Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

O,ne of my bears I listed on ebay sold and the auction ended on the 29th, anyhow I was waiting for contact since I mailed her the invoice, didn't hear anything so I sent her another message a couple days later, didn't hear anything then finally on the 4th she sent me a message apologizing and saying she had been having internet trouble. Ok, I understand, its the 5th tonight still no payment as she was saying she would pay me through paypal quickly. Tonight I was randomly looking at bears and I see she has been bidding on another 2 and the last bid on one was today! I am starting to get mad! bear_angry and yet she has 100 positive feedback...... what to do?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I haven't a clue, as I don't sell on ebay that often  bear_sad  But I'm sure one of the other girls with Ebay savvy can help.  Just wanted to send along a  :hug:  because I know how utterly frustrating this can be!

Oh, and be sure to save every email you send to her and receive from her.  That way, you can show ebay that you've been trying to contact her regarding this auction.   bear_thumb  Best of luck!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Brenda I am so sorry.  I've had this happen to me a couple of times on non-bear auctions.  Try sending them one more email (since she obviously has internet access).  In a friendly way... try to remind her of the payment due.... that you wanted to check with her one more time on that before you had to file a Non paying bidder report to get your ebay fees refunded. 

I'd also recommend.. in future listings... that you list clearly in your auctions when payment is due.  I state that payment is due within 7 days of the end of the auction.  Some people have an even shorter time... but I like to allow for mailing just in case.

Another recommendation.... as a seller you have the option to block people who have had 2 unpaid item strikes in the last 30 days.  This option is located on the selling page after the shipping.... under "Additional Information"  "buyer requirements"

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I agree with Laura for payment terms clearly stated in your auctions in the future. I do the same but I'm not so generous. I ONLY accept PayPal and give them 3 days to pay or else.... I don't mess around... I've been taken advantage of one too many times.

Yes, email her once more as a 'final attempt' to collect what she owes you. Tell her it must be received within 24 hours or you'll submit a non-paying bidder alert and the bear will be put back up for adoption and she will be blocked from bidding.

Everyone has an excuse... some very legit.... others are just full of what comes out a cow's rump! You have no way of knowing who is honest and who isn't (read Paula's post!) so you need to look out for YOU!

Good luck!  :hug:
Daphne

thanks for advice ladies :hug: I put another bear up recently again and stated they must contact me within 2 days of auction closing to give me their method of payment. I see other bear artists have strict instructions on payments and now [since I'm newer to ebay] I can see why! :doh:

Hello, she actually paid me today! :clap:  :clap:

Nina Maryland

I had a similar experience recently. Not on one of my bears but on a Himstedt doll from my extensive collection of Himstedts that I was selling. A lady with 100% positive feedback wrote me during the auction and asked about accepting layaways. I told her I would, because I've certainly paid for plenty of dolls and bears using layaway. In fact, Judi Paul of Luxembears is generously offering me a layaway plan for Black Forest, the bear I just won on Ebay made by her.

At any rate, I told this lady that I would take a 3-month layaway and that the layaway payments were non-refundable; in the event that she changed her mind, she would forfeit the payments made. Of course if the doll arrived damaged, then she would get a full refund as I always require insurance whenever I sell anything on Ebay. At the time, I also had listed a 3-day return guarantee that if for any reason, a buyer wasn't satisfied, she/he could return the item within 3 days and receive a refund minus all Ebay fees and shipping costs. On my auction, itself, I stated that payment arrangements had to be made within 3 days.

So this lady won the auction and I invoiced her. No response after 2 days, so I emailed her again. She reminded me that she was the person to whom I had offered layaway to, so I asked her for the first payment. No response. 5 days went by and still no response or payment. I finally emailed her, reminded her of my 3-day payment arrangement requirement and asked when she planned to make the first of the 3 layaway payments. 

A couple of days after that, she replied in a huff that she would pay for the doll in full, which she did via Paypal. I promptly took the money out of the Paypal account so that she couldn't do any "chargebacks" and I promptly sent her the doll. I with-held the feedback for the 3-day guarantee period to pass. I was afraid that she would decide that there was something "wrong" with the doll and demand her money back. Fortunately, that didn't happen. I did give her positive feedback for a quick payment. I wondered if she were going to spoil my 100% positive feedback with some sort of negative comment, but she didn't -- she didn't give any feedback at all.

So I still kept my money and my 100% rating, but I learned some lessons.  No more 3-day unconditional return guarantee; my items will be sold "as is." I'm not sure about layaway, but my bears are so far quite inexpensive so layaway shouldn't be an issue. I haven't decided whether to offer it or not because of the generosity that others have shown to me concerning layaway.

I think some people take advantage of dealing on ebay because your not actually face to face with that person so they tend to take their time sometimes. I wonder if she would do that or has done that with an actual store when putting something on layaway. In my case I have had 2 now that have just taken their time  bear_whistle on paying and I'm a punctual person paying right after an auction closing, wouldn't anyone want their stuff shipped as soon as possible? and I really think about the purchase before I bid on it bear_smile and I would hate to ruin mine or someone elses feedback............but we are good honest people bear_wub

Board footer