Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I'll go first;

I made a 3 incher and plucked out most of the face hair so that I could do some shading.  Wow, it isn't has scary or hard as I thought- and it makes A HUGE DIFFERANCE.  Thank you everyone- if you hadn't told us what and how you do it and then shared pictures I might never have had the fun of learning this new technique. 

Too cool..

Now I need to make a slightly bigger guy and try it again

Dilu

kimkc Australia

I've always been too scared to do shading. Would love to give it a go...

Oh Kim, you gotta-  It really changes everything.  I just kinda held the little fella and studied him and then started paining.  I could have done more.  So as soon as his big brother is done I'll try again.

Try it....you'l like it!

Dilu

kimkc Australia

Hmmm, ok, perhaps on my next ted i shall! I'm going to try my hand at designing this weekend at the Jennifer Laing workshop. I don't expect that ted to be perfect, so perhaps i'll find it easier to shade on him/her!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

If you use oils to shade you can get incredible control, and very sheer layers, by using a DRY BRUSH technique.  Am I starting to repeat myself and bore people yet?  Just load your brush lightly and then wipe, wipe, WIPE until you don't think there's any paint left on the dang brush at all.  It will be just enough to start you off with a wash of color.  Keep on layering it until you get where you want to be, even adding white or cream if you get too dark or want some highlight, and you will see just how simple it really is.

If you're using acrylics, maybe someone else here has some technique suggestions for loading the brush and applying the paint...?

For sure, in either case, work slowly in sheer, light layers, and always brush through with a dry stiff paintbrush or wire brush when you're done, so you get rid of any "crispy-crunchy" feel the paint might have left behind.  If you use oils and work sheer enough, tho, there won't be any of that at all.  Just a wonderful layer of tint!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli, as I started reading this thread I thought - "Oh yeah, someone posted something about paints and what and how to use them. I"ll never find that post though." So - REPEAT AWAY my dear!!! Thanks! Your description makes it sound not so scary if you can add color in baby steps.

Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!!  I was just about to say what Daphne said! bear_laugh

Absolutely! I am about to spend hours looking for the POST that discusses the type of polymer clay that I think Shelli uses for noses-
It could take hours

Why oh Why didn't I print it up when I had it.....

Please repeat the good stuff

Dilu

Board footer