Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I know I know, enough already!

but I'm hoping this is helpful.  I totally forgot when I was yammering on about bloglines that I can show you all what my bloglines feeds look like.

for those of you who didn't read that post - Bloglines is a service that allows you to manage all the blogs, newspapers etc you visit in one place.  So instead of going and visiting 15 blogs and seeing if they've been updated, you can go to your bloglines account and see in one glance, which of those 15 people have written a new blog post today.

I like it because I follow lots of different crafts.  I can easily separate these out into folders and then decide that today I'm just going to read the entries in my recipe blogs, or listen to a radio story or whatever.  It makes keeping up with stuff so much more manageable for me.

You can view my bloglines "blogroll" (geek speak for a list of blogs) at the URL below.  It's not exactly the same view as you get when you subscribe to bloglines - when you subscribe after each blog you see a number in brackets telling you how many new posts there are on that blog since the last visit - so if  there's zero new posts you don't have to bother to open the blog.

http://www.bloglines.com/public/honeythorpe

It's not just blogs that you can add either.  You can subscribe to particular news-stories (eg I have the books pages from the Guardian and the NYT in my account) or tables of contents from magazines like Time.  If you belong to a listserv you can even have that email directed to a bloglines folder rather than your email box.  Some movie theatres have rss feeds of their screening times and oh so much more.  Lots of cities have blogs with their city events listed.  If it has a feed, you can add it

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

What a hoot!  I got the Bloglines Plumber when I clicked on the link.  He said he's doing a little fixing up.  I'll check back in tomorrow and see what Bloglines is all about.  It certainly sounds interesting!  Thank you for the post Melissa.  It's much appreciated!!

Oh, but one question!  Does it bring up the whole blog?....links and all?  That's how I find other interesting tidbits, blogs and websites. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I like the plumber too bear_grin Of course that down time happened right in the middle of my setting up an account for one of our clients.  One minute we're setting up all sorts of feeds then the plumber appears.  I never can figure out the time diff between here and the States

Aleta, no it doesn't bring up the whole blog...but if you want to click out to the blog, you just need to click onto the subject line of that post and it'll open up the blog in a new window for you.

I totally agree - I don't specifically hunt blogs down - I just stumble on them via links in other blogs.  Lots of people embed links right into their posts,  and those will show up in the bloglines posting.  So, if I want a quick catchup, I'll just go and read my blogs on bloglines.  If I have time to play around, I'll click out to a blog and go exploring.  I love the serendipitous nature of blog surfing - I think it appeals to the part of me that likes hunting for treasures in junk stores too.

When you subscribe to a feed you get to see how many other bloglines users subscribe.  I found a craft blog today that had about 890 subscribers - and that's just those people using bloglines.  It doesn't count all the people who subscribe via other feeders or have it stored in their favourites.  Wow - 900 people reading a little old craft blog!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

thanks so much melissa, that is so cool.  cant wait to do my own bear_original

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Yes, thank you, Melissa. I think I understand about feeds better now. Sounds like a really good idea...not sure about blogging for me yet, but I appreciate everyone's opinions, experiences and thoughts on the matter.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Thanks so much for telling us about this Melissa, sounds excellent, easy way of keeping track of blogs you love!:)

Board footer