Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pages:
All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Pickwick.jpgPickwickheadcircular.jpgRochester is famous for its Charles Dickens connection and as I am exhibiting at the Rochester Bear Fair on October 9th, I have Dickens in mind for my show bears!  The first bear, a 22" big guy 'PICKWICK', is now complete and so I thought I'd share him with you.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This bear is absolutely divine!  But, like most bearmakers,  I know the cost of mohair, and I have to wonder how on earth you can possibly afford to make these giants with such glorious, lush, dense mohair, Miss Paula.  I feel for your pocketbook, dear.

But not for your collectors, who really get something grand in this one.  Hope he does well for you.

PS  I love your outdoor shots.  I think they are as much a part of the ALL BEAR image and branding as your bears themselves.  Very pretty!

ellen ontario, canada

WOWW! WOWW! WOOOWW!
another big gorgeous guy!  thanx for sharing Paula.
bear_original

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Wow Paula - he is just GRAND!!!  I do have to agree with Shelli about the cost factor though.  That mohair is beautiful.

Jill

Deb Upstate New York

GORGEOUS!  Why don't you write an SOP here Ms. D'Paula on muzzle trimming!

Kent
Website

Glad you like him!

You guys don't miss anything do you?  That mohair certainly is not at the lower end of the cost range, but you know how it is, sometimes you just gotta run with what you want to do, rather than what you should do!  Fortunately, in this case I was able to purchase this piece from the UK. :rolleyes:

As for the muzzle trimming, it's all just done by hand with a pair of good quality embroidery scissors.  I don't have any secret methods, it's just done by eye and with patience.  It's my favourite job to do I think.  bear_original

Shelli, by the way, I'm so pleased you like the outdoor shots!  I don't get such good results inside with lighting etc (I'm definitely a 'point and shoot' gal!) and although I know mags like TB&Friends prefer plain backgrounds, I still prefer to do my own thing! bear_happy  The pics get featured regularly in UK mags, so I guess they work for me! bear_original  (Actually, thanks also to TB&F for putting two of my bears in the last issue! That was a thrill!)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just ultimately gorgeous, Paula!  Beautiful fur!

Deb Upstate New York

Hmm ... I have embroidery scissors.  Where can I get one of those eyes? bear_laugh

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

So gorgeous!  I love him and he looks like he can give a really decent hug!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Trés Joli Paula bear_original Where do you by your mohair?

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Beautiful bear!  He is definitely a hugger.

Kent
Website

Thanks for popping in everyone!   I'm so glad you like him.  :D:cool::)

This particular mohair is German Schulte (which means tres expensive!) and I purchased it from a UK supplier.  It has a wonderful silky sheen.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

My what a big boy is our Pickwick. Just Gorgeous Paula!!!:)

My goodness DEB you crack me up. :lol:Leave it to you to make me laugh:lol::lol:
Has anyone a spare eye they can lend to Deb???:lol:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Paula I love Mr. Pickwick! The wavy curls are perfect!

Pickwick Papers is one of my favorite Dickens novels, too. I earned my graduate fellowship helping edit the Penguin Edition, and got into trouble because I couldn't stop laughing!

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Paula!! He is beautiful!!! Gosh he is wonderful!

Many Hugs Louise

Kent
Website

Thank you Eileen and Louise!  It's great to get your feedback.

Eileen what a great job that must have been!  I'm in awe!

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

I love everything about this big handsome guy- I wish I had the room for him in my house. He would be great company while I'm making my bears.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Gorgeous, gorgeous Paula!  Love him...looks like hes ready for a big squeeze :P
hugs sarah

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Don't be in awe, Paula!

The job involved sitting in a small library carrell, shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee with a sweet but rather geeky prof, and reading "The Pickwick Papers" manuscript back and forth to one another to make sure there were no mistakes in the Penguin version he was editing.

Sample: Paragraph quotes caps Mr period space caps Pickwick comma space caps Sir comma end quotes space said space caps Sam . . .

If the novel hadn't been so funny, I never would have survived it!

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Scrumptous Paula!  What hunk!  I hope he finds a well deserving home.:)

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi Paula,
he's lovely. Those wonderful eyes.

Kent
Website
Eileen wrote:

bear_laugh Don't be in awe, Paula!

The job involved sitting in a small library carrell, shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee with a sweet but rather geeky prof, and reading "The Pickwick Papers" manuscript back and forth to one another to make sure there were no mistakes in the Penguin version he was editing.

Sample: Paragraph quotes caps Mr period space caps Pickwick comma space caps Sir comma end quotes space said space caps Sam . . .

If the novel hadn't been so funny, I never would have survived it!

Eileen

Guess it kinda takes the heart out of the story Eileen eh?!! bear_grin

Kent
Website

It's so lovely to hear that you've all enjoyed your viewing of 'Pickwick'.  I hope you'll be pleased to hear that he has been promised a super new home, however the show goes!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin It sure does!

Grrreat news about Pickwick! Lucky new owner . . .

Eileen

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

paula were did you get that beautiful mohair .and what a great bear i bet you never part with him.fran

Pages:

Board footer