Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

I was talking yesterday to someone I had met that is making her own bears. 

As I usually do, I asked her if she was on line and did she know about Teddy Talk.

She responded by telling me that the person that had taught her all she knows about making bears says that Teddy Talk is too political and she (her teacher) isn't involved with it and she (the lady I was talking to) shouldn't be either.

What!?

Did you guys go off and form political parties and hold ugly mud-slinging elections while I wasn't watching....

I have to say that I was speachless (and those of you who know me, know that is a RARE occassion!!)

Has anyone else run into this?  How do we combat it?

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I wouldn't be insulted by that comment. Of course, Teddy Talk isn't for everyone. I would not say it is "political" but in any large group such as TT there are bound to be those who disagree with one another. Depending on how individuals chose to handle the disagreement, the atmosphere can become negative. I don't care for that, but I just steer clear of those threads and enjoy the more positive ones.
In general, I think that the advisors do a wonderful job of making this sight what it was intended to be, a positive place to share a common love of Teddy Bears and creative endeavors.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh  I have to say, she lost me at the part where her teacher told her she (the new bearmaker) shouldn't be involved either!   :crackup:   Last time I checked, it was up to people to make their own choices, as to whether or not they want to belong to a forum.  Honestly if someone had told me that, I would have been logged onto Teddy Talk the same night just to look and see what all the fuss was about. 

Don't worry about the 'bad' reflection.  As Tami says, there's always someone out there holding rotten tomatoes to throw.   :hug:  I too just look for the positive threads and go from there.  Life's too short for all the other drama  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks for the supportive words, Tami & Debbie.  They're appreciated!

Forums are a combination of software, graphics, and human contributors.  Unless they're specifically politically oriented -- such as a DEMOCRATIC or REPUBLICAN forums, etc. -- they are a-political entitities, in and of themselves.  Any politics brought to forums, this one or otherwise, are brought by the people who participate on those forums -- the moderators, who are inevitably a very small group or even a single individual, and to a much larger degree, the participating public.

The small group of Advisors at TT tries to keep both politics and negativity to a minimum by establishing and enforcing sane, responsible guidelines for posting behavior. We aim to equally welcome both the novice, amateur bearmaker and the experienced professional artisan.  I don't know that any of us have ever explicitly expressed our political preferences (I certainly haven't), and I don't think we play favorites or encourage cliques -- in fact, quite the opposite.  I think we do a bang up job of keeping things even and level in a world that fluctuates 24/7.

As has been said here and elsewhere, though, what we can not do, as Advisors or as a "forum," is control what people bring TO the forum, in terms of their own issues and attitudes... or what they take FROM it, in terms of the opinions they form or the conclusions they draw.  "You say to-MAH-to, I say to-MAY-to"... and so on.

We've all seen homeless, mentally ill people, living on the street, and possibly addicted to drugs ... right?  One person, walking by such a sight, might think, "How sad that is!  I wonder how he got that way...?  Does he have family, or any kind of support to help him improve his life?  I wish I could help."

But another person, walking by that same sight, might think, "What a loser.  I hate that my tax dollars pay his welfare check.  People like that should be rounded up and put in camps to rot.  They spoil my sidewalk experience."

These are two, diametrically opposite, conclusions, but they are drawn from one single data point which itself doesn't vary from one moment to the next.  Either opinion could be the "correct" conclusion... or neither.  Or both, for that matter.  So which is it?  Is the homeless man a saint, or a sinner?  Is he a victim, or a villian?  Does he deserve a leg up, or a kick in the rear?  Hmmm.  There really isn't ONE answer, is there?  Ultimately, any conclusions drawn about that homeless man boil down to what each person brings TO the experience of seeing him, and takes away FROM it.

The same is true for this forum, and every other one I've ever visited -- and there have been plenty.  The forum can only be what it is, and as Advisors, we can only do our best to keep it light and fun and collaborative and instructive and pretty, which was our original mission.  What people THINK OF THE FORUM, after all that is said and done, is, in the end, their own creation, and not something we can control. 

Happily, we've had abundant feedback, both publicly and privately, over the years proving that, for any one disgruntled visitor to TT, there are hundreds more who are delighted both with the amount and quality of information available here, and the welcome, camaraderie and support to be found here.

As for your bearmaking novice's mentor, Bev... I think she's shortsighted.  There's a world of knowledge for the novice bearmaker here.  So it just strikes me as illogical to turn away from all that, and away from the real possibility of friendship, networking, and connection here -- not to mention free, worldwide exposure and potential sales! -- because of some nebulous label like "politics."  I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean in this application.

We're always open to suggestions for improvement.  But third-hand gossip labelling the forum as "political" isn't so much constructive criticism, or an idea for improvement, as it is a personal opinion... something having as much (or more) to do with the person who expressed it, as with the forum itself.

Like the homeless man in the example above, Teddy Talk -- the forum -- is one single data point.  We do our best to make it the best and brightest data point on the web.

What people think of Teddy Talk, beyond that, is 100% theirs to own.

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Shelli,  I just LOVE to read your posts - you make so much sense!!  Your view of people and the world is just so logical.
To this new bearmaker and her 'teacher', all I can say is that it is their loss.  I cannot even quantify all that I have gained from being a member of this community.

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

When I was purchasing my first piece of faux fur (from a local shop and they only had a few good quality bits), a child infront of me spoke to his mother saying "oh mummy you can make a bear with this" and as I am a people person I smiled and spoke to her, I explained that I had just started, If I had not been reading TT at the time (I read it for a few months before joining) I would have been very put off carrying on her tone was a bit off and superior, luckily I already knew this site was full of warm kind people who cared about each other, even though most had never met, we may all have different opinions and voice them at times but the people here are very quick to offer help, a kind word or sympathy.
It seems to me that the teacher like the lady in the shop (who insisted that I must have heard of her) were of a jealous type and possibly have a problem with competition, hope you understand this but when we all look at others work on this site we think wow, I wish I could do that, our feet are on the ground. Others like the lady I met do not think like that they forget that at some point they were new too and they are jealous of others creations. Why else would they have such a strong reaction to TT????Like Shelli says its how you view the world.
I feel sorry for their bears, they can't be filled with many cuddles bear_cry

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Did you guys go off and form political parties and hold ugly mud-slinging elections while I wasn't watching....

sorry... did you not get the memo??? :crackup:  :crackup:

I have gained so much in the year and a bit that I have been part of TT and to be honest, it hasn't even been so much about the bearmaking as the camaraderie of like minded people that I find here. Whether its of the "I need a hug variety" or the "come celebrate with me" so many people are there to lend a helping hand or a clapping one.
I haven't felt really compelled to share the bears and animals I have been working on because its been cool just to be a part of everyone else's experience.
Its in my DNA I guess, that once I find someplace that makes me happy, I feel very loyal to it and feel some 'ownership' towards it and want to protect it from criticism. What I don't understand, is people who are so critical of TT on other forums or their blogs but line up to promote themselves or their work on it when it serves them. Sorry if that sound inflammatory but its been bugging me a bit as of late so I said it.

As Shelli so eloquently said, I guess its all about peoples perceptions, so sorry this lady has missed out!

Cheryl bear_flower

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Hear, Hear Shelli, very well said!!!
I have grown to love TT , it is the very first thing I do when I get up,  I check in on here and the last thing I do before bed,  I have been able to meet people I would never otherwise been able to meet, I found some wonderful friends and I feel richer in life for knowing them. 

I agree it is impossible to make everyone happy, but I think this chat site does a wonderful job watching that  we play fair, and yes every family, (I do believe we on here are a family of sorts) have arguments and everyone is not going to like everyone else.   But you don't condemn the whole site for one problem, I also think they do a better job controlling fires now, they stop fights before they blow up into a great big deal. 

I had a problem with someone on here , and long story short, we have made peace and are moving into , dare I say a friendship of sorts, if a month ago someone had said, " you and this person would be kind to each other " I would have called them a liar, but we are and life is so much better because the hatefulness is gone. TT allowed that to happen. 

I think we need to be upset sometimes, heck I don't know of anyone that hasn't at one time or another didn't get on my nerves and I know people feel the same way about me, and that is OK, it is what we do after that, that means the most, do we get over ourselves and move on or do we throw our toys in the middle and say "I'm going home"  and stop being friends.  I think how sad it is that , that teacher stopped the person from not learning for herself whether  TT was a good place or a bad place, it really is like life in general, there is some bad, but so much good I would be sad if I had missed it!

Hugs
Jodi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, there IS mud-slinging from time to time.... isnt' there just about anywhere a large group of people, especially one with a lot of estrogen, is formed? :crackup:

We don't all agree, stuff goes on behind the scenes so to speak and there have been times when it's been the last place I've wanted to be.

But the nasty words and the fluff seem to have neutralize with the ebb and flow of member participation and it's such a pleasant place to be these days! I agree, the moderators do a great job. I didn't read Shel's post... I'm really trying not to be on here so long and she types faster than I read,  bear_tongue but I'm sure she had a lot of great things to say! bear_original  bear_thumb

If this person you were talking to thinks as her teacher does than it's just as well they aren't here.... don't need the negativity!

Go TT!

Hey, let's form our own political party.... how horrible can we be if we're founded on a love for teddy bears and all they stand for in our lives??????

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Tami E wrote:

I wouldn't be insulted by that comment. Of course, Teddy Talk isn't for everyone. I would not say it is "political" but in any large group such as TT there are bound to be those who disagree with one another. Depending on how individuals chose to handle the disagreement, the atmosphere can become negative. I don't care for that, but I just steer clear of those threads and enjoy the more positive ones.
In general, I think that the advisors do a wonderful job of making this sight what it was intended to be, a positive place to share a common love of Teddy Bears and creative endeavors.

My thoughts exactly Tami. 

I'm thinking that this person wasn't talking about "politics"(as in elections/voting/candidates) at all, but referencing something else that she found not to her tastes.  And that's fine.  But to pass it along to others, especially those you're mentoring isn't cool. Like Tami I focus on the positive and support those aspects 100%..........yah get what yah put in bear_original

TT has been an absolute gem for me and I tell as many people I can about it.  It's sad that this student/new bear maker may have shut the door on friendships and opportunities based on one person's opinion.  That's a shame.  Makes you wonder if the teacher doesn't want the student to find new techniques or even "teachers".....maybe teach is threatened by the incredible array of knowledge that TT holds?  Sadly enough some folks are like that.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Strike A Paw Posts: 535

All I can say is that I love Teddy Talk and all the great people on it!  My day is not complete until I visit TT.  :hug:

Hugs,

Julie

teeeej Brisbane

I don't know what I would do without TT. It has been an invaluable place for information for me as I have been learning, and everyone is so nice and cheery. I went to a workshop a little while ago and none of the other participants use computers that much. Boy, are they missing out! I love being able to come on here and simply have a chat with like minded souls. None of my close friends or family makes bears, so I really love TT. bear_wub

From Therese

p.s. I think I should get back to work now. Teddy Talk distracts my several times a day. :crackup:  :crackup:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

As with any forum there are many different people on here and we all I'm sure have been the center of hateful commentary.  My experience happend on another forum that I have yet to post on since then.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, so I got to thinking about what this woman said and tell me this:

Have you ever had a bad meal at a restaurant and sworn you'd never go back there? Then you meet some one new to or visiting the area and they ask about a good place to eat and one of the first things you tell them is where NOT to go?

I'm not agreeing with this teddy teacher about her opinion of TT but what she's done isn't much different than us telling someone what we think of a place because of a bad experience we've had or witnessed. Is it?

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I tell everyone about this site. :dance:  The only reason the 'TEACHER' said what she said is to protect her earnings from Bear making workshops.  There are a lot of people out there like that. I know one personally.
Its a shame that she doesnt want her 'pupils' to learn and develope within this craft............

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I feel sorry for the ladies !! They are really missing out on some good times. Wouldn't every one agree ? I have never had any one talk against it, TT that is ... but then again most people I talk to personally don't even know anything about the joy of holding a new teddy bear friend either !! Also Soooooooooo sad !!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I might be just a tiny bit biased, but my opinion is that Teddy Talk - AT THE VERY LEAST - has a plethora of information in its library that any new artist could benefit from.  You TTers are so very generous with your tips, knowledge, and experience, that your input can save beginners tons of frustration and time by sharing what you have already learned.  And just that would be reason enough to steer someone toward this forum.  Nobody has to read or respond to threads or posts that don't interest them.

I love the fact that I can come here and post, that tonight, I broke my favorite sewing needle, it was perfect in length and the eye of the needle was easy to thread without being too big, It even had a kind of bow to it, from using it so much. I had it forever , thought I lost it several times during the time I had it , but it always turned up (man don't you hate when you misplace them  bear_shocked , I always worry someone will step on it  bear_cry )

I guess it just wore out because I really wasn't forcing it, the eye just snapped.  But there are very few places I can post this and someone understand why this would be upsetting.  I told my husband and he goes "well buy a new one" , he just doesn't understand bear_noexpression

:hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I told my husband and he goes "well buy a new one" , he just doesn't understand :|

:hug: Yep, we understand :hug:  I once had a needle that sounds just like the one that you  just broke. I was so upset at its passing I ate cake.  bear_cry  :hug:
Funny buggers arent we? hhahahahahahahahahh

Jodi YES YES YES, between bear no3 and 4 I lost my needle and had to use another, I was so mad , hubby did not understand "a needle is a needle" he says, "No" I said to which he just smiled an indulgent smile and said "your mothers of on one again" (hormones!!) Luckily I found it attatched to a piece of material the next day but it felt very uncomfortable sewing with another one, you have my sympathies, god knows what I will do when it breaks as it was part of a multi-pack and I have not got a clue what size it is :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have found that since I joined TT my bears have improved no end...and that is because TT does make you think about what you are doing and why..and maybe find new ways.  So I am grateful for that and it's testimony to why TT is such a good forum.

Whatever forum you are on, though, there will always be 'issues' and we have had them from time to time...It just may be that this person isn't able to just 'move on' and takes things to very personally..we know that those folks that can't move on end up leaving the forum because they just get too wound up over debates that in the great scheme of things aren't really anything to get wound up over.  I do think politics exists in any group...it's unavoidable..otherwise TT would not have made it's new rules awhile back...but I think..echoing what Sue Ann said...on balance it really is a great place to visit.

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.

What is a sidewalk experience? How do I know if I have had one? bear_whistle

Kilde Posts: 186

I can't add much that hasn't already been said....except to say that TT to me - being a newbie to bear making and living in DK which is NOT "teddy bear country" - has been invaluable! I fount TT some time ago and read the posts daily and learned a lot from all of you before I joined. If it hadn't been for places like TT, I would have given up bear making a long time ago! I can't get the information I need anywhere else and we don't have lots of fairs, workshops etc. here so TT is the place where I find lots of inspiration, information on new techniques...and lots of laughs!  bear_grin

There are so many extremely skilled bear artists in here who are not afraid to share their knowledge with the rest of us - and THAT is worth a lot to me! Besides, I never feel as if I'm in the wrong place being a newbie...at TT there is always room for stupid questions  bear_tongue and kind words to us that may not make perfect bears but just need encouragement and help to improve.

Its the first place I go to in the morning when I turn on my computer (from work...shame on me!!  :redface:  bear_tongue ) and its the last place I go to before I turn off the computer in the evening at home.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say - especially not the ones that are not here anyway. Maybe this teacher is just afraid of un-employment and competition?  bear_happy  bear_grin

P.S. TT is also the only place where I can practice my English - now that I got employed with a company that has NOOOO English customers at all!  :crackup:

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: to all of you!  bear_flower

FenBeary Folk wrote:

Jodi YES YES YES, between bear no3 and 4 I lost my needle and had to use another, I was so mad , hubby did not understand "a needle is a needle" he says, "No" I said to which he just smiled an indulgent smile and said "your mothers of on one again" (hormones!!) Luckily I found it attatched to a piece of material the next day but it felt very uncomfortable sewing with another one, you have my sympathies, god knows what I will do when it breaks as it was part of a multi-pack and I have not got a clue what size it is :hug:

I can't remember where I got mine too, I believe it was also a multi pack and I used some little stubby short one tonight that just didn't feel right. See,  we can come here and understand each others pain  bear_sad  bear_original  I think Matilda has the right idea, cake is definitely needed tonight bear_grin  but oh my it's 3am and way to late for cake, hmmmmmm maybe a cookie won't hurt bear_whistle

To the moderators here on TT you are doing a great job, keeping us in line, sometimes we all need a little slap on the wrist to remind us to play nice, I hope that everyone that has left mad will one day give this another try, maybe they will find something of value here, because like you all have said, there is so much great info here and some really wonderful people.  And really, where else are you going to find, that when you break a beloved sewing needle, they mention yummy cake.  Hmmmmmm Cake! bear_wub
Hugs
and goodnight
Jodi the needleless :crackup:

Its a shame you can't test drive new needles :hug:
Jodi the needleless :crackup:  :crackup: Love that one
Go eat cake, cake is good at any time of the day or night

Board footer