Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I see this so often on ebay...."Straw filled" teddy bear.  These words are used over and over in old teddy bear listings. :teddybear:

I live on a dairy farm.  Have any of you ever felt actual straw?  Straw is the stalks that are left over after harvesting oats.  This would never work to stuff a teddy bear.  :doh: If you ever played in a pile of straw you could get splinters.  It does smell great though...and it's very pretty.  I think what people are referring to is excelsior, often called "wood wool", not straw.

Also, straw very quickly turns to dust after stepping on it, or handling it a  few times.

Excelsior could could to saw dust but it would take a very very long time for it to break down.

HHHHHHMMMMMMM.........

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I agree Judi,live in the country near many farms and my husband worked ona dairy farm for years.I think you are correct in thinking they must mean excelsior.  bear_cool  Oh since we are talking diary cows,I keep meaning to mention how much I loved the cow you made that was in the TB&F a while back,at least I think it was TB&F unless it was TB review) anyway loved the photo of you and your adorable cow.I had wished at the time that I could make such an awesome cow for my husbands employer and wife as they are the dearest people.  bear_wub   bear_laugh

Hugs,Shari.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It's that horrid stuff that carnival bears are filled with. It's non-cuddly and noisy.
I also spent a childhood in the country.  Straw certainly smells nice but awfully prickly!! Matilda :dance:

Pipa UK

Oh ye i've felt and played in straw (dont ask)  :lol:
wouldn't want a bear filled with it unless he was a scarecrow bear_happy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Okay Pipa, we won't ask. :twisted: he he he

Matilda, it sure is prickly and you can get some nasty splinters too. :(

Shari,
That cow is "Mariah The Dairy Queen".  She was in TB abd F in an article about what bear artists do when they are not making bears.  I was thrilled they put her picture in.  I also made the throne that she sits on.  Also, she is wearing the earrings I wore when I got married.  She now reins high on a plant shelf overlooking our kitchen and living room. bear_original  She is not filled with staw, but she'd like to nibble on some. :dance:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Judi. i'd love to see her......

Pipa UK

hee hee  bear_laugh Nah i grew up around straw fields, played on the bales of hay as a kid many a times. jumped in piles of straw and all sorts so i know how scratchy and rough that stuff is LOL!

Judi wrote:

Okay Pipa, we won't ask. :twisted: he he he

Matilda, it sure is prickly and you can get some nasty splinters too. :(

Shari,
That cow is "Mariah The Dairy Queen".  She was in TB abd F in an article about what bear artists do when they are not making bears.  I was thrilled they put her picture in.  I also made the throne that she sits on.  Also, she is wearing the earrings I wore when I got married.  She now reins high on a plant shelf overlooking our kitchen and living room. bear_original  She is not filled with staw, but she'd like to nibble on some. :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Clare I will have to take a picture of her.  Silly on me...I don't even have her on my website.  She is high on a shelf so I will have to stand on a chair  bear_thumb

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Yes please do Judi,the girls will love her!

Hugs,Shari.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:pray: Pleeeeeze, Judi,

I love cows. Can't keep my hands off their velvety muzzles.

We just spent the weekend in New Brunswick . . . lovely place. We visited a reconstructed 18thC village complete with animals. I had a nice chat with the sheep and horses, but the cows seemed a bit distant, until I read the plaque on their pen--oxen, not cows. Duh  :doh:

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

My brother won a coloring contest one year and the big bunny (probably 6 feet tall) was full of straw - and like other said, it was very prickly and crunchy!  yuck! when I think of things filled with straw I think of "cheapness"

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I had to repair an old old bear filled with straw. The poor guy's foot was dangling by a thread. The straw was so dry and brittle that it broke at the ankle and the moahir was so old it tore away. He's as good as new now but seeing his insides made me wonder why on earth anyone ever chose STRAW to stuff with.  :doh:

Board footer