Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

TT-tobias-leo.jpgTobias is 13" tall, soft-stuffed to be really snuggly. He sat around here naked for months, waiting for
me to find the just-right hat pattern. Once I could make his hat, the rest would fall into place!

Tobias wears an alpaca sweater made just for him. I spun, dyed, and crocheted the fleece myself, and
made the sweater! My neighbor raises alpacas, they have the softest fleece. So I was delighted to buy
some from her to spin.

Look - I even got to help on shearing day! (blinking in the photo, as usual lol)

503892721_84f40df363.jpg

I also dyed Tobias' herringbone wool cap. I was going crazy trying to find the pattern for a simple flat cap.
I ended up taking one of Dad's that he doesn't wear, and taking it apart to make a pattern, & shrinking it down!

525231786_ed62d3817f.jpg

Tobias' britches are cotton homespun, and his suspenders are cotton too. His suspender buttons are handmade
ceramic and glazed. I saw them on ebay and couldn't resist getting about a dozen of them, they are so pretty.

Tobias' eyes are shoebuttons, his paws are wool felt. He is an original pattern, and OOAK. He comes with his
little bulldog, Leo, who is painted muslin and also OOAK.

As it turns out these fellows did not even make it to ebay! I wanted to give Marty, the alpaca breeder, first
dibs, and she bought them  bear_grin I am pleased as punch, cos we worked it out that she traded me some prime
quality fleece as part of the deal - I am gonna be in spinning heaven!  bear_thumb  bear_cool  :dance:

thanks for looking!

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Great job on Tobias and his outfit,Kim! ...and I think a wonderful deal all 'round for you with the trade...

Your friend Marty will be the only person who knows and will appreciate the amount of work you put into doing that outfit.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

What a lovely bear but that hat is just fab, if you don't mind me asking what did you use to stiffen the peak as I had thought of making one but was not sure what to use bear_flower

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Kim this set is FANTASTIC!  I just love them....and how cool that your sweaters are yours start (literally) to finish.  Wow, I'd be so thrilled to own this set, your friend must be too!

:hug:
~Chrissi

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi Kim,

I love Tobias!  He is fantastic and his little friend too.  I really enjoyed reading your story on how you created him.  How wonderful that you got some nice alpaca wool to spin.  I do some spinning on a hand drop spindle.  So once I saw the shearing and read the word "spun," I was hooked and had to read everything that you wrote. 

Do you spin on a spinning wheel?  I have always wanted a spinning wheel, I've just haven't saved the money up yet.  That's my dream someday!!  Thanks for sharing with us!!

hugs,
Sheila

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This set is GLORIOUS and of course holds a special place in my heart because my son's name is Toby (are you bored with hearing that yet?) ;)

Just wonderful... truly.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Thank you!!

Shelli....oh dear.... I have for years wanted a pet goat named Toby... lol don't know if I ought to tell you that or not!!

Sheila, COOL another spinner!
I started with a drop spindle but, while pleasant & relaxing, it takes such a long time! I really wanted to move on to a wheel before too long. I know they can be expensive but I read lots of reviews & I ended up with this one:

http://www.woolery.com/Pages/babefr.html#production

the price is pretty much unbeatable & shipping is included. I got the double treadle. I love it! It doesn't have the looks of a more traditional wheel, but I didn't want to commit to a $600 one when I wasn't sure if I'd take to spinning or not. Also, now I can spin, but still hold out for the legendary cheap & perfect garage sale spinning wheel!  bear_grin

Sue do you mean the brim? the brim is the only part where I used anything - and that was just a layer of buckram. The hat itself is pretty floppy otherwise! I was kind of put off, originally, by the texture of the wool right off the bolt - it had so much sizing in it, it felt smooth as paper and very WEIRD for wool! Fortunately it softened right up after a quick scrub with detergent.

Chrissi I figure I will learn to knit & crochet in small, manageable, bear-sized doses!!

Thanks again everyone!!

sheilaleigh Sheila Leigh
Lincoln, Nebraska

Hi Kim,

I thought about a Babe at one time too.  Now I have my heart set on a  Lendrum Spinning Wheel with a double treadle.  It costs alot so it might be awhile before I can get one.  If I would just make some bears to sell then I could probably afford to buy one. 

I love spinning!  It is so relaxing.  The only thing about a drop spindle is that my arms get tired because it's so addicting that I can't stop once I've begun. :crackup:

hugs,
Sheila

denisepurrington Out Of The Forest Bears
Seattle
Website

WOW Kim. I love them!!! bear_wub  You were a very busy Girl with this set & well worth it.
Write soon. I haven't talked to you for a while.
I hope all is well. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next.
Big Hugs,
Denise  bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Fantastic Kim.  I will be keeping my eyes peeled for another one like him....to come and live with me.  WOW!!!  I also love the photo of the lama shearing.  How cool is that! bear_original  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Board footer