Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, wondering if could pick your brains again.
How much weight do those plasic pellets add to your bear??
Here's my issue, I'l still working on my large (to me) 14" bear. I used to making ones 11" or smaller and I'm stuck on what to fill it with. I have glass beads, but I would end up using all of them on such a large bear, I have poly fill and those squishy beads.
I've been waiting to go get some steelshot, but my poor bear is just sitting there unfinished. It would be much easier for me to go and pick up the plasic pellets, but I like a good heavy bear. Am I stuck trying to hunt down steelshot??
Thanks guys
Heather

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You can get heavier, high density plastic pellets....I know Peacock Fibres in the UK do them....There must be a supplier in Canada....

Jenny

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I guess you don't have a Wal Mart Calgary?  That's where I buy my steel shot (BBs).  Any store you have that carries ammunition and gun supplies will probably have the shot.  Also, please check out my friend Luann Bowen's site at www.lulubears.com.  She carries very tiny steel beads (heavier than glass beads, so you wouldn't have to use as much) that you can buy online.  Good luck.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys
And yes, Sue Ann, we do have a walmart but last time I was there they wouldn't sell me any steel shot. I guess the girl behind the counter didn't know what she was talking about, but I didnt find out she was wrong untill I got home and asked you guys.
Maybe I should just brave the busy walmart again, and if they won't sell me any, I'll have to ask for the manager.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yes, unless you have different laws concerning what's considered "ammunition" from what the US has.  I do remember now your saying that your Wal Mart wouldn't sell them to you . . . bummer!  The BBs that I buy from WM are locked in a glass case, but the salesperson always unlocks it for me and I pick out what I want.  Try again, and if they refuse . . . yes, you need to talk to someone higher up!!  Again, good luck!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Heather, you could also mix some glass pellets with some palstic ones. I don't find that the plastic pellets add a ton of weight but they do help. The jelly pellets are a tad heavier if you have those mix some glass pellets in with them. I vote for WalMart! bear_original

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I got some BB's from Walmart last week and was expecting to find them locked up.  They weren't.  There was a whole section of  them out with the rest of the sporting goods.   I just picked up what I wanted right off the shelf.   It is a good thing I didn't need help because the entire staff in that section was gathered around a talking, singing deer head giving that their full attention.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Heather, I buy steel shot at a sporting goods store. You can buy it in 10 pound bags and you can buy it in a variety of sizes. The store that I go to is Wholesale Sports, but I am not sure if they are a chain or not. Walmart in Canada doesn't sell steel shot in bulk. They will sell you shot gun shells but then you have to take them apart and they are a lot more expensive than buying the shot in bulk.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I want to caution you all about steel shot:

There is STEEL shot, then there is STAINLESS steel shot. The difference is that the steel eventually rusts creating a rusty brown powder. Not pretty on lighter colored fur! The stainless steel shot never rusts, never gets powdery and thus is the best choice for bears intended to last generations.

I learned this very reecently, the hard way. I never knew there were different kinds!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

And the Daisy brand is zinc coated.  Zinc prevents rust. 

Also... bb's are NOT ammunition because there is NO gunpowder bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I think we are getting the names of the items here and what they are really used for  all mixed up .It would be good to get a gun pro to jump in here the clarify this for us.

Steel shot is mainly used for shot guns and is an ammunition . I use BB's . zinc coated, they never rust.... I asked my husband and he says ..." yes, a BB gun is still considered a weapon "and " there are two types of shot" ...  Hmmmmmmm... Now I AM mixed up...oh well, I have what I safely need ...the BB's....Winney

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I am so jealous. I have ran out of shot and it costs me a lot of money because I have to have it posted. We have Asda here which is owned by Walmart but we would never have anything like the things you have.
Of course we don't have the hunting people here as much, many issues on that one. I worked in a gun shop when I was 17 but it has long since closed down. Anyone in England can you tell me where you get yours?

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Amanda!

I get all my fillings from Peacock Fibres, hang on let me get the site address for you..................

www.peacockfibres.co.uk    BRILLIANT!!!   Your can order plastic pellets, steel shot,  steel balls, fibre, mohair, ultrasuede etc etc, and the postage remains £8.90 or something, for kilos and kilos!!   They also provide an excellent sample pack, I am a new customer with them, and ordered some high density beads a few weeks ago, and asked for the sample pack, brilliant, I know exactly what I want next time, and they are so friendly too.

Hope this helps..........

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

(now adding "brilliant" to my new UK-only lexicon.  Works a treat! ;))

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, well, now I'm confussed. I get my Stainless Steel Shot directly from a medical and high tech equipment supplier..... they call it stainless steel shot, it is little shiny silver colored round balls and it's used in all sorts of things including the medical equipment they sell. Seems they'd have the correct terminology for the materials used in their euqipment but who knows! It's also available in chrome and high or low carbon. It comes in a zillion different sizes. I buy two different sizes.... some for bitty bears, some for bigger bears... in bulk for a very reasonable price. Comparable to any craft supplier or Wal mart. I'm confident in the qualtiy of what I use and it does the job, adds weight, so that's all that matters to me. :D

The dictionary says a BB is a specific sized SHOT pellet for use in a shot gun or air gun. So, I'm thinking SHOT and BB are one in the same??????

Like I said, I'm confussed! cwmddd.gif
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Don't know if it really even matters whether steel shot and BBs are one and the same, but to quote the text on my container of BBs, ".177Cal. BB (4.5mm) STEEL AIRGUN SHOT".

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Well, here in IL you canNOT buy ammunition without a gun card.  Their definition of ammunition is a shell which contains both the bullet and the gunpowder.  I can buy bb's here as long as I'm 18.  No gun card needed.   Also... if I wanted to buy just gunpowder I'd need my gun card.

But something that would work as well as bb's .... would be ball bearings!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, someone once recommended buying ball bearings from a hardware store as a cheap alternative to shot.  However, I couldn't find it locally.  I would be sure to get stainless steel/rustproof ones, if available, in any case.  I haven't had to look hard because, like Sue Ann and others, I get mine at WalMart, where it's kept on open stock shelves.  In CA, you must be 18 to purchase; no special permit required.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks Clare. Its great when we can share places to get things. It makes it so much easier when you can reccommend someone.

Board footer