Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Serenity-cropped-.jpgI am having a really dense time or something... I can't seem to make her picture smaller..... maybe tomorrow I can try again...sorry..

Anyway...here is Serenity and her companion Sam.... for a challenge at Joggles.com

dogdayafternoon South

I got the newsletter  from Barbara at Joggles today and I must say your work is just Amazing!!!  I love Serenity and her lovely friend.  They are Fantastic together!  Debbie

K Pawz Guest

OMG Veronica What an absolutely stunning pair!!!! Awesome!!!

hugs,
Krista

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Told you, You'd win. Well I bet you had no doubt either!

As I've said a hundred times, Stunning and absolutely beautiful! Some real talent there!

Big hugs,

Richy~

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Another fantastic lovely one, Veronica.  You've got amazing talent.  Thanks so much for sharing this magical duo!

Calgary, Alberta
Website

good morning....thanks everybody for looking and for your wonderful comments....

Still was trying to get her smaller and now have totally gibbled my Photoshop page... can't even see the little boxes that show me how to make the size change..must be buried somewhere... sigh....... oh, well, I will try to get some help later ...... must work on some little pin dolls today.

tx again...

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Veronica,

She is beautiful and fantastic.  I love the colors that you have chosen.  And her eyes are beautiful.  I would love to see a full photo of her.  Is she cloth? 

Are you a member of dollstreet dreamers?  Or stargazetomes with Patti Medaris Culea?  I haven't made a doll for a few years now.  It makes me want to make one.

hugs,
Sheila

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Thanks Sheila
.....glad you enjoyed seeing her. 

Yes, she is all cloth with the exception of her little shoes which are Apoxie Sculpt.  It is modeled directly onto her feet....it is great stuff...will never come off!!   

I am a member of Doll Street Dreamers...but will check out Patti's group now that you mention it...

hope I can see some of your dolls some day.....I am the other way.  Snce I began dolls I have hardly made any bears...need to get busy with one now though for a swap!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wow, she is amazing! You are really talented

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Hey Heather..

tx for having a look.... glad you like her. 

Are you going to the Doll Show on Sunday?  Our doll club will be there....I was wondering if there will be any bear people there?  At the Red and White Club....

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

Veronica - she's stunning!!!

I have a question for all you ladies who make dolls as well as bears - is it my imagination, or is there a HUGE difference in the retail price of dolls and bears??  When I was at Schaumburg last month I was next to a lady who was selling the sweetest little felt dolls, which were quite detailed and must have taken her several hours to make each one - and they were priced at $25 each!

Having made dolls (on and off) for years, I know that they tend to take rather more time to make than a bear - and it's jolly difficult to make a good-looking doll - so why do I see them being sold so cheaply?  I wouldn't dream of selling a bear that took me three days to make for $125, but that's the sort of price I see commonly attached to the most beautiful and imaginative dolls.  It makes me want to weep for the artist!!  Is it just that the general public have not been 'educated' into accepting cloth dolls as works of art, in the way that they have come to understand about artist bears?  Those of you who are able to sell your dolls for a price that recognises your amazing talents - how do you do it?  It is a question of getting recognised, winning a few competitions, getting your work in magazines and galleries, etc??

Hugs to all you talented doll/bear/soft sculpture artists out there bear_original
Christine

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Veronica she is beautiful I have just decided to make a doll but I just know it won't be anything like your amazing work of art.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb

Calgary, Alberta
Website

Hi Christine

I have only sold some smaller and much less detailed dolls.  It seems to be the case with doll and bear fairs sometimes... everybody wants something...they just want it for a bargain price.   We hear the usual comments ..same as bear makers hear.... "oh, well I can make that myself."     Plus...I personally think it has to do with the "cute" factor of the bears and dogs.... everybody love that, everybody wants one at some point in their lives.       With  dolls...it is a different mentality for the collectors.   Also... storing and displaying them is even more of a nuisance than it is with bears.  You can't just leave them exposed... too many tiny nooks and crannies...and you can't just vacuum them!  lol

If I were to sell the more detailed and time consuming dolls...they would be in the many hundreds and of course...nobody except collectors who do understand the time, effort and almost agony that goes into producing something beautiful and intricate, would be giving any thought to a purchase.   So far I am not that prolific anyway.. ....... ...have not felt like parting with much of my stuff and still have room for them, so most of my detailed dolls still live at home.   I have made a few for gifts for my sister and they are at her house so I can still see them when I visit.

I do think some collectors get it into their heads that a well known or popular doll maker (almost same for bear makers)   is the only one to buy or collect from. 
You are probably right...initially you have to get your name out there... produce some great works...sell a few, and then... you would likely be on your way. 

It wouldn't hurt to have a spread in a nice magazine either...     but.... then....for some of them you have to send the actual doll....hmmmmm.....still leery of trying that too.  Especially after hearing one Aussie lady's story... her doll was returned to her in pieces ..wth huge holes drilled into the doll's detached head.   Not even the back of the head...but, straight into the face!!...   all because it had tin foil for the base of the sculpted head and they wanted to check if there was something besides just tinfoil in there.   The customs and other border people are getting more weird by the moment with paranoia about terrorist activity and drug smuggling it seems.  So..if anybody makes dolls..... make sure you list tin foil on your materials if you use it under clay .... 

Jane..... make sure you tell me when you get finished with your doll... I want to see.  I bet she will be beautiful....we must always be our own scariest critic it seems.  I see faults and things I could have done differently or better or whatever...and am ... uh, ... almost hesitant each time I do show each doll for the first time.   Our local doll club is the same..   when we have show and tell.. we each seem to be stuck on what we could have done better or what is the dolls problem area..but others see just the finished great product.. and depending on the doll, like it ..or don't.   Now that I know how much actual work goes into a doll..and you can tell by examining the finished product... I can appreciate so many more of them.  Everybody should make at least one just once don't you think?

sorry....got caught up there and became my usual "windbag" self in type.... honestly, I'm not like that in person.....mmmmmmppffffffff.........lmao  oh, yeh..... .

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Veronica,
I'm soo going to be that show this Sunday. You will be there? I will look for you. I'm just going as a viewer to see what's up.
I can't wait to see your dolls in person!

Calgary, Alberta
Website

I will be there........Maggi and I will be hosting the table for our local group ..the Clothbroads...you will see our banner hanging on the front of our table....
Several of the other members will have tables of their own near us.

I will introduce you to the dolls.   I am hoping for a few bear makers to show up so I can see what they have.

Board footer