Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Does anyone know Felicia Hymer and (make use of ) her Bear Scout services?

She had a write-up in the current TB&F issue and I've been asked about her by an overseas bear artist.

TIA!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I do not know her personally, but have exhibited near her at a few shows.  She carries a very good selection of artists and seems to attend shows with a LOT of bears, but also seems to do fairly well in sales (from what I've seen as a casual observer).  I remember admiring several Wee Scones on her table at the Hunt Valley show last November.
bear_original

Kelly

suburban Chicago

Thx Kelly,

Do you know if she stays pretty close to home? (East coast?)

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

I realise this is a very old post but I wondered if anyone on here has had dealings with Felicia Hymer?

I can't speak from first-hand experience but a recent friend I made in the bear-making community was saying how she's lost several of the bears and dolls my friend had sent her (claimed they had not been numbered properly?) and hasn't paid her for them as promised (although they appear in some of her facebook photos). Also that she changed how she would price them and how much commission she would take without consulting with the artist.

I know these are potentially rather damning claims and is (of course) only one side of the story so I wondered if anyone here has worked with her before?

suburban Chicago

I'd had a second-hand experience w/FH: an article on needle felting in TB&F had one 'artist' using my online previously posted description of the needle felting process as her own words. The article had FH's byline. I contacted the artist a few times before she responded - where she "threw FH under the bus" - blaming her for quoting me. TB&F printed a corrective attribution, after I sent them proof of the original article's words. As I recall, FH said that the artist sent her my wording.
In the end, no one took responsibility and a year later another very well-known artist used the very same wording on her website, too.
It almost doesn't pay to be helpful!
Bobbie R

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Kirstie, I have purchased bears from Felicia via facebook, and have found her to be very helpful and conscientious. It's hard for me to imagine her doing anything in an underhanded way. My two cents.

Becky

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know we all hate seeing others get wronged or falsely accused, hence why I wondered if anyone else had had any trouble or not.

But the court of public opinion is a dangerous place... Perhaps I ought to delete this.

suburban Chicago
Kirstie_DDB wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know we all hate seeing others get wronged or falsely accused, hence why I wondered if anyone else had had any trouble or not. But the court of public opinion is a dangerous place... Perhaps I ought to delete this.

No, don't delete; we do all have our own opinions about everything, but only those w/actual experience can post theirs w/o repercussion.
A very well-known Australian artist originally asked me for information, knowing that I attend shows where FH also exhibits, as an agent for other artists. She was wondering about 'employing' FH bring her work to US show attendees.
My own experiences can be backed up w/info in print & online; I did not enter the names of the 2 artists (I understand one has left the bear business) though not out of respect b/c I no longer respect others who are plagiarists.

Board footer