Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

There are a few posts in the backlogs which deal with making Child-Safe bears, but I wanted to reopen the conversation, with a specific look at fabrics and seams.

The circle of child-rearing friends I know are growing. I have one set who are expecting shortly, and a few others with children who are in the 3-5 range.

I'm concerned about the potential risks of these kids tearing open my bears and getting at the stuffing inside. I also know that "standard american synthetic fur" tends to easily give up fur fibers when pulled on.

Am I being paranoid by worrying about these concerns? I machine stitch, and wonder if using a double needle might be a suitable precaution against rips at the seams.

I also wonder about the advisability of using animal fur available at most local fabric stores, given how easily the fur pulls off the fabric backing.

(Links to previous conversations welcome)

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Amul,

First off I would not recommend using an animal fur for a bear for a child, not if the bear it going to be played with.  We have done bears out of real fur for gifts to children (made from their grandmothers fur coat) but these bears are specifically be left on a shelf and are only to celebrate the birth of the child more of a keepsake.

As for synthetics, if I was going to make a bear for a child I likely would use a German synthetic , or something that has a woven back instead of a knit back.  I find the fibres tend to not come out as easily on a woven back, you will pay more money for a nice German woven back synthetic but it is worth the cost.

As for sewing them with a double needle  you could do that or just sew the seams twice with a regular needle.  I've never made a teddy bear for a child to play with as all of our bears are collectible bears.

hope this helps

big hugs

Shane

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I make several bears I consider Baby-Safe. I use either synthetic fur, or a shaggy plush felt which is machine wash and dry. I just made one using fleece that I lined each piec so the fleece doesn't stretch. I do NOT use joints and the eyes I embroider on or use felt eyes that I sew on. For the bears made from synthetic fur, I recommend surface washing and do not put it in the dryer. The Shaggy Plush Felt (so says the manufacturer) gets softer the more it is washed and used. I have not had anyone with concerns about the way I make them. I use just my single needle sewing on the machine.
pandamac

Board footer