I'm done.

Shane, LOVE that bear!!

Thanks for all the help guys!  Ya'll ROCK.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

make a pair of fantastic shoes or slippers for the bear!

Waterloo, Ontario

Ann don't do any trimming to the body until you get him all done heehee, if you decide to trim the rest of the fur make sure to take a before and after pic of him.  I think he'll be adorable with all the long fur and the face peeking out,  you could always call him "Bumble".

Thanks for the compliment on our bear, he was easy enough to stich but took about 12-15 hours to stuff ugghhhh but we were pleased with the results.

big hugs

Shane

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I don't mean to chuckle but I have had the same problems with one of the bears I was working on.  After three bodies, I decided to make him into a lion!!!

And I am using vintage plush for his body.

Fingers crossed it  works and I'll post him here when he's done.

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

OK... haven't fixed the feet yet, but I present to you kind fellow Teddy-Talkers...

ABBY!!  The Smallest Abominable Snowman!!  Or Yeti...

abby1.jpg

bear_grin

Waterloo, Ontario

Adorable heehee,  I think it came out great.     Are you happy with it or are you still going to do more clipping?

big hugs

Shane

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

He could also be a Wookie... A Snow Wookie...

Shane, I think I like him just the way he is!!  I think I might even leave the feet, my mother suggested that he would need skid-free feet for the ice!!

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Awwwww... Ann......he is so cute!!   I think he is great.!!   

If you feel the need for accessory for his feet... try a snowshoe....but, really,  non-skid pads are perfect as they are.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Its not like you could salvage the fabric for  BIG BEAR so you might as well finish him up and see what comes....the worst that could happen?  You aren't happy with him

But

What if you finish him and you adore him and he is perfect?

You wont know if you don't give it a go

hugs
dilu

beary_clairey Luton

Oh I just love him !!! He does look like the abominable snowman!!! I think this could be a new trend!!!

Totally fabulous !!!

THUMB_13.GIF

Hugs

Claire

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Oh, I'm so glad you decided to continue on with this little guy. I absolutely love him. He is the friendly mini abominable snowman. He's great. How are you feeling about him? I don't see how you could resist his charms.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh cute!  Aren't you glad you finished him bear_original  I finish everything...if it comes out too badly I name them something like Dudley and they get given to the kids in the family  bear_tongue

sarahjane Brisbane

Tooo cute I love her.....I'm glad you finished her!!!  bear_original

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I think he looks great. Very tactile. I would give him dog ears. But that is just me.
bear_thumb

Board footer