Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I am just sorta curious, how many of you have built your own websites?  Or have you had someone do them for you?  I just spent the past two weeks doin mine, and I just got it published.  (Doesn't have anything for sale on it quite yet, probably tomorrow if I can move my poor achy hand that looks like a claw from being wrapped around the mouse that long!)  I've never done anything like it before and I know it will need lots of tweaking and adjustments.  I am still feelin proud since it's a first time thing and I spent SO many hours on the graphics and concept of it. 

I would just like to hear about yours and how they came to be.

Thanks, Kelly

scruffiebears Posts: 318
Website

Hi,
I created my own the easy way through a company called Homestead. You download their software and either use a template or design your own. I did this after many many months struggling with doing my own. I can say homestead is so easy even I could do it and Im not vry hot when it comes to computers.

Hugs
Susan

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Yep cheated here too I used freewebs.  You can either build your own or use a template.  I opted for the template.

Kelly Blondheart

Oh sure, why didn't I ask this 2 weeks ago!  bear_tongue  Actually I am glad I did it this way....I think....I am so tired I don't honestly know.  I am fairly pleased with the results though.  I still have a lot of content to add.  But first.....sleep....

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I used frontpage and built my own. Your right it was exhausting but definately a learning experiance. I am still tweaking mine all the time AND still learning.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yup, i made mine. i used photoshop and dreamweaver. It was great to learn to do and it's always best to have a website without advertising and do be able to do the updates yourself.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I did mine myself using Coffee Cup's Visual Site Designer.  I do a lot of graphics first in Photoshop and insert them with VSD.  I also use a form building program from Coffee Cup for things like my Mailing List signup. 

I'm super overdue for an update in both look and content on my site and it's on this week's to-do list!  Must be that time of year.

Congrats on getting your site done, Kelly.  It's no easy task, no matter HOW you do it, and definitely something to be proud of!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

bear_thumb Kelly!
Beautiful! Congratulations  :clap:  I know how difficult it is to learn how to manage and build your own site. O.K. probably I'm older than you, but I found that learning to design my own website was one of the most difficult projects I've ever attempted  bear_wacko  BUt it's so rewarding! Now I can change my site anytime by myself and I'm even starting to learn how to write html code, skipping my Adobe Live Program (But I'm very thankful for the special tricks the program offers). Persevere it's worth it bear_original
Karen

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi Kelly, 

I checked out your website and you did a terrific job.   

I did my own website using Photoshop and Dreamweaver. It took me a few weeks also and isn't very fancy. My site is in a desperate need of a makeover. One of these days I will find the time.

Kelly Blondheart

Thanks guys!  I have been adding content slowly today, I want to have everything else up before I add bears for sale.  I spose that's backward, but I just.....need to do it that way. 

Karen: I doubt you're much older than me, I looked at your pic.  (I am 44, I just look young cause I have no stress!  :crackup: Kidding!!!)

I have been learning code from a friend for a couple months.

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

I built both of my websites using Frontpage, but I started with a basic template to get me started and then customised colours and backgrounds and added text and graphics etc....

Congratulations on your website Kelly, you did a great job!  bear_thumb

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Well done Kelly!

Websites do tend to take a long time.  I make them all the time at work so they aren't really an enjoyable experience for me anymore.  More of a hassle than anything!  It is however, much more satisfying when the work is for yourself.  I haven't bothered to make one for myself because frankly...I'm not that interesting and my bears are never for sale.  Mostly dust collectors and gifts for my most loved ones.  Generally I'd use Dreamweaver to create them because it gives so much freedom.  Graphics would be done in either Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and the layouts sometimes come together in InDesign.

So I can relate to all the time it's taken you!  I just hope you're not like me, and gets sick of it as soon as its done and want to do a complete rehaul!  (another reason why I don't bother with myself, I am far too fussy a client!!)

Kelly Blondheart

It's done........it's done!!!  *Runs around like her britches are on fire*  IT'S DONEEEEEE!

My hubby can have clean laundry again, he will be so thrilled. :dance:

Erin I laughed when you said you aren't that interesting, I am sure you're quite interesting!  But yes, I will want to redo it many times I am sure.

tinybear-dk TinyBear
Denmark

You have done a great job with your website Kelly.  :clap:

I have built my own by using frontpage.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I use Frontpage 2003 and but have been using Frontpage since it was first released in 1997.  I'm disappointed to learn that they (Microsoft) will be discontinuing it.  I don't know if I'm going to buy the replacement or switch to something else!  So thanks for starting this thread.  I've been curious as to what everyone else uses.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Lisa -
I saw the replacement program at Staples the other day, I just can't remember what it is called.

Kelly -
I use homestead to create and maintin our web sites.  The benefits and features outweigh the time it would take me to do everything on my own.  There are somethings that I don't like, but for now the web sites are basically image sites and not really stores.  It works for me.

Shelli -
I tried coffee cup and I really liked the program.  I just need to take the time and buy it.  I used the trial verison to make some auction templates for mom and it was easy to use.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Kelly, your website looks great, and good for you for doing it yourself!!

mumka Posts: 80
Website

Your website is really nice, Kelly! I like the old style it has, and you've made it all by yourself! I'm sure you are very proud of it bear_original (I still don't have my own will to spend so much time to make a website and keep it in live all the time X))

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Kelly you have done a great job on your website,  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: I have to redo my own and not looking forward to it.  bear_sad  bear_sad

Kelly Blondheart

Thank you ladies, I am feeling proud AND relieved that it's done and I can go finish some bears now!  As hard as it was, it really was fun to put it together because I look upon it as just another artistic endeavor really.

Sammybeardog Hobart Bears
Ferndale, Michigan

Very nice, job well done.

Karen

nettie scotland
Website

My first one years and years ago was with front page and I remember having computer rage.About eight years ago I built one in a day using software called netobjects.It was just soo easy I just keep mine simple as I really dont enjoy or have the time to be fancy.Your site is easy to navigate Kely which I think is the most important thing.I cant be doing with sites where you spend ages trying to find the stuff for sale.I always thought I would add lots of stuff to mine but hey ho its just the same as it was the day I built it.I can update it in about ten minutes which is what I love about doing it yourself.

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

I cheated and used two open source CMS systems, Gallery 2, http://gallery.menalto.com/, for the image gallery, and Word Press, http://www.wordpress.org, for my blogging/news section. I custom designed my WordPress theme (which I want to redo) quite quickly, since it's mostly just a matter of writing .CSS stuff, or stealing ideas from other people's themes and then blending them seamlessly. By the time I got to installing Gallery, though, I didn't have the time, and had a programmer savvy friend of mine edit the color pack (essentially a .CSS) to match the WP implementation. She said it took her more time to pick better colors than it did for her to do the Gallery edit, but she's familiar with the source code.

Gallery took me about an hour to install, and is surprisingly functional for open source software. It takes me seconds to update the site with new images, thanks to their Gallery Remote program, which basically just lets me drag-and-drop.

As a photographer, I'm particularly happy with the half dozen print-on-demand shopping cart programs that have pre-built plugins. I don't know if there's code to let you sell non-image items. For that, I'd suggest using something like OS Commerce. Again, all you have to do is skin it to your taste, which is MUCH easier than coding from scratch, and more professional looking to boot.

Board footer