Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
Swan Valley Bears wrote:

Anyhow, your work room is great and so organized.  And, Lisa, I can't believe how efficient your little space is.  It inspires me to make mine more efficient.

First of all, I love your workspace Patty.  I really love the rack where you hang your mohair.  I wish I had room for one of those.  Stacking is the pits because when I "dig" it all falls in the floor!  So really not that efficient because I have to clean up a mess every time I "dig" which is a lot!

Oh, what you don't see in my workroom is a extra long wooden shelf my husband installed right above the pocket door that has about 40 of those clear plastic shoe boxes that hold all of my "accessories" for bears along with buttons, trim, etc.  I love that people can't see it because it looks neat but there are so many!

I have one of those stool/ladder combinations in my workspace that I use to shimmy up there and get a shoebox when I need it.  It's worked out well.  And no, Bobbie R., I don't use that little red ladder to shimmy up there.  LOL!  That would never hold me!  I just store it there until Christmas and then I prop it up against my tree and have bears climbing up acting as "assistants" to decorate my tree.  This year though my Christmas theme is SOCK MONKEYS!!!  Surprised????

Anyone else crazy enough to do "themes" at Christmas?  I have bins in my basement for like 5 different themes.  I could honestly open a Holiday store and probably support all of us! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli what perfect timing for this thread!  After drooling over Daphne's studio over the weekend, I came home and had to re-organize my own.  I have another show in 3 weeks... what was I thinking?  :crackup:

I'm still in progress, but thought I'd be brave and show you this....

studio-in-progress.jpg

NO... It doesn't look like this hardly EVER!!  I've got all my boxes pulled out of my closet for a total re-organization.  Just thought it would be funny to post.  Hubby came home in the middle of this and about had a heart attack  bear_wacko

As for Bobbie's question - yep, our main computer is in my studio.  That means hubby needs to use the space when it's bill paying time.  My 4 Girls crates are also in the office as there's no place else to put them. 

Maybe I'll finish today and can post "After" photos....

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Patty and Paula,  bear_flower  bear_flower
Your studio spaces are fabulous!!  So neat and organized!!  Patty, the two desk thing is exactly what I'm going for.  One space for bears and one space for mixed media.  Mohair in the glue is just not working for me!  Ha!

Laura Lynn,  bear_flower
I see a sense of organization in there!!  You are much braver than I to post a picture in the midst of reorganization.  You get a gold star for the day!!!  bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Laura,

I'm remembering your 4 'girls' as particularly long-legged ones, but which one is the Super Dog who can hop up into the cage/kennel stacked on top of the other one???

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Ever since the Calgary Bear Show I have been cleaning up my mess....which by then was on every conceivable surface of floor, tables, chairs..etc... "someone" even commented on how our house was beginning to resemble a craft "storage facility" more than it did our house.   So... that same "someone" was more than happy to help me get and assemble a few IKEA purchases in order to keep all my "stuff" in one room.  Here is my new craft space... it used to be a little used 10 X 12 sitting room.  Think I am just gonna admire the "shiny-ness" of it all for a few days...not move anything in there.  A lot of it will stay on shelves in a walk-in closet between this room and the bedroom...so it could conceivably stay pretty tidy. Yeh...right....     My_craft_room_Aug_2007_.smalljpg_009.jpgThe new rolling cabinet will hold and hide all sorts of stuff... love it. The desk has space... and...my new display case holds all the dolls.   Wheee......My_craft_room_small_Aug_2007_.jpg_005.jpg  My_craft_room_Aug_2007_small_.jpg_016.jpg  My_craft_room_Aug_2007_small.jpg_017.jpg

Nicholasville, KY
Website

rkr4cds wrote:

Laura,

I'm remembering your 4 'girls' as particularly long-legged ones, but which one is the Super Dog who can hop up into the cage/kennel stacked on top of the other one???

Bobbie they ALL can except now Isis our miracle puppy.  She lost some of the strength in her rear legs after her accident.  We call those crates "The Penthouse" and those are the coveted spots believe it or not!

Whippets may be medium sized dogs but man can they jump!  They must have springs in their legs.  We have a 6' tall wood fence so they can't get out of the yard.  If it was chain link they could see something on the other side to make them want to jump it.

Veronica your new space looks so clean and pretty!

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA
rkr4cds wrote:

Patty, I can't believe it!
Do you really sew all the way over there squooshed into that left-hand corner? With all of the lovely light coming in? And 2 table/workspaces to get you elbows really flying out there while swinging body parts under the needle?  I'd be planted right into the middle of the window.

Curious: How many have their computer in what's considered your main workroom?

Bobbie,  I used to have my laptop on the desk in front of the window.  Since my laptop screen died, I've had to move my computer station elsewhere.  I haven't rearranged things since then.

But . . . I have a very old portable Singer that I use to sew bears.  I usually set it up upstairs (my workspace is in the walk-out basement) on the kitchen table in front of the window that overlooks the lake.  I use my downstairs sewing machine to sew clothes and home dec stuff.  I will be moving it onto the desk if I don't get a new computer right away.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Veronica,
I love the IKEA stuff!!!  I saved their catalog that came in the mail because I was drooling over those cabinets where you have your dolls.  Great looking and affordable.  My kind of stuff!

Anyway, I love all the pieces you picked out.  What a perfect place to work!

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

workspace.jpgLove everyone's pictures!

This is my little work space in the corner of the spare room, more of a storage place really - I don't actually sit there and sew (I always sew in the lounge room)

I have a little photo tent set up there for photographing my little ones.

p.s.  Lisa, I love IKEA stuff too - my desk in the pic is from IKEA and it's fantastic!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Your photo tent is so clever catherine.
Shelli would it possible if we could see inside your photostudio wardrobe?
Does anyone else have photo studio pics?
Wendy
PS: My upset tummy and I are off to reorganise my work room. Who says my priorities are skewwiff. hehe

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

You lot have so inspired me, I just have a few boxes that are under the eave of the stairs in the living room but I am definitely going to organise my self, now first...........a cup of tea perhaps.................planning thats the key :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Veronica, love your IKEA stuff too.  It's gorgeous!  They make amazingly high quality stuff, for furniture you can put together yourself from a box.  If I had the spending money of course I'd love to have solid wood preassembled stuff delivered and set up in my home.  But I'd rather take my family on vacation and buy at IKEA instead because their stuff just looks so darn good.

Catherine, you are a bin woman like me.  I'm all about the plastic bins.  Love your neat work space!

LL, you ARE brave to post that mess, but I can tell it's a mess with a plan.  Be sure to update us on the outcome of your re-org when you get finished.  There's something so cleansing about getting back in touch with where everything is, isn't there?  Have fun with it!

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

OK, after spending ages drooling over everyones workrooms I have finally had enough of working in a tiny corner of the kitchen. I have mohair stored all over the house and stuffing in the shed, All of my stuff is so spread out and i hate it. So I have spent all day today reorganizing the whole of the upstairs of the house and clearing out the spare room which was used as a dressing room. I have now got a room empty. Yippppeeeee bear_grin  bear_grin  I have even gone and bought a work surface and shelfs all ready to be put in tomorrow by my long suffering husband bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle
So as soon as i am sorted I will post some pic's. :photo:  I am just so excited  bear_thumb  :dance:  :dance:

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Go Chloe Go :dance:
How envious a spare room, now how big is my stupid bathroom , oh yeah 12 foot by 12 foot!!!!

UMMMMMMM partition wall, new doorway, move radiator, electrics, lighting zzzzzzzzzzzzz sorry dreaming again :crackup:

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I am in Heaven looking at all those work stations! But I don't think anyone can beat mine!  :crackup:

andreas_005.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Richy, you've got to EARN those workrooms.  Wait til you're a crepey and grey petrified midlife fossil like I am.  You'll have space... and the mortgage, homeowner's insurance, and lawn-care BS to go with it.

PS  Love your kitty picture. bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

WOW!!!

Hats off to Shelli

Thats one of the most organized spaces I've seen!

Mine is overpacked without enough storage space....I wouldn't have said that a year ago....i didn't think I could use up the space!

We have a guest cottage that will be turned into a BIG studio, hmmm, soon or not?

in the meantime, I am grateful for Sterilite see through totes....so that I can find fabric without o-pening everything.....

2 years ago I had room to spare-now?  I am back to standing room only.....But, boy do I love having supplies!

Shelli your room is great, and i am impressed, given all the various things you create, along with 4-5 gentlemen living in the same home, that you are able to do all that you do.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I love looking at everyone's workspaces!!! They are all so creative and organized.

Shelli, there is an artist you have a link to on your blog who as an amazing studio so full of supplies and art to look at, i'd love to spend all day! Too bad we can't all come visit one another's studios in person. What a grand "show and tell" that would be!!!

I love my studio. It has three work stations, and loads of storage and display space. I am also particularly proud of it as I designed the built-in parts and installed them myself. (Hubby Sean helped a little, but he's really not all that handy.) BUT it is missing one important ingredient, and I am envious that I see it in all of your workspaces---windows with views and natural light!!! It has been a great improvement to have all of my stuff in one place rather than scattered throughout the house like it was before we made my room in the basement, so I can't complain really. Besides, I can always do hand-work on our new screen porch when I need the light and views!
Here are some pics.
Studio1.JPG
Studio3.JPG
Studio4.JPG
There are open shelves behind both of the tall cabinets and inside the cabinets are those clear stacking drawer bins.
Studio5.JPG
My mohair hangs in a "closet" under the stairs.
Studio2.JPG
Check out the Teddy knobs on my cabinets--cheeky, I know but they make me happy!

And here is my "summer studio"!
IMG_4556.JPG

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Now this is a First, Tami - for me. I've never seen a studio with 2 sewing machines!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shel - (Love that canvas tote bag hanging next to your photo closet that says Maine Teddy Bear Show... great graphic!!!)  I've been cleaning and reorganizing my studio ever since you started this thread! I've gotten no bears made and it's all your fault!  bear_tongue  bear_laugh  :hug:  But boy, does it feel good to have all my paperwork and odds and ends that have just been piling up finally in order... almost. By the end of the day today I should be ready to get back to work. Hubby has been away this weekend (again) so I've been able to just keep at my studio w/o having to cook and clean after him. Or be asked what I hammering into the wall, etc.  bear_whistle

Tami - you'll cringe when you see the deep piles of mohair stacked in my closet. The idea of hanging them sounds wonderful as I'm dreading the creases the pieces on the bottom of the piles are going to have. And I'm envious of your porch.... I've been wanting one for 3 years now....

Laura - How's it going? Got some 'after the storm' photos for us?? bear_grin  :photo:

Everyone's studios or work spaces offer inspiration in one way or another. It's been so much fun to see them. I always love this topic!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh no...I can't close my mouth.... bear_grin I am so shock again.  bear_wacko  you all have wonderful working space !!!  bear_wub
Currently I have no working space for me .....but I am working on it.  bear_tongue

Milford Ohio
rkr4cds wrote:

Now this is a First, Tami - for me. I've never seen a studio with 2 sewing machines!!!

Bobbie, when my sewing machine (the White in the brown table) was not working my Mom gave me hers which was the one I learned on. I thought it would be nice to have two so that when one was getting cleaned etc. I'd have a backup. But now I love the one Mom gave me , it's all I use, and I wish I had a cabinet/table for it. Then my other table big could be just for cutting and stuff, and the sewing machine I actually use would be right there under the thread racks and sewing stuff. That would make more sense!!

Daphne, I did just what you did! I ready Shelli's thread and decided I should clean up my studio so I could post photos!! I'll be checking back to see yours and Laura's.

Marie, it's nice to hear from you!!! I love your little bear on the left in your avitar photo! Darling!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I proudly feature my Maine Teddy bag, Daph, but not because of the FABULOUS graphic on it, but because it reminds me of my friend Daphne!  It's harder to see but under the paper cutter there's also a beige bag with some brown printing on it.  That's actually the shape of Africa and is a bag that Lynette (Fred-I-Bear) sent to me a while back.  I also have little gifties from Mindy (something I won in a little contest she had at the TB&F site) and Judi (a pretty woodcarved nametag) hanging on my desk, plus all my special critters from Dilu and Sue Ann and Denise Purrington and Wanda Carson  right there near me for inspiration.

Tami, your workspace is DIVINE.  Love it.  So neat and pretty.  I'm in love with builtins.  And I ADORE your enclosed porch.  Honestly, that's my dream room, right there.  Also, I wish I had a basement.  I could go nuts with one!  I like how they smell.  Kinda musty and cold.  My relatives in Wisconsin have them.  Almost nobody in Cali has them.  Just one more place for the earthquakes to knock the houses into, I guess... and no need to avoid tornadoes here!

Milford Ohio

Wonderful< Chloe!!!  :dance:  :dance: I'm dancing with you!! I felt the same way when we did mine last year.
I love rooms with angled ceilings!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Finally cleaned up!

Wow... just LOVE all the photos!!   I have a few more things I want to do, but at least I can work in here again!

Tami I love your studio!  So organized and spacious!  Mine is kinda cramped, but I wouldn't have it any other way because there is no other place for my Girls crates - and I NEED my Girls!  Chloe love your new workspace!  I also love seeing all your bears like that.  I had no idea how big they really ARE! 

I have the larger pics on flickr here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauralynn/ … 554553005/
but here are some smaller copies!

1173318411_674b1f53d8.jpg

1173318609_f895201cc1.jpg

1174176830_197361ecf4_o.jpg

ht[img]tp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1433/1174177330_e731849fac.jpg[/img]

1173319273_5765b29c2e.jpg

1173318219_2f2d186c2b.jpg

1173319655_12fb64a905.jpg

Pages:

Board footer