Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I thought this might be an interesting topic. The latest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors has an interesting question asked and then answered by readers/artists.  The answers are all very interesting and different.

Here's the question:

For Love or Money? Would you rather sell a piece of work that you were not completely happy with for a grand sum, or make a piece that you thought was a perfect expression of your artistry and never receive any reward except personal satisfaction?

(I'm throwing in that "not completely happy with" will have different meanings for everyone, it's not at all referring to shoddy work or workmanship quality..unless that's your personal take on "not completely happy with".)

For those who have never seen, Cloth Paper Scissors is a collage/mixed media magazine.  Filled with art pieces, how to's, project ideas and eye candy. 

:hug:
~Chrissi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I love CLOTH, PAPER, SCISSORS, and have that issue.  I read that article with interest!

My answer would have to be... "depends on how broke I am!"  It's a luxury to be able to finesse all the details to perfection, as I'd like to.  I rarely have time to do and then RE-do a piece, I mean.  Of course I always strive to do and sell my best work and if a piece really just irks me I won't put it on the market; that happens occasionally, although usually I can rescue it so that I think it's really cute and very nicely made, but just not what I had hoped it would be.

Reality is where I live, though... and I find I don't have the time or energy to focus really diligently on those really extraordinary pieces all that often because I have to pay the bills.  It's one of those life lessons for me; learning that "good enough" is good enough, and that everything doesn't HAVE TO be perfect -- whatever "perfect" is, by the way.  The pieces that get an extroardinary amount of attention and time spent are generally my contest submissions and they take significantly longer to imagineer and create than a "normal" bear of mine.  I could never do this for a living if I approached each bear in that way.  I'd make ten bears a year, if that.

If, however, we're talking about, "Would I rather sell a crap bear for cash then keep it until I was satisfied?", that answer is clear.  I'd never sell crap.  I wouldn't feel good about how it represents me; how it represents my talent, and workmanship, and integrity, and respect for customers.  Selling crap would make me look AND feel bad.  So it's just not an option.

I'll be interested to see what others write.  Great question, Chrissi!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

If I ever created a bear that I thought was the "prefect expression of my artistry"  I likely would not WANT to sell it!  bear_grin But striving toward that goal is likely what keeps a lot of us going!
Although it is definitely a thrill to sell a bear for more than you expected, I would not be happy at all if I felt it went for way more than it was worth - whether I was actually pleased with the bear or not, so I would have to say that  "love" not "money" would be my answer. That said, I do NOT have to support myself with my bear income. I agree, Chrissi, that "not completely happy with" would have different meanings. For me it would mean the design didn't turn out as planned, not that it was shoddy work. I would like to think that the workmanship on all my bears was pretty well equal, but some bears DO just turn out a lot cuter and more appealing than others for whatever reason - but again sometimes the ones I think are the cutest are not the ones that attract the most attention from others.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've done both and have always been far happier when I've been able to create from the heart, without having to keep my bank balance in mind.  Having said that, when I was on my own I had to make to a schedule and forecast my cash flow to pay the household bills ... that created focus, but sometimes failed to completely satisfy my creativity.  I like being paid for what I do (who wouldn't?!) but I am without doubt, most content when I have the freedom to explore without time and cash related restraints.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yeah.  What Paula said.  She said it better.

bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well from my point of view I take the stance that if I were to do something that fell short of my expectations of myself artistically or in it's quality  I wouldn't sell it at all...but then I hope I wouldn't have made it.
One thing I do think is that if am ever getting the feeling that something is going drastically wrong with  a piece of work I tend to recognise where it's going early on..and then it gets either binned or altered before we get to the stage of wondering if I should sell it or not. My conscience won't let me do that to people.
That said I won't make things and give them away either  because I do need to earn a living and ..although I get lots in terms of job satisfaction ....I couldn't pay the bills by the mere thought of knowing that I excelled at making something...so I wouldn't do it for nothing..I can't afford to.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Both.

I have been a graphic designer for many years. And sometimes when I have done a logo I don't love, the customer loves it. You learn when to "cut loose" of the project because art is never perfect. I  made a monkey for a customer and I don't care for monkeys at all but she loved it. I didn't enjoy making it near as much as my bears. However, I would never sell or give away a piece of shoddy work. Quality control is the same for me across the board; give, sell or keep.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Chrissi,
     I'm a Cloth Paper Scissors "aholic" and I have that issue too, and all the others LOL!  In fact I have the newest one on my dining room table as we speak, and haven't had time to look at it - it's my reward for whenever I finally get caught up!
     I like to think I put 100% into everything I make, but for some bizarre reason (as Edie said) all bears have a different "cute" factor - go figure.  I have come to terms with the fact that items I think are not cute, will often greatly appeal to other people.
     Years ago, I used to sell through a store and they were having a special event.  I had made several pieces, and one was a mouse, fully clothed.  I absolutely hated it, when it was finished, but the owner of the store was short stock and begged me to bring it along.  It sat in the back seat with a brown paper bag over it - I KID YOU NOT!  I was so upset, as I didn't want anyone to see it.  Well, you know how the story ends - it was the first bloody thing that sold in the store that day and the buyer loved it!  So, what do I know and I guess my answer is "for money", as long as we're talking "appeal" rather than "shoddy workmanship".
     I do agree with Paula that having the time to make something for the love of it and not having to meet commitments for bills, is the best thing in the world and often produces the best results.

hugs,

Brenda

sarahjane Brisbane

Provided the bear was well made etc...ie no shoddy workmanship I would sell it and probably be thrilled if it made a lot of money (there is no accounting for other peoples taste)

but I think as an artist I would get far more satisfaction out of something that I felt met all my personal criteria for being a 'perfect expression of my artistry' whether I could sell it of not....

Board footer