Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Do you have a favorite Glue?
Do you like longer or shorter length auctions?
Do you like a certain kind of stuffing?
Do you use a nose templet?
Do you sew by hand or on a machine?
Do you like hand painted highlights, air brushing or markers?

Here is my best tip: I hate when I ram the non sharp end of  a needle into my finger, which I used do a lot, but I have learned that if you put a fabric bandaid on you finger it makes a great thimble type guard.  I buy the generic brand they work just as well, and it really does feel like you have nothing on your finger.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

You're up early, Jodi.   Well . . . I don't use glue, I haven't done an auction yet.   I'll be doing bid4 bears next week. 

I like the firm type from Walmart for the muzzle and the areas around the joints, then I stuff the rest with a softer type stuffing. 

I cut a nose out of black craft felt, pin it on then when I'm ready, I take it off and use it as a model for a needlefelted nose, then sometimes I will embroider over the needlefelted nose (makes a nice puffy nose), sometimes just leave it needlefelted. 

I used to sew all by hand, but I've developed a painful "trigger finger" in my middle finger so I've started sewing all by machine.  The trigger finger isn't getting better so I think I'll need a cortisone shot in it.  Ouch.

I use markers for shading but my mom is giving me an airbrush so I'm excited to start experimenting with that.

I use a bandaid tape on my finger too, but I buy it in a roll and it's kind of sticky so it makes a good needle gripper too.  It's made by 3M.

K Pawz Guest

I love to airbrush details and add hand shading...I like the shorter auctions but they don't give me enough time to have something ready to go right afterwards so stick to 5-7 day ones....I sew by hand for the most part but for some big pieces I use machine!!! I do use a nose template for my embroidered noses, but most of my dogs have either a needlefelted nose or a resin nose.

The best bear making tip I have is the tedious trimming of seams before sewing together, sure it takes a while but the seams go together so nicely without having to fiddle about.

hugs,
Krista

hucklebearypatch Posts: 20
Jodi Moisan wrote:

Here is my best tip: I hate when I ram the non sharp end of  a needle into my finger, which I used do a lot, but I have learned that if you put a fabric bandaid on you finger it makes a great thimble type guard.  I buy the generic brand they work just as well, and it really does feel like you have nothing on your finger.

Great tip Jodi, I use a leather quilting thimble which works awesome...I never thought of a fabric bandaide bear_grin

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

I sew by hand mostly too and always the head gusset, foot and paw pads. i use the machine for the bigger peices. I havnt put my work up for aution as i dont know how it works yet. I use a nose template of leaather glued down first before satin stitching.

mkae sure you pull out the fur betwen the seams with a needle or awl befor e you turn the pieces the right side out. This revents the naster peieces of fir the stick up out of your seams which are always in an obvious spot like the curve of the top ot the foot or down the middle of the bears chest.

annemarie
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.candybears.net

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Great topic, Jodi!!!
favorite glue - Tear Mender by Crafter's Companion  I highly recommend this glue.  It dries fast and clear.  If I get a little seam hole, I use it on the edges.  Also use it for other bear-related things!
favorite stuffing - Firm-Pak from Spare Bear Parts.  Just ordered some more of this stuff.  Packs tight and doesn't feel lumpy..........
I sew almost entirely by machine, don't use a nose template, and use an air-brush for highlights.  A little marker around the nose does wonders for touch-ups.

My best tip - I turn leg pieces sideways so the bottom line is on the bias.  Makes sewing in the pawpads SO much easier!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

This is a great topic. As for bandaids, I always ram the sharp end of the needle into my fingers so I keep a box in my little tool kit. I usually go through 3 or 4 with each bear session.

Thanks, Connie, for the info on glue and stuffing. I've become very disappointed with what I can buy locally. I swear they've changed the content. The last couple of bears just don't feel right; they feel kind of spongy and I just don't like that feel.

I do use a nose template that I make myself out of felt. I would loooove to be able to stitch the nose without a template like Paula and Connie.

I've never used an auction, but I'm wanting to try B4B, but I'm not sure I could figure it out. And I bought an airbrush over a year ago that I've tried to use, but couldn't seem to get the hang of it so I'm anxious to take Judi's next class when that date is set.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Great tip Jodi.... I just kept doing it till I built up caulouses  :crackup:

Ouch Patty!!  I'm so sorry!  Although I don't have trigger finger... I was getting VERY sore hands.... so sore I could barely move them!  Although I love hand sewing... I machine sew most... except tricky areas like the face part of the gusset and parts of the footpads.

As for auctions... I prefer the 3 day auctions because as a bidder I prefer those.... so I use them as a seller too.

Krista I so agree with you about trimming the seams!  I have seen a big difference in my bears since I started doing that several years ago.

My tip is that I like to use waxed eye floss (artificial sinew) to close my heads.  It is SUPER strong and because it is waxed... it stays in place!  As an additional precaution... I also use fray check around the neck joint after I close to really seal it shut!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Fabri-tac (AKA Magna-tac- the Beacon people told me that they changed the name because people were put off by the old name-New name, same old wonderful glue) glue is wonderful and can be diluted with acetone-you can even paint it on with a brush if you dilute enough-perhaps not on fur or mohair, buy who among us doesn't do other things requireing tools and glues?

The best advice? 

Remember to have fun

, and don't be afraid your tools-you use them , don't let them t control of you.....that includes sewing machines.

and always remember:

Fabric can be manipulated much easier than husbands

dilu

sarahjane Brisbane

Make sure you have enough mohair

BEFORE

you trace out your pattern!!!!  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Me too! I always wear a bandade go through about 3 or 4 a bear!
Don't use a template for a nose I always do a needle felt nose and just eye
where I want it that usually works pretty well for me.
All my highlights are handpainted. I machine sew all of my bears.
I always use fray-check on my pattern pieces after I cut them out! I also hand baste the pieces together before going to the machine. Takes alittle time but
well worth it.

Has anyone had a step by step to list on ebay/ bid4bears here? I swear I have wanted to write a book titled : "Are you creative? Here's how to be an Internet Artist"
But to be honest it is so easy I could maybe fill a pamphet. 

Here it is, see what you old time ebayers/bid4bears sellers think?

1. Sign up for ebay/bid4bears find a name the you can live with,( I picked Endorian when I was making lifesize Ewoks and the ewoks live on the moon of Endor and I LOVE ewoks and so I called myself Endorian, but everyone used to go "what the H*** is an Endorian", one guy thought it was a religion :crackup: ) Look at the bears you make or something that means so much to you, that could also maybe be a cool website name.

2. Then spend 3 months studying the area you are going to post in, learn who does what, get to know the other artists work and rack your brain for something original, if you like someones work, email the artists and say "Great job " then do something completely different and fresh. That will set you out from the rest, those artists that make something brand new are usually the ones that are the breakout artists.

3. Buy a nice Digital camera and build yourself a homemade lightbox , mine cost 30 dollars (I can give instructions later if anyone wants) It's not pretty but it works great

4. Learn to work photoshop on your computer , make sure your picture has great lighting and a nice background, I love a basically solid fabric for a backdrop,  I have several pieces that I switch around to see which works best, I find a  baby blue works well or even a light blue grey. Then I take tons of pictures. I then download them and pick out maybe ten that I love and then I crop those so the bear or mouse is the star of the shot. Then you can use a photo service or a private templet service. I use a photo hosting website that I cut and paste the Html and load it in the description. But starting out, ebay/bid4bears has a good photo hosting service.

5. I like 7 day auctions but when I get tired of paying so much in fees I use a ten day auction more bang for the buck, I make sure all my auction will end at the same time and same day so people get in the habit of seeing your work on a certain day.  Some Love the shorter auction and if you don't want to pay the higher priced listing features ,you can list for one day, that way it gets the most exposure for a small listing fee. 

6. Don't get disappointed if you don't make much at first, as long as you are able to cover your costs and you love making bears you are a success. Do not do this to get rich, do it because you love it.

7. If you have a high dollar sale don't get bummed if your sales sometimes go flat, it happens to us all.

8. I don't use reserve auctions I start my auctions out at 1.00 no reserve, if you don't want to take a chance on losing money then start the bid at the lowest amount it took to make it, I look at my lower priced auctions as advertisement.  But some artists use reserves and that is fine too, I just haven't had luck with those type auctions, I think the lower start price auctions with no reserve gets people more involved in wanting it and then the customers determine the price, I have went, "Ouch" before, after an auction, but I have also been really surprised what someone else thinks my work is worth. 

9. I almost always only accept payment thru Paypal, if someone has great feedback and wants to pay by check I will let them, if they send a money order make sure they send it with signature confirmation delivery,   That way there is proof money was sent and received.

10. Offer to sell worldwide, it's a little more of a hassel to ship but worth it in sales.

11. order boxes off of the post office website, they are free also you can get these neat little scales there for free too. www.usps.com

12. I try to put in a little surprise when I send something, sometimes it may just be a Dove chocolate heart wrapped in plastic.

I guess that is my best tips for selling on ebay/bid4bears. Just don't let the money get to you. If you are doing something unique and of solid quality, you will do OK.

Bear Hugs
Jodi

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

When I cut out bear pieces and it is mink or other real fur, I cough, sneeze and itch due to shaking out the pieces.  So my tip is: I cut very carefully each piece (don’t shake them out) I get my hand held vacuum (Dirt Devil) and attach the hose to it. I than, hold each piece of fur very tightly and vacuum each piece. The hose will want to suck the entire piece in so hold on tight. But boy I don't have any trouble with loose fur flying around. But if in the event the vacuum wins out and snatches your beloved fur piece, just dig it out of the bag and vacuum again.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, cortisone shots in fingers is AWFUL! Patty.... do something about that finger before you have to have surgery though. That's even worse! Never mind twice! (Yes, I've finally learned to take better care of my hands.... I think!)

I don't think I'll ever go back to felt templates for noses... I love having a needlefelted base to embroider over! When I came up with that idea I couldn't wait to do more noses! (OK, it may not have been an original idea but I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it.... until I posted about it and realized there were other ingenious people out there too!) bear_grin

I was taught to use upholstery thread to set eyes but just recently (took 7 years!) I tried sinew and WOW! It's so much easier to work with. Thanks to Laura's tip I just tried it on the neck tonight and it worked like a dream.

I can't live without my test eyes. I had one break on me the other day..... got out the E6000 glue and it's as good as new! I think it was Judi who told us about that glue. I love it.... I use it rarely on bears but there are lots of other things permanantly 'stuck together' in my house!

Tips?
-Don't leave pins on the floor for the dog to chew on!
-Less is more... unless it's your mohair stash!
-If you just have to chat on the phone to your friends or your mother try a head set...
       then you can keep working and be so proud of yourself that you are multi-tasking!
-Don't be afraid to experiment..... those creative juices are what nourish the artist within!

Here it is I am completely honest it looks like crap

0box.jpg

Now here is a picture and how it looks

oboxresult.jpg

Hope this helps someone, I spent a ton on a professional light box but it doesn't works as well this nasty looking workhorse, but the best light is outside

. bear_grin
Bear Hugs
Jodi

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Yea!  Thank you so much for posting that Jodi.  I think I could make something like that.

bear_thumb

Densteds Densteds
Website

Thanks Jodi,
your home made light box is just great, I'm gonna give it a try...

Thanks , Isn't it dreadful looking!!!!!!  bear_ermm But boy it really works well. bear_thumb

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

That rocks! Thank you for sharing! I had to get Honeypaws on B4B Wednesday because I made the "one bear every 7-10 days" commitment, but it was raining off and on all day. I kept running out when there was a pause in the rain and having my kids hold all my stuff while I set up the shots because the ground was wet so I couldn't set anything down! I love to take my pictures out doors, but it would be great to have another option when weather prohibits it.  What type of lights did you use?

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

This is a great topic. Thanks, Jodi, for your "creative pamphlet." Lots of good information. And the light box you have is a great idea. Your picture turned out beautifully so who cares what your light box looks like. I use one of those tri-fold boards like kids use with their science projects and try to use light through the window...that doesn't always work, though.

Daphne: Could you explain how you do the needle felted nose base...do you needle felt right into the bear's nose or do you created it on one of those thingies for needle felting and then put it onto the nose? Actually, I would love to get away from having to make a felt template because no matter how hard I work at it, it's a little different on each side and I have to make adjustments to my nose while stitching. So the idea of a needle felted nose to start with sounds great.

Michelle: You know you can get those face covers like painters were at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. They do help.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Hummm teddy tips....

Well I use the sinew around my neck too. I also use it to attach my eyes.

I dont use a template for noses, but I couldn't live without my water soluable pen!
With my traditional bears, I use my pen to draw the top of the nose and the bottom of the nose. I use those marks as a guide so my nose goes on straight. Then a dab a bit of water on it when I am done  *poof* pen marks gone!

I fray check my seams AFTER I sew them. By doing this, it gives me the opportunity to inspect every seam as I am applying the fray check and making sure everything is secure and properly sewn.

I hope someone finds this info helpful...

Bear Hugs,

Kim

K Pawz Guest

Awesome tips everyone!! I have to try that artificial sinew, what is it called exactly (brand name) and where can I get it....I am having a really hard time with my eyes lately staying secure after inserting them into sculpted sockets and a firmly stuffed head, I am currently using upholstery thread from coats and clarke.

hugs,
Krista

The lights I used were bought at Walmart (but I am avoiding walmart because they got rid of their fabric department ARGH!!!!!!) I would imagine Lowes or Home Depot would have them, they are in the ligthing section, they are for under cabinet light or can be placed in a bookcase, here is a shot of just the light, I paid around 9 dollars for it.
DSCN4405.JPG

the picture above is the light on the top of the box

DSCN4406.JPG

I also used to take all my pictures outside but in Indiana it is very hard to do, 6 months of the year it is a horrid shade of gray. I swear after winter and we get our first sunny day people look like mole people, they are all squiting (sp?) their eyes.  bear_laugh

Bear Hugs
Jodi

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Daphne so glad the artificial sinew worked for you!

Krista... you can get it at some bear supply places... they call it waxed eye floss.  You can sometimes find it at hobby shops if they carry leather making supplies.  I know the Hobby Lobby by me has it...

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Awesome tips everyone!! I have to try that artificial sinew, what is it called exactly (brand name) and where can I get it....I am having a really hard time with my eyes lately staying secure after inserting them into sculpted sockets and a firmly stuffed head, I am currently using upholstery thread from coats and clarke.

I coul not live withut my artificail sinew. It is also great for pulling those seams in tight. I just love the feel of it pulling tight and it very rarely breaks so I can get them nice and tight. I use the inew for my eyes ect as well. Great stuff!! bear_grin

Board footer