Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I just got the mohair I bought from Intercal...and now that I have it I'm terrified to cut into it and ruin it.  AUGH!!!!!:| bear_noexpression

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha!!  I remember my first piece of mohair . . . it took days for me to get up enough courage to cut it.  Good luck!  Once you start sewing with it, you will never want to use synthetic again (at least I didn't!).

Deb Upstate New York

Me either SueAnn!  It's sooooooo forgiving, unlike synthetics.

Deb

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Mmm go and chop it up into little bear peices LOL  That is what you purchased it for afterall!!!!!!!!!

Ooh what fun you will have!
Danni

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantell,

Aren't you the one who literally hacked a bears head to pieces, violently violating a precious bruin who had absolutely nothing to give but love to you and the world?

:/

Of course I could be wrong-My brain is old and feeble, and then it does go wonky on us periodically-way to frequently periodically. bear_tongue

There is nothing for it, girl, just get out those scissors and cut.  For instance you could cut off the tag that intercal staples on- then you have a sample with the identifing card right there.  ( I save all of mine, but to be honest I don't know why. ) :lol:

Once you have made that first cut the rest is like eating ice cream!

JUST DO IT !!!!

And you really will find it wonderful to work with.

Once you have your first piece of mohair under your belt we can all tell you what WE do to mohair when we get it.

I dunk mine in the sink with water and squirt hair conditioner all over it and squish it through, rinse and hang to dry-

I find the pieces turn so nicely and easily-even little bitty pieces.  And it smells good too.

Ok.  Have you done anything yet?

No?

SHANTELL GET OVER IT!  DO SOMETHING!  YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT!  HONEST!

Hurry up, Oregon is already slipping inexorably into fall.  :(

And let us know how you feel- :rolleyes:

love ya

bear_tongue:P

Willamette Valley Oregon

Guilty as charged...that would be me...the head chopper...and I do harbor a bit a guilt...

So...you really rinse your mohair with conditioner first?  Hmmmm...

Anyone else do that?

Yep....It wasn't my idea, the lady who taught about bears taught me this too and she learned it from Joan W.  I can't remember how to spell her last name...but she's been in all the mags. Wosemmer...wolsemer...oh I don't know....but someone else will....they were good friends in So. Cal. many years ago....

So tell us....have you cut it yet?????

bear_tongue

WOESSNER

:P

Apologies to Joan.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Nope...still fondling it...

So...how long does it take to dry and do I just gently wring it out?  I was thinking that I wanted to try a bear this weekend because after Monday I'm out of commission for awhile.

Thanks Dilu...you're a peach!!!

It only takes a little bit of time-it's not like it was a feather pillow which could take years in Oregon. :lol:

If I did IT at night and hung it up in the tub over night it would be ready in the am

peachylu bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, Shantell, first, I'm trying not to sit here reading TT posts all day anymore... as much as I love all of you and think about you I must get ready for the shows I've got coming up. So, what is happening on Monday? Jane has her operation on Tuesday, I got that but what's happening to you?????? Now I'm worried!

Second, get cutting girl!!! It's yoummy looking mohair now but think how wonderful it will look as a bear you made with your very own hands!! You truly will love working with it and I'm willing to bet you'll never want to use synthetics again.

So, HURRY UP! Get cutting and let us know what you think!!

Hugs,
Daphne

Willamette Valley Oregon

Nothing to fret over, Daphne.  I'm having eye surgery on Tuesday.  I'm a pro at it now.  This will be my fourth surgery in four years...I should get my name on one the operating room doors or at least my own parking space but they are resisting...how rude!!! 

It's to hopefully slow the progression of my glaucoma...but my other eye has not been very cooperative...thus the repeat surgeries.  I told my eye doc that he'd had enough time to practice so could he get it right this time... bear_laugh bear_laugh  Thank goodness he never takes my smart mouth serious.

So...unfortunately I won't be able to see very well for several weeks...that part will stink...I hate the damn eye patch it makes me a cranky crazy woman. 

Shantell

P.S.  I "conditioned" one of my pieces of mohair...it's hanging to dry and tomorrow I will chop, chop, chop...with much more care then I exhibited previously bear_grin bear_grin

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shantell, watch your eyes. You'll need then to sew more and more beautiful bears. hearton.gif  Don't work up too late.

Wnen you chop your first cut, think of an adorable bear you'll get

Julia

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hey Shantell, go for it girl...but make sure the fur is running in the right direction. A good tip for this is to cut the pattern pieces out onto see through plastic sheets, this way you can see the fur and match up the pieces and know the fur is going in the right direction.
I hope that you eye surgery goes ok and that it heals really soon so you can get back here with us all and back to making your bears. We are all waiting to see some mohair Shantell bears.:)

Jane

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Shantell,  I hope all goes well with your op on Tuesday and wish for your speedy recovery.

For the mohair.....as everyone said..... Go for it !!  You can do it !! :D

Bear Hugs/Marie

Shantell

Be sure to take bussiness cards and a teddy bear with yu on tuesday-nurses are suckers....believe me.....and if you have one of your bears there to support you they will also see your work!

I'll be thinking of you tuesday

Hugs

Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

You will be happy to know that my mohair is dry and beary fresh (my conditioner was a berry scent :P) and I now have one bear cut out...and ready to make foo foo!!!

Yeah for me!!!

Shantell

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...it's really no big deal.  It was of course the first time around I called a couple days before surgery and told my doctor I had changed my mind...I said...I really like dogs so I don't mind having a seeing eye dog...he explained it all to me AGAIN and was more than reassuring...and then said...I'd think you'd look better with a patch and a parrot...I've been in love ever since. :)

The trips back and forth to Portland ever other day or more bothersome then the surgery itself.  I get tired of being in the car...and I get car sick.

I've resigned myself to a life time of eye problems.  I use to get so annoyed when I'd see people...guys especially...in stores, restaurants, etc. with their sunglasses on.  I'd think...oh come on you're not that cool...well...those thoughts came back to bite me in the butt...I'm now one of THOSE people.  I wear them everywhere.

Shantell

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Shantell...Hope all goes well with your eye surgery. Wearing a patch would get to be bothersome but it is for a very good reason.
On the lighter side...maybe you should make a mohair parrot, wear him on you shoulder then everyone will really turn around and do a double take...LOL.You would have the last laugh....and that would be a source of endless amusement for you....

Hmmm, I have some real powerful magnifier drug store glasses I use when doing teddy details..these could be really helpful  for you perhaps...ask your Dr....he sounds pretty witty.....Winney.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Dilu...After you squish the conditioner in...do you then rinse ?...Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Good, good luck with the surgery, Shantell . . . I hope it goes very well.  Now with your patch and parrot, you need to get a peg-leg!!  Speedy recovery to you and take care!

Winney!  hi honey-  yes I do rinse, but not a  complete rinse, a moderate rinse-did this make sense? :D

Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

Please tell me that this little head I have partly stuffed will stop looking like an matted mangy dog when I'm done...and that the fur does this when you are womanhandling it....cuz right now it looks like a giant dustbunny...or a rotten furry apple...not sure which yet.

oh...and I pretty much rinsed the mohair just like I would my own...turned out nice...until I started mauling it!!!

:/

Shantell

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

You can always use your brush (do you have one of those little finger brushes?) after you get through making your bear to spruce up the fur.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Yes, I do have one of those...this poor little bear is simply sad...he looks like he needs a tubby and a good beautician!!!

But...I did start the Extreme Sculpting class this afternoon...I only got through reading two chapters but I learned a bunch in just that little time...have yet to attack anything with scissors yet...but I can hardly wait.  bear_laugh

Pages:

Board footer