Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Hi all, I am going to organize a charity fundraiser to support breast cancer awareness, or support those organizations that are trying to find the cure. I would be willing  to make a bear , auction it and donate all money to a breast cancer charity, if you would be interested in doing the same. please respond to this thread, If you are willing to help organize it with me or have suggestions on what charities are good ones, please post that too.  Or if any of you have a better name to call this campaign I welcome it. I just feel this dreadful disease has touched so many wonderful people, I can no longer  sit by and do nothing. 

Bear Hugs
Jodi

Few name ideas:
"Bear Hugs for a Cure"
"Bear Artists Against Breast Cancer"

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very generous gesture, Jodi!  My sister was diagnosed in 2000 with breast cancer and my feeling of helplessness was overwhelming.  What I decided to do was make a limited edition bear (25) in her honor and sell the bears at shows, over my website, word of mouth, etc. and give the proceeds to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.  Didn't quite sell out the whole edition, but I was able to give a fairly hefty amount to the Foundation.  Sandra (my sis) is doing well at the moment, but I do worry since she had a huge number of lymph nodes that were positive.  I salute what you are doing, Jodi!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

This is SandiBear and I can make another one for your auction if you like her.  She's 12".

SandiBear.jpg

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Jodi!

I posted to the other thread too.  Susan G Komen Foundation (for the cure) is a really reputable organization.  At my last office I use to coordinate Lee National Denim day via their organization.  I just designed a pink panda (little out of my norm) and he'd be happy to fight for a cure  bear_smile   

:hug:
~Chrissi

Susan G Komen site:  http://ww5.komen.org

Link to mother's day card via site, with small donation:  http://ww2.komen.org/mothersday/

You guys are the BEST!!!!!!!!!
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Jodi:

How are you planning on running the auction? Will you be planning an event in your local area and everyone will send their bears to you? Or do you intend everyone to sell/auction their own bear and send you the proceeds? I think it's a wonderful idea but can you tell me a little more about what you envision?

Stellajella Wien

Jodi, what a smashing idea!
And "Bear Hugs for a Cure" or "Bear Artists Against Breast Cancer" sound great! How about a mix from both: "Bear Hugs Against Breast Cancer" ?
I donĀ“t know, what I could do from my part of the world, but if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Gaby bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Jodi this is a wonderful idea and I would be pleased to donate a bear. I also love Sue Ann's idea of doing a limited edition bear to take to shows and I may adopt that idea myself as a way to continue the giving. Perhaps we could work it similarly to the Alex's Lemonaide Stand auction on bid for bears...

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Jodi

This sounds like a fab idea.  I would love to donate a bear.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sure Jodi count me in !!!

You guys are so great, I love the name "Bear Hugs Against Breast Cancer" , I was thinking that what we could do is pick a week to have it,  and then everyone lists a bear and sells it using their own account,  (if someone wants to do it, but isn't on ebay I would be glad to list for you or even help you get set on ebay)  then donate all proceeds from those auctions to the breast cancer awareness charity we decide to support, I only know about ebay, they do have a special feature that makes it so you can sell something for a charity, I am sure bid4 bears has the same thing. We could make it so the theme is the pink ribbon or something in it has to have pink.  And I know I am going to name my bear after my friend who passed away, her name was Jill and I never heard her say an unkind word to anyone, I miss her. 

Sue Ann what a wonderful idea, I would love to have a SandiBear in the auction, I am so glad to hear your sister is doing well, I will keep positive thoughts coming her way.

I am really excited about this!!!!!

Hugs
Jodi

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

sure count me in too jodi not that my bears are worth much  bear_tongue  ill just have to get lots of practice in in the meantime. bear_thumb
let me know when you have ideas on where and when....and if theres anything else you need a hand with bear_thumb
Natasha

chris009av Real Deal Bears

What a fantastic idea!!!!!
I would like to contribute as well Jodi, but I hope it's not for a couple of weeks, as I am snowed under.
I love the idea of a pink ribbon adorned on all the bears  bear_original

I will look on the calendar for a good week to do this, I wish mothers day wasn't so close, it's may 13th, I'll make sure to give everyone enough time so they won't feel rushed.  I also don't want to take attention away from Lemonaide bears, which is such a worthy cause, anyone wanting to help brainstorm I would love it. Just PM me and let me know that you do.

Natasha your bears are adorable, I just went to your website, I am honored you want to help.

Does anyone know when lemonaide bears takes place?

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

the only info i could dig up was on the alex's lemonade stand web site that lemonade days are ......Lemonade Days 2007
June 8th, 9th, and 10th so im thinking that lemonaide bears may coincide with these dates?????...not sure tho

found this info too....

The next benefit schedule for September 2007, will once again take place at the on-line teddy bear auction web site~ Bid 4 Bears. If you love Teddy Bears be sure to visit the site! There you will always find lots of adorable bears available for adoption.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

There is an online teddy bear show on www.Bear-Artists-Online.com on June 30th which at this point nearly 40 of us have committed to (the majority are TTers) so you'll want to avoid that weekend.

Just trying to help you narrow down a date!  bear_original

Do you think the end of May would be too soon or be too close to the other auctions or the end of the first week in June?
Maybe if this could become an annual thing we can have it next year go along with mothers day.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Hi Jodi
Wonderful Idea!!!
A suggestion the more time you can give to promote any event the better.  Why not think about later in the year like - August September and then say on the 6 monthly basis-
Something continuous would be great - and limiting to 10 bears so not to saturate the market and maximise the donation.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I definitely think later in the year would be better.  To raise good prices awareness of the event needs to be built (I'm thinking there was a fairly long lead in to the lemondae bears last year?)

The next couple of months are show season for me - I would want to make a special piece for this event and I definitely couldn't do it justice until after then.

Lisa great tip, I think you are right about doing it, like over a month instead of a week thing, so not to have too many trying for the same dollar, 

Maybe October?????? play on the "treat yourself " angle,

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

It'd be more then happy to join! My bears probably arn't worth much as I've never sold any, but Whatever it makes, I guess it's a little money they could use.  bear_flower

Richy~

Oh My Gosh I just googled to see if there was a breast cancer awarenesss month or week and there is and guess when it is ,
Yep October!!!!!!!!   I think that is going to be the month and hold the auction during that whole month.

Richy you must have been typing the same time I was, I would be thrilled if you made a bear.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Jodi ... got good news !!! Teddy Bear Times is interested in putting a blurb in there magazine for this event , I will e mail you with Kirstie's information. Ya hoo !!! She wants to help promote this so more money can be raised !!!

Jodi Falk

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I'd love to join this bear_original My bears may not be the best yet, but I'd love to donate a bear to help fighting Breast Cancer, even if it only makes a little! Hopefully by October I'll be good enough for the bear to be worth something XD please let me know any more news!

puca bears puca bears

Hi Jodi
count me in too - I'd be happy to donate a bear, especially as it won't be for a little while yet - BUSY here! By one of those strange quirks of fate, I heard from a friend today - her sister has been diagnosed with it - horrible!
huggies
Maria bear_flower

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Jodi,

This is a wonderful idea. Count me in as well. I have a Breast Cancer survivor in my family and I am always looking for an outlet to donate.

Hugs,

Board footer