Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

K Pawz Guest

Hi everyone, just wondering if there has been any changes to import customs regulations from the US to Canada? I recieved an artist bear in the mail today and had to pay customs on it....even though the value was less than $100.00 and it was marked as a teddy bear? Could it be because the sender had abusiness name and labels on the package? I have never run across this before at all and found it very strange all of a sudden.

Hugs,
Krista

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I don't know........all I know is it's such a pain! I just can't figure out what they do with all this money they collect from us. Grrrrrrrrrrr Makes me so mad.

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

Hey Krista,

I actually called them and they said that customs applies to the amount that they put the item at - not what they insured it for.  If an item is under the $20 value there is no customs, but if it is over they do their calculations from there on.  If the package was marked as a gift though - there should have been no customs to pay!  They just make life difficult!!!

Hugs,

Julie

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
If the package is addressed to a business, Rev Canada attaches a $5.00 Commercial user fee through customs.  Sometimes they do this regardless of whether it is a gift or not. They're rather inconsistent that way.  But if it's not marked gift, and addressed to the business, expect to pay the $5.00 bucks.

On top of that, you'll pay PST and GST on the full, converted dollar amount.

Anything over $60.00 on a gift gets a duty charge, if duty is applicable. Generally, toys are not on the list for duty, so double check ot see if your receipt is really 'duty' or if it's a user fee plus taxes.

Hope this helps you out.
hugs,
nt

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have to second what Nancy posted,  there is no duty on Toys  and artist bears or Teddy Bears fall into that category.  But you will pay GST and PST on the value of the bear plus the 5.00 processing fee.  It's a nice kick in the pants if you ask me, just another way for them to get more money out of us.

Big Hugs

Shane

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

question if anyone catches it here.......

is it just us Canadians that pay all these fees just to get packages sent??

K Pawz Guest

That is the wierd thing, it was addressed to me personally, but I don't know if it was marked gift or not because they stuck the collect customs label right over the green tag...it was labelled as a stuffed toy, and was valued at $66.40 CAD, what I paid was GST PST and the handling fee...so I am confused...I guess the only thing that makes sense is that it wasn't marked gift (which it wasn't (a gift)so I can't expect someone to put that on there). OH Well, but if this is a crack down of any type I will have to stop purchasing from US or add the fees into my purchase price, which will make it a lower bid, or order. What strikes me as odd is never once have I had to pay anything at the door when ordering from Intercal, how is that possible???....I just hate the post man coming to the door and having to wip out the VISA each time as that is going to add up....will wait and see what happens with the next one. Thanks for all of your responses.

Hugs,
Krista

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

psichick78 wrote:

question if anyone catches it here.......

is it just us Canadians that pay all these fees just to get packages sent??

Ummm... yep... at least here in the States we don't have to pay anything when we receive packages from out of the US. 

Geeze... and I thought WE got taxed left and right  :doh:

ellen ontario, canada

buy domestically.... that's the whole idea.  if we didn't put up trade barriers (duties and taxes etc.)  we'd be lost.  not that i like paying taxes anymore than anybody else but... there is a method to their madness.
bear_flower

K Pawz Guest

Great thought Ellen, and I try to buy locally for things that I can get locally, but when you are talking artist creations it is kind of silly.... Not to mention for stuff like mohair I can get i cheaper by going to the original distributer as opposed to paying higher prices when I buy from Canadian outlets who sell the same stuff at marked up prices, well above the exchange rate and taxes, not to mention they charge taxes again on top of it, so I would rather just pay the taxes once.

Hugs,
Krista

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Krista , that's why I rarely order from the US, because of all the extra fee's we pay to get it to us.  Unless I see a phenominal deal on mohair I don't usually order it, even if it is a deal by the time I add shipping onto it and duties and taxes it turns out to be not a deal at all.  Unless you are looking strictly for Schulte mohair, which my supplier does not carry then I just order from my supplier and their prices are usually waaaaaayyyyy lower then anything I can order on the internet.

big hugs

Shane

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Krista..... even if it was marked gift....it was over the $60 dollar limit so that is why you would have to pay.... but....they should only be collecting on the $6.00 and cents that it was over...not the full amount.   Yep... Nancy mentioned it... there is a limit of $60 on gifts before you get dinged  If it is a purchase of materials.. our limit is only $20..and then they tack on the extras (supposedly only on the amount over the $20, but you usually see it is on the full amount).   Now what could we buy for less than $20 I wonder? 

However it may be that you could send in the label that offers refund..it is very sticky and tough to get off the package..and the information is hidden on the underneath side...but it offers a chance to explain the situation and perhaps... just perhaps...there might be some reason they would return some of the money you paid.  I have sent several and they did actually send me part of it.  I wish there were some local customs people we could go to see with our wrecked parcels and their stamps and charges... we could at least get the questions straightened out.  But... perhaps check out a phone number... maybe you can track down a customs official in the phone book and have a chat about it.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

In Sweden we are supposed to pay 25% sales tax on all imports and they include the shipping costs in that  bear_angry Customs on fabrics is 5%, don't know about toys. On top of it all, the post gets about $10 for handling the customs procedure. Gifts are free up to about $70 per sender and per recipient, so if the parcel is from your aunt and uncle you can get twice the amount for free and similar if it is addressed to several people. many parcels slip through though and if the fees are less than about $15 customs usually doesn't bother.

Laura, I never thought the US has many taxes at all. Try our 25% sales tax, much higher taxes on gas and alcohol, up to 54% income tax (depending on income) and some other nice fees and taxes they collect at different occasions.

Board footer