Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Nina Maryland

Alvaro-Dedone-Portrait-Smaller-Picture.jpgThis is Alvaro, a hefty 16 inch bear with 3 inch tipped Schulte mohair. I actually made him in three stages. First, he was "bear-naked," but then I later decided he needed a crown of leaves. Then I tried some experimental eye lids, an experiment that did NOT work.  Fortunately, I was able to cut away the failed experimental eye lids and then read some advice right here in Teddy Talk about putting in leather corded eyelids.

Alvaro's nose is embroidered with perle cotton, then I put on a layer of Modge Podge to give it a shiny "wet" look. His eyes are hand-painted Intercal eyes that originally were clear glass.

I keep many of the bears I make. Alvaro has definitely turned into one of my "keepers." I now keep him in my cubicle at work (I work as a computer programmer for the government) and he keeps me cheerful while I write and debug programs.  I've also decided to use him as my "avatar."  bear_original

255085272.jpg

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

I really do love Alvaro - he has a wonderful mystical look about him.  Glad he is keeping you company at work.  I think he is a special boy.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

He does have a kind of mystical "keeper of the forest" look about him. I've never thought about ModgePodge for a shiny nose. Wonderful imagination.

Nina Maryland

Thanks so much, everyone, for your encouragement. I've found that sometimes bears can "tell" me what their basic characters are like. Alvaro "told" me that he likes leaves and forest. But he also "told" me that he loves stone necklaces as well -- so that's what I gave him!

I LOVE long fur! I still have some of Intercal's two-inch white fur to use. I'll probably dye it and then -- well who knows? I'll let the bear spirits tell me what to do with it after that!

bear_grin  bear_cool

Board footer