Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm working away on yet another prototype I can't show publicly and I'm reminded again how much I miss sharing pictures and updates with you all. So I thought I'd take a few photos of my work space and maybe reintroduce this always-a-favorite topic, with hopes you'll post photos of your work spaces, too.

If you decide to repost workspace pics you've uploaded here previously, you'll have to rename them in order to do so.  Just FYI, in case you run into the little message that says something like, "That photo is already on the server."

Here's where I do all my creating.  It's a guest bedroom and most of my bear stuff gets stored in my giant IKEA desk, with hutch.

MyWorkTable.jpg

Behind me is my supply wall where you can see the very cool & handy ribbon rack my dad made for me, and my rubber stamp and footpad supplies, plus a lot of other stuff like scrapbook papers and Xyron cartridges.  The closet where I take all my photos, which has flourescent lights mounted on both walls and on the ceiling, can be seen to the far right.  Or, at least, you can see the door to it.

MySupplyWall.jpg

And to my left is the guest bed.  My usual guests are cats, as in this photo; Chance is curled up nearby enjoying the breeze, sunshine, and company.

MyEnvironment.jpg

Okay, now let's see yours!  Show us where the magic happens!!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Very cool, thanks for the reminder to take some pics of mine. I made our spare bedroom a studio and it's perfect, but it's also being torn down for a baby room............... bear_cry  bear_grin  So I'd better get some pics now to remember it by.

I'll take some pics and post them

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Mine is an extremely small 5x8 space with a pocket door to save space.  It was supposed to be out pantry (it's next to the kitchen) but I conned my husband into turning it into my "studio."  My next idea is to expand it when we put the room on the back of the house.  I'd like to have more windows and light so I'll have to see if the hubby goes for my idea.  LOL!

Anyway, here's some pics of mine when it's clean (which isn't often):

248945314.jpg

248945307.jpg

248945311.jpg

248945312.jpg

248945310.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Heather -- I can't think of a better, happier reason to tear down a studio.  bear_original 

Lisa -- You've done wonders with that small space.  It's organized AND pretty to boot.  Love your little curtain-framed window.  Mine looks out on an ugly fence but lets in nice light so I'm grateful.  Your sock monkey made me smile!

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

Gives me some good ideas on organization. Thanks.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shelli, 
     I'm in awe of your neat space - I've never finished unpacking from our move a year ago and don't know where half my stuff is now.  My work space is about 3 feet as I still have boxes piled in my studio that have never been unpacked because as I've said before - I can't do organization.  I've accepted that fact and I'll just relace stuff as I need it rather than go looking for it  bear_grin  If you had a thread for the messiest space, I'd win hand's down though  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Rosa3.jpgRosa2.jpgRosa.jpgSillyBearStudio.jpgYou girlies are so organized!!! (sigh)  I'm living with a huge mess of a studio at the moment so I'll just share a picture of what it used to look like!  Oh, and I think I've come to my senses about moving out of that room into a smaller space.  However, I simply must have pink paint on the walls!!!  So, I'll be moving out temporarily anyway.

I'm including some of pictures of lovely things that will go into the space once it's redone.  Oh, and I'm replacing those horrid flourescent lights with sparkly chandeliers too!!!  Ooh la la!!

Hugs and hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Wonderful work space Shelli and Lisa and thanks for sharing.
Your guests would love to be surrounded with all your beautiful bears Shelli, when they come for a visit.
Your sock monkeys are fabulous Lisa and you have made such great use of the space.

At the moment I making my bears on the dinning room table but we are hoping to do an addition to our house to enable me to  have a work space, I can call my own. One day { sigh}

Aleta must have been posting at the same time I was writing - your studio is so pretty as I have said many times before.
The delicate and pretty colours and al the antique treasures - just beautiful

bear_wub

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Wow, those are wonderful.

I feel honored to have personally set foot in Shelli's studio. It was really inspiring. And to also have been able to see some of her award winning bears in the "flesh."

I was also inspired to come home and clean up my mess in my workspace, although it's still nothing like the one's here. I am getting there!

I have all my supplies and sewing machine neatly set-up in the den. But the natural light is so much better in my kitchen. We have a lot of oak trees that make the den sort of dark. I work at my kitchen table where I can SEE what I am working on.

And Aleta!...that is beautiful. It looks like a gorgeous store, so inviting...I want to crawl in there right now.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Jennifer, you crack me up.  I'm glad my work space inspired you.  Certainly, my presentation did not

Jennifer's sister lives in Chico, and sister's son David is a favorite friend of my youngest son, Noah.  Sally's been to my house numerous times.  So when Jen was in town for a visit, Jennifer & Sally dropped by one morning and surprised me.  I was completely thrilled that they came by!  But I was totally unbathed and had not a molecule of makeup on; hair not combed; wearing my "lounging at home today, nobody will see me" clothes.  Eek!

Now, I'm not all that shallow and vain (although I'll cop to some of that; we all like to look our best), but I really don't even feel HUMAN until I have some mascara on.  I've got totally blonde eyebrows and lashes so I'm like your next-door pigment-free albino freakshow girl.  I don't think I've stepped foot in public, intentionally, without mascara, since 7th grade!  I even bring it camping!  I'm happy to get dirty and hike for days, but I bring a tiny mirror and my waterproof mascara!

Anyway, I totally swallowed my vanity, and vowed to deal with my inner discomfort, when I saw it was Jennifer and Sally at my door.  How could I let something so stupid as vanity keep me from meeting such an incredibly talented artist, and the relative of a friend to boot, who was on a rare visit to my home town?  I loved every minute of our too-brief visit, but I was acutely and uncomfortably aware that I looked like something matted and dead a cat might drag in, the entire time she was here.  That, and the fact that the cat box hadn't been properly cleaned in days, and it pretty much smelled like poop in my house, just had me at my not-confident worst.  It was like, "Welcome to Casa Shelli, where you will be entertained by a whitewashed, beady-eyed ghost while surrounded by the perfume of acrid cat pee and poopy litter!"  I'm cringing at the memory. 

Totally laughing here.  Sorry to diverge off topic!  Your comments, J, just made me smile.  And wince.  I'm so glad you were looking at my studio and bears, and not at dirty, unkempt, just-out-of-bed me!  Especially because you are just as cute as a da*n button., yourself.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
nimbleknot wrote:

And Aleta!...that is beautiful. It looks like a gorgeous store, so inviting...I want to crawl in there right now.

I know.  I want to go live with Aleta!!! (me whining)  So gorgeous and lots of Victoriana.  Looks like the cover of a magazine!!!

I like Shelli's set up too.  I've been eyeballing those IKEA cabinets.  They are so functional and clean looking.  I can't wait until the girls are a little older so I'm not constantly thinking they are going to mess things up!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I'll have to tidy up before posting pictures.  My room keeps being rearranged as I share it with my snakes, books, computer and kids stuff.  I am seriously looking at some different items because  :redface: some of the furniture is dying.  :redface:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Lisa wrote:

I want to go live with Aleta!!! (me whining)

I think everyone wants to go live with Aleta.  Everything about her home is impeccable and oh so pretty.  Good thing she's so talented and nice and truly, truly kindhearted and other-oriented, or we'd really have to loathe that woman. 

bear_tongue

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hey now.  bear_happy  Other-oriented?  Huh?   bear_laugh

You can all come live with me......and help me finish all the projects I have going!!!  Now there's a brilliant idea!!  Oh, and I serve Lemon Drop martinis in the evening!!  Hey there!!

Warmest bear hugs, :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  At the moment, my house is not impeccable.   bear_sad

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Looks like beautiful places to design and just to be in those rooms must make you happy. And that inviting bed in the one !! I would be tempted to nap when my neck got tired !! :dance:

teeeej Brisbane

My work space is usually wherever I happen to be in the house - I do a lot of sewing on my bed in front of the TV. I don't have much space for a nice little work area. Most of my bear making things live in my room, except for the sewing machine which steals space in the office. Now that the weather is starting to get nicer I am thinking of starting to work outside on the deck. Theres a nice big table out there itching for me to use!!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Shelli, don't worry, I think we all have those days.  I often don't get out of my pj's until after noon.  You know, you sit down at the computer and the next thing you know, it's lunch time.  Whoops.

Anyhow, your work room is great and so organized.  And, Lisa, I can't believe how efficient your little space is.  It inspires me to make mine more efficient.  And Aleta, you WILL post pictures when you're done with the re-do and painting of your space, right?  Can't wait to see them.

Well, here's a little tour of my workspace:

01_Small.jpg 02_Small.jpg

03_Small.jpg 04_Small.jpg

05_Small.jpg 06_Small.jpg

I keep my fur rack just outside the door to my workspace.  It would take up too much space inside.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh, that's a very pretty and very neat workspace.  Is that your big, beautiful banner (the one you had at NC) on your desk???

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Yes, Shelli,  that's the banner.  My workspace isn't alway this clean.  I had to really clean it up because we had a real estate agent over today to look the house over.  We plan to put it on the market as soon as the front yard landscape is finished.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Brenda, don't worry - I am probably much more untidy than you - in fact I would bet on it.  There is absolutely no way that I am going to post a picture of my work space.  I seem to "spread" out around the house.  I have a huge studio room downstairs, I hand sew in front of the TV upstairs in the living room, you can't see the dining room table top for "stuff", and the spare bedroom is cluttered too.  I really need to take a lesson from some of you ladies and get organized.  I have been going through all my excess mohair lately, and posting it on ebay.  Hopefully I will manage to sort through all my bits and pieces and auction off all the things that I no longer use, instead of just storing it in plastic bins.  Organization is not my forte.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Patty, I can't believe it!
Do you really sew all the way over there squooshed into that left-hand corner? With all of the lovely light coming in? And 2 table/workspaces to get you elbows really flying out there while swinging body parts under the needle?  I'd be planted right into the middle of the window.

Curious: How many have their computer in what's considered your main workroom?

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Bobbie:  If I had a laptop, I'd have mine with me at all times.  I'm an internet junkie.  You?

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Lisa, what do you hang on the red ladder????

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What is it about this thread ... it always catches my eye ... there's something so very intriguing about seeing other makers' workspaces and I love to black my nose! 

As you may or may not know, here in the UK we have a big show on 2nd September, so I'm busy creating havoc in my space at the moment.  I did manage to photograph it this morning, just before I get stuck back into my work for the day.  I confess I had vacuumed last night so that I could bear to go back in today, but other than that, this is how things really are, no tidy fairygloss for the camera like I had when I last shared pics!  bear_tongue

As you can see, I'm pretty well set up so I never have to leave!  I have my little tv, dvd player, video player and stereo system all wired up and a telephone to hand.  The only thing I don't have in there at the moment is my computer, simpy because I prefer to work with a full sized computer rather than my laptop and I don't like to be diverted by the computer ... which reminds me, I'd better get back upstairs to work now!   bear_laugh

Workroom1.jpg  Workroom2.jpg  Workroom4.jpg

Pages:

Board footer