Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Now that I have my committment done-I am in a quandry

Some of them simply don't seem good enough

Do you find yourselves in the same fix.....second guessing and wondering if you should hold back bears because it isn't "your best work"

I have already decided not to put up one of the girls, but I am considering a couple others too.....sigh

WHY do we always think we can do a little tiny bit better with the next kritter and are never satisfied with what we have created.....

Great!  i have talked myself into this-I am at least three short on my committment now.....

Sorry Nancy, hon, i will try to make them up.....

i work better under pressure and mom is moving in Thursday....yep that should be enough pressure....................................................

puca bears puca bears

Hi Dilu
you are certainly not alone in feeling like that - I think we are all personally our most severe critics. I know I can only see the bits I'm not happy with, and they distort my perception of the bear as a whole.
I can't imagine ever making a bear that I am totally happy with - just as well - because where would you go from there?????
huggies
Maria bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I know what you mean. My favorite bears are the larger ones that I do, which have trapunto paws, open mouths, needle and scissor scuplting, air brushing etc. They are made of the super dense, really expensive mohair. I think these are my "best work". (and I think they are even better when they hold a scuplted accessory!) But I will listing some smaller quicker ones for two reasons. First, sometimes people don't have room in their collections for larger ones, or the larger ones are out of their price range. Second, my time is limited (always, but especially now that I am in school). Not to say that these aren't quality bears, but they are simpler designs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Dilu. And remember you don't have to have 8 ready to list on April 1, you can still be working on them as the months unfold.

sarahjane Brisbane

Dilu I know exactly what you are saying...everytime I get anywhere near the full commitment I talk myself out of one or two........ bear_ermm

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

oh Dilu dear friend - I know too what you mean.
I think that is what makes for a great artist! When one can question ones own work.
So - Miss. Real Artist - welcome to the group.  :clap:  :clap:

WHY do we always think we can do a little tiny bit better with the next kritter and are never satisfied with what we have created

Because dear friend you are - a real artist! "Perfection is the question." My Dad use to say about that.  and he would say it very happily. :)

you know how I feel about your beauitful Gollies.  bear_wub

hugs kassie

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh Dilu how true, it can get abit overwhelming sometimes, so you just have to say to yourself sometimes 'I have done this to the best of my abillity at the time'
Then strive further with the next one.
Thats what I do anyway  bear_original
Another thing is if you put your work away where you can't see it, then go back after a few weeks and look at it with fresh eyes. 
Sometimes we get hung up on trying to get a certain look and overlook what we have achieved.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Dilu
You may not love your creation but someone else might and remember there is a buyer for every bear or golly. Try not to be so critical of yourself. I believe we all have doubts about our work from time to time which is why we constantly strive to do better.
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ditto Dilu, I feel the same.  :doh:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

YEP Dilu!!! the same is happening here as welll. Its got to the stage I dont what I'm going to be selling in May. bear_grin
I am pretty ahead of myself with my sewing this time. Am patting myself on the back because I have enough time to put things right  that I'm not happy with. That eases the stress a little bit.
I have a bear to make for Mum during April her birthday is May 1st. Then I still have the art bear challenge and I have only just started on prelim sketches for that.

Its the PHOTOGRAPHY that has me worried. 8 critters I have to take photos of aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh....................
.................................................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Oh Matilda!  Photography!!!!

Black fabric sucks the light right out of the room...the light tent is really too small for the tall gals....I took 450 pictures the other day

pictures

download

pictures

download

all the livelong darn old day

I really need a new card....this one only holds 12 piccys....how crazy making is that?!

A special lady sent me this; it sounds like it could apply to a lot of us:

She read it in a magazine:  "Cloth Paper Scissors"

"Remind myself to "get out of my own way".  I am often my worst enemy, as I have a tendency to over-think and analyze my work, sometimes to the point of paralysis.   .....issue of trusting that I know enough of the basics to just let go and allow the creative spirit to take hold."

Ok ladies, back to work----and for me taking pictures IS work,

we CAN do this

I think

No, I believe

Ellen;  hoping and praying Mom is doing better?

Kassie-you're a love-thank you

dilu signing off at 4:30 am-no wonder I am tired, sigh...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dilu, hon, we are our own worst critics.  You work is definitly good enough.  Everyone needs to believe in themsleves and try your best.  If you do this then you are being true to yourself.
Have any of yo useen the picture of the cat looking into the mirror and sees the reflection of a lion?  It's one of my favorite images and I even have it framed on my wall.  It's very powerful yet simple.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thanks for the tips Dilu. I am always getting in my own way bear_grin
and my sister said that I have a habit of thinking  great things to their death.  bear_grin
She is correct. :redface: 
I saw the pussy pic in the other post Judi. It is quite a powerful image.
I wonder what the lion sees when he looks in the mirror?
Wendy bear_thumb

My dad always felt like he could do better, but he was able to let go and not obsess on the current work.....and bless his heart he never had any trouble kissing everything goodbye when it sold....

Maybe it was because he had been doing it so long, but by the time I knew him he seemed like the creating was the joy and once completed (to the best of his ability) he had no more thoughts or cares about it.

He did like getting screen credits and

money

for his "work"

i wish he were still here, i would ask him how he feels.

i did ask him if it bothered him to see the paintings go out the door;

"Well Lassie, we can't keep them all now can we?  You seem to like to spend the money they bring in."

Hmmmm

He certainly had a good grasp on that concept!

:crackup:

Board footer