Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Did you know that the chocolate industry is appealing to the FDA to change the law regarding what can be called chocolate?  Currently to be called chocolate it must contain bot cocoa solids and cocoa butter (a regulation that is pretty much the same in Europe and Australia and New Zealand)

The higher the quantity of cocoa butter the better quality the chocolate and the more expensive it is to make.  However the higher quantity of cocoa butter is also better for you than the vegetable oil compounds used in cheaper quality chocolate and mockolate.

New laws propose that "chocolate" need only contain cocoa solids - so basically any old nasty synthetic chocolate covering can now be called chocolate.  Does it have serious implications?  Well maybe if you love chocolate.  Think about your favourite chocolate coated candy bar...if the manufacturer's can cover it with a significantly cheaper product yet still be allowed to call it chocolate they probably will.  It's also likely to force prices for 'high end' chocolate higher.

Why do I care when I don't live in the US?  Well, I think we have too many synthetic additions into our food as it is and a change to the law in the US is likely eventually to have a trickle downeffect to law in other countries.  And good chocolate is one of life's pleasures and I don't want it to be rendered unaffordable.

You can read a lot more (and better written) here and even find information on writing a submission to the FDA.
http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/ … on_change/

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

LOL - Poor DH, who LOVES his Dk Choc!!

Here's a link from a wool list - it may spell the end to baking-as-we-know-it in the state of Missouri! I debated posting it this AM and decided to after Melissa's.

Missouri Legislative Lunacy  HB 1189 - - - off topic

Posted by: "ridgerunrbunny"

Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:45 am (PST)

Can you believe this? First our animals and livestock, now our baking
soda! Just think about buying your baking soda from behind the
counter and having to give an ID and sign a list to get it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s … enDocument

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellevill … 033175.htm

http://www.belleville.com/mld/bellevill … 033175.htm

Enough is enough.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

What perfect timing!! Dh just brought me the box of Nestle's  Choco Bake® for baking muffins- he inquired about the new line below the brandname - Unsweetened Chocolate Flavor.
The ingredients looked the same as before - but no proportions of cocoa butter & veg solids (Bad Boy, these are Trans fats!!!) gven, just like in the following list in Melissa's post!!!

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has established Standards of Identity for many chocolate and cocoa products. These standards designate the percentage of key ingredients that must be present.

Following are the definitions for some well-known chocolate and cocoa products:

Terms & Definitions:

Milk Chocolate
- A combination of chocolate liquor (not alcohol), cocoa butter, sugar and milk or cream. Milk chocolate must contain at least 10% chocolate liquor and at least 12% total milk ingredients.
Sweet Chocolate
- A combination of chocolate liquor, cocoa butter and sugar, but contains at least 15% chocolate liquor.
Semisweet Or Bittersweet Chocolate
- A combination of chocolate liquor, cocoa butter and sugar, but contains at least 35% chocolate liquor. Sweet chocolate and semisweet chocolate are often called dark chocolate.
Chocolate, Unsweetened Chocolate, Or Baking Chocolate
- Chocolate or chocolate liquor is produced by grinding cocoa beans smooth into a liquid state. This chocolate can be sold as unsweetened chocolate or baking chocolate or used to make other chocolate types such as milk chocolate, sweet chocolate, or semisweet chocolate.

White Chocolate
- Made from the same ingredients as milk chocolate (cocoa butter, milk, sugar) but without the nonfat cocoa solids. In 2002, FDA established a standard of identity for white chocolate. White chocolate must contain at least 20% cocoa butter and 14% total milk ingredients.
Cocoa
- Cocoa is the product made by removing part of the fat (cocoa butter) from the cocoa beans and grinding the remaining material minus the shell.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Very interesting information ladies.....

Thank you both for shairng this info>>>>

hugs
dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

AAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!  I HAVE to have my 70% dark chocolate.  Otherwise, I'll wither away.

puca bears puca bears

Sue Ann.....I recently discovered Lindt's 99% (!!!) dark chocolate...now I'm one of those strange people who has no interest in chocolate, but I could easily get addicted to this stuff - you only need the teensiest bit to lift your spirits! bear_rolleyes
huggies
Maria
p.s. - they also do a sour cherry and chilli, which is rather nice!

beary_clairey Luton

If you get a petition to stop the law being changed - I'll sign it!!

Hugs

Claire

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! We are killing our selves will all this artificial stuff !!!

Katrina's Miniatures Katrina's Miniatures
Website

Wow, interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

If you really care you can submit a comment to the FDA.  There's a tutorial on this page that even has a letter you can cut and paste.  Only US citizens can comment.

http://dontmesswithourchocolate.guittar … tohelp.asp

I so don't understand how they could want to ADD trans and saturated fats to cocolate.  I guess it's all in the name of profit.

teeeej Brisbane

I just hope it doesn't trickle down to Australia, like many other things. Although for the last month or so I have not been able to eat chocolate due to stomach issues, I look forward to when I can. I don't want all that junk in there!

Board footer