Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Chloe: That is wonderful fabric....Oh, I think it will make a delicious bear!!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

bear_laugh I'm glad you all like the fabric: I was really surprised when I found it! Hopefully it'll still be listed after my exams... XD

There was a dark pink backed variety too bear_original

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

That fabric is so cute, I am still waiting to hear from the Susan G. Komen people, once that gets approved I am going to get everything set.  They said it would take 30 days, I hope I hear from them a little sooner.

I just wanted to give everyone an update:
I have changed the Blog telling about this campaign, the old one was named something a little too long, here is the new one : http://bearhugsforhope.blogspot.com/
I am still waiting to hear from the Susan G. Komen people, so I am ready to go, but can't until we get that OK ed.
When the time comes when we do this and it  gets closer, I am going to put together a press release kit for everyone to use to contact their hometown paper to promote this event, if you would like. I think it would be a wonderful way to get the info out.  I am hoping that each paper will feature the artist that lives in the area, to get hometown interest generated for this important event

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

hopebrenda1.jpgHopeBanner1.jpghope1.jpgmy bear Hope

Hi Jodi,
I would love to take part, October will work for me too so please count me in.  bear_flower
I added some information below that you might like to consider for your charity.

Last year I made a bear for Breast Cancer Awareness, her name was  Hope.
Hope was designed by Brenda Hallaway. Brenda passed away from complications from breast cancer at the age of 41. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer in June of 1995 and had a recurrence in June of 1997. Brenda died peacefully in her home surrounded by her family, friends and teddy bears. Her funeral was a celebration of life. Those who attended carried teddy bears and one of her favorite songs, Return to Pooh Corner, was sung at the service. Brenda's trade name was BJ Huggables. She was featured in the "Cutting Edge" of Teddy Bear Review in the September/October 1998 issue. The article was about her bear, Hope, which she made to raise awareness of breast cancer. She donated proceeds from the sale of each bear to the American Cancer Society. A few days before her death, several of Brenda's artist friends approached her about "Keeping Hope Alive" and she agreed to release her pattern so that others may use it. As a result, the pattern for Brenda's Hope, along with kits, is available through Edinburgh Inc. in both the original size of 13" and translated patterns for a 7" bear and a 2 ¼" bear. Donations from the sale of the patterns and kits will be made to the American Cancer Society for Breast Cancer Research. Authorization is given with a full heart to anyone making the pattern and selling the finished bear to raise funds for the cancer organization of their choice.

Links below to Brenda's & Hope's page.
Best of luck with your charity, Sandy

http://www.edinburghimports.com/keephopealive/hope.html

http://www.edinburghimports.com/keephop … rance.html

Just to clear things up, this year the Lemonade Bears Benefit will be held Sept. 21st to 23rd. All proceeds benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand for Childhood Cancer Research.  This is our second year and I hope to make it an annual event.

Hello all, I wanted to give you an update on this campaign, I am getting frustrated, I have not gotten a yes or no from the Susan G Komen people.  Does anyone have a breast cancer charity that would be a good one to donate to? I never thought wanting to give someone money would be this hard.

I have been working on a press packet to give to everyone envolved so you could promote this in your area.

I have talked to a couple magazines willing to promote our efforts.

I will hopefully hear something in the next day or two.

Thanks again everyone for agreeing to help and keep your fingers crossed I will get the green light soon.

Hugs
Jodi

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

We have:

http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/

And

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/

Oh, and a more practical one:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/

But I imagine you'll be wanting a more general group?  Google has a few...

sarahjane Brisbane

I just wanted to jump in here and say that one of my wonderful collectors has purchased one of my bears and then asked me to donate her to this campaign in honor of all the people in her family that she has lost to this insidious disease!!!

There are some really lovely, kind, generous people in this world!!  bear_original

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I know its hard to believe, but some of these organizations just can't be bothered with a donation under a certain amount. The first year of "BearFair" here in Canada, we wanted to have an auction and donate the proceeds to (I believe it was) the local children's hospital. The organizer was told that they weren't really interested in any donations under $10,000 and certainly didn't want us advertising them as the recipient of our efforts unless we could guarantee that amount bear_shocked . They also wouldn't have anyone come out to speak about the hospital without that guarantee. I'm sure it becomes administratively difficult, but it surprised me that all money wasn't "good money".

What if instead of a "research" organization, you focused on a "hospice" organization? I think they don't always get the money that they need and they might be more open to our efforts.

Bless you Jodi, for your generous spirit :hug:

Cheryl bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jodi, when I did my limited edition bear in honor of my sister, I never contacted the Susan G. Komen people.  I did print up a flyer that explained why I made the bears and that the proceeds from sales would go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.  Then I kept my records straight of how many bears were sold and at the end of the edition, just made out a check to the Foundation.  They didn't turn down my contribution.  It will be much more complicated with a full-scale auction, but surely they wouldn't turn down the money that was collected.

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

Count me in Jodi - I can supply boxes of teddy bear greeting cards.

Hugs,

Julie

Cheryl, I am having the experience that you went thru, they want me to pin down an amount, which I cannot do.  I have had the worst time trying to get them to answer my phone calls, I had one lady that never returned my calls, so I called their corp. offices and got another lady and I explained what I was doing and planning , I explained how expensive these bears go for and she got all excited and said she would talk to me on tuesday, but she didn't see this as a problem getting approval. She asked for me to give a ball park figure on what I could promise in donation, which I told her I couldn't do, well that's the last I heard from her.

The sad thing is how many people get so frustrated with this process and give up.  But I refuse to give up,  too many wonderful women and their families are having their lives torn apart by this disease. So,  I love the hospice idea, I will check ebay to see if there is another organization that would be interested in this.

Sarahjane what a truely wonderful collector you have, please let her know that it is her and all of those willing to be involved in this, are the ones that make me so proud to be part of the teddy bear community.  Women like that make the world a better place.
Hugs
Jodi

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hello,

Jodi, If I may suggest something. Instead of making this a whole thing about woman with breast cancer could you not make it into something of awareness of woman and men who suffer for breast cancer?

My partners uncle had breast cancer not too long ago. When he told people he had breast cancer they laughed at him and said it's not possible for men to have breast cancer.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to also put across awareness for men with breast cancer also, as not many people have heard about it?

Just adding some ideas,

Richy~

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I agree completely with Richy: people don't believe men can get it but in reality it can often be worse: men don't check there as often, and because there's less to remove it can be difficult to cure.

My bear will almost certainly be a more manly one: after all this should raise awareness for everyone :)

I think it's ridiculous about the minimum donation thing: how stupid can people be? Pwennies make pounds, and $10,000 is a lot of money to expect from one cause!

A hospice would be nice: my local hospice is wonderful: they took great care of my friends dad in his last months, and he had a brain tumour so he wasn't the easiest person to care for... maybe part could go to a well known organisation, and part to a hospice?

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Jodi , I think the news station needs to hear about the trouble we are having wanting to give money to the cancer cure !! Then some one will come to us !!!! We should not have to know the amount before we give !! Not all the bears will sell innless we start them a $10.00 !!! And that is a insult to the art. And even if we started at 30 or 50 we still could not guarantee the bear being sold. You know how sales go. A chosen few sell every one on the first try.... some of the other of us may have to try for 6 months on and off to sell an item. Just like yesterday , I sold one but the other that was on for the second time did not .... same starting price. Just never know. And he will sell eventually or maybe traded but they do all find homes , some just take longer before they spark a sale with some one who has the money to spare.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Jodi wrote: Jodi , I think the news station needs to hear about the trouble we are having wanting to give money to the cancer cure !!

I think Jodi has a point. Contact a local news station about the Teddy Bear Artist trying to do something nice for breast cancer but can't get the backing of Susan G Komen foundation. Many local stations have a community piece they run in fighting for the little guy. Though this is not a troubled situation, they may take up our cause and contact Susan G Komen’s office. This will get their attention and perhaps work with us...

Or another idea is contact a newspaper and see if a local reporter wants to help....still this foundation is reputable.

On a side note, if I saw any of my employees treating callers like you Jodi, I would not be happy and major coaching would be taking place. No caller should be made to feel insignificant. EVER... So Jodi, the next time you call Susan G Komen office, ask for a manager and explain what has been happening. I bet the managers would be shocked at how you are being treated. Hopefully this will move the backing of our auction.

YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got off the phone with the Susan G. Komen people and they said YES!!!! they would love to partner with us
I am a firm believer in the squeeky wheel getting the grease, after my last post and reading what you all wrote I called and talked to the director of communications and she promised I would hear from them today, which I did, I just got off the phone, I am sooooooo happy I am about ready to bust!!!!!!!!
Monday I will have a press packet put together for everyone wanting to be involved, so you can promote this event in your area.
Thank you all for you support and encouragement, you guys are the best!!!!!

Richey, I agree completely we need to promote this for men as well.

So mark your calendar, "Bear Hugs for Hope"  is going to happen. :dance:

sarahjane Brisbane

Jodi has there been any thought as to how us internationsal artists are able to be involved.....Do we have to have our auctions listed by someone else???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

BIG CONGRATULATIONS, JODI!!!  You persisted and it paid off . . . GOOD for you!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Jodi I would love to donate one of my bears too. E-mail me when you are ready Ok. Mary bear_original

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

When are we doing this ? I am interested but not sure , my creativity is a little low right now , going through some crazy times, not good !! So don't know about the future. Well... hubby and I are splitting up , and trying to do it the fairest way we can .Just hope it doesn't get ugly !! It will just take time.I am just so drained ... but I really do want to do a bear...  but if I can't I hope you all understand. Sad and unsure times just drain me and it is hard to make happy bears.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

2 things...
1) Jodi F...I'm so sorry to hear that you and your hubby are going your separate ways...even when it is the right thing, its never the easy thing. Hang in there :hug:  :hug:

2) I think that the reason that many of these organizations are difficult to do this kind of thing for is simply that they must be careful who their name is associated with. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there that would be happy to use a 'big name' to get the money and then the organization never sees the cash. I think in the fundraising business, your reputation is everything. I didn't intend my comments to criticize SGK foundation as I know they have an excellent reputation and I'm glad everything worked out.
:clap: CONGRATULATIONS JODI M. ON YOUR FOCUS AND VISION! :clap:

Cheryl

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jodi (Falk), I am so sorry to  hear that you are going through a difficult time and splitting up with your husband. Of course you will be feeling drained and need extra time for yourself. Just take it one day at a time and do what you can. If you aren't able to make a bear for Bear Hugs for Hope of course everyone will understand and there are certainly enough of us to carry out this effort. Sending you a big hug and hoping life gets a lot easier for you very soon!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

please... count me in too!  bear_wub

Kimberly W.

P.S. Will there be a separate post here when the dates, etc. are set in stone? I don't have much time to come browse through the posts, so if the set dates and details could be posted in another post, that'd be nice!  bear_flower

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Ahhhhh!

*mad dance*

Well done you, O Wheel of Squeakyness!

I'm interested in the international bit too, but it's not hugely urgent yet, is it?

Jodi, I'm sorry to hear about your split, but you've obviously made the right decision if it's still calm at this stage and you haven't eaten each other yet! Hang in there, good luck sorting it out, you'll be fine.  :hug:

Board footer