Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Do you ever get tired of seeing these messages asking for your expertise?  :)

So...I got adventureous today and tried some eyelids using your wonderful instructions.  After a couple attempts I finally got them the way I want or close to anyway...however no matter how little glue I used I seem to have it coming out from under the lids...my poor little bear has eye boogers.  I've tried carefully picking at it and I think I made it worse now it's kinda white flakey looking.  Any suggestions...

I'm afraid of scratching the glass eye or the leather cording?

Anyone else run into this problem or am I just inept with a superglue bottle?

Thanks...

Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantell, what kind of glue are you using?

Did you sculpt the eye sockets?

I'm not Shelli- just nosey  bear_grin bear_grin

bear_tongue

Willamette Valley Oregon

I used Gel Superglue which is what Shelli said she used in her earlier posting...and no I didn't sculpt the eye sockets...still working on that technique.   I'm actually quite happy with the way they came out considering it was the first attempt...I just now have white eye boogies on my dark brown bear.  Looks like he's had a good case of pink eye or been to see my eye doctor :)

And yes...nosey is endearing Dilu...you goof!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

hmmm... sorry cant help, I never had this problem but I also dont use the gel type... dont think that has anything to do with it though....

Deb Upstate New York

Oh Shantell ~ I've been fighting beginners eyelid curse myself.  Have struggled for a week with this bear and finally, am approaching a good end.  I used a toothpick to flake off the white stuff ... chewed it a little first.  Figured it would be better than digging with a needle.
  d035.gif

Deb Upstate New York
Dilu wrote:

I'm not Shelli- just nosey  bear_grin bear_grin

:P

Well thank God!  I mean, we already have a Shelli, and we need a Dilu, so it's very good you're Dilu and not another Shelli.  By the way ... everyone has been missing you a lot.  Hope your project is going well so you don't have to depart again for so long.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Hey...I may have sorta solved my immediate problem.  I carefully got the glue off the eyes and the leather...then I took some of my oil paints I bought for highlighting and with a teeny tiny brush carefully touched up the leather...WAHLAAAAAAAA!!!  Can't even tell...

So...it's not perfect...but it's start...

So...Shelli, Judi, Ms. Basta...and all you other eyelid people...how do YOU keep from getting glue where you don't want it?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think you can get a solvent for Superglue? I use Hi-tack multipurpose glue for all my beary stickings...and it's very strong and you can just pull any blobs off easily afterwards... eg It sticks the felt circles to glass eyes and they won't budge..

I am afraid me and Superglue are enemies since I stuck my finger and thumb together!! He-He!! I only use it to glue my nut and bolt joints now....very carefully!!!!!

Jenny

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shantell, once I had the glue came out on an eyelid. I scratched but it become white. So painted it with the marker. But you have to be careful. if you do too much paint the shine of the oils or markers make your bear's eyes cry.

Julia.
I wonder what Shelli does... but I think she is just always PERFECTLY neat. :clap:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I use "Magnetic glue"(I think that was the name...) and bought from Edinburgh but I couldn't find it today..... do they stop selling them ??
The glue is fantastic to use for eye rids, nose work and I don't know what I'm going do if I can't get them anymore !!!!!  :twisted:
However..... same as Julia said, if the glue came out I do too painted with the marker or oil. it does get white if I try scratch...  :doh:

Good luck Shantell  :hug:
Hugs/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You guys are cracking me up.  I'm not "perfectly" ANYTHING!  When it comes to eyes, I make a complete mess.

Okay, so here's the process, good, bad, or ugly.

1.)  bla bla bla... until you get to the point where the eyelids are glued down.  TRY to be neat!  But, it won't always work.   Sometimes you'll have leakage onto the eye or lid.

2.)  With leakage onto the eye...  Use a little bit of nail polish remover on a q-tip to get the glue off the eye.  It won't entirely work by itself; the remover acts more like a solvent, to loosen up and liquify the hardened superglue, so that it's easier to remove by physical force (rather than chemical means.) 

Then, take the tip of a needle, held at an angle -- I use an enormous doll sculpting needle that's about eight inches long, or a shorter, stiff one about four inches long -- and use the tip of that needle to scrape the softened glue residue off the eye.  I've never had a problem with scratching the eyes, doing it this way. 

Be careful, because if you get too enthusiastic with where you put the nail polish remover, or with your tugging and scraping, you can re-loosen the eye cording and will then need to start from square one.

3.)  Wherever the nail polish remover comes in contact with your leather cording, you will have a loss of pigment to the cording.  You can repair that with oil paint, colored pencil, acrylic, or marker.  Very easily, actually.  My leather lids always have some kind of color on them... whether it was to repair dings and scrapes, or to add accent or color or shading.

4.)  If you get the glue on the leather cording itself... that's a tougher fix.  Try NOT to do that.  It will take a bit of the leather away with it, when you pick the glue off, which is sometimes obvious.  You can repair color loss as above, but not leather loss!

Hope this helps!

PS  I do use gel SuperGlue and have found that you only need just the tinest, itty-bitty-est of dabs to do wonders, especially if you've first secured both ends of the cording, with that same glue, inside the awl holes in the head.  It does take some practice and a lot of bravery, but it's do-able.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Shelli...

I thought of  nail polish remover but was afraid it would take the shine off the eyes so I avoided it.  I'm ready for another go around...your directions were wonderful.  I did exactly what you said and they turned out pretty good for a first timer.  I might try a set with glue like Jenny suggested too...if anyone would glue their fingers together or glue themselves to the bear...it would be ME.   I'm way  excited....must the little cheeky monkey in me.  :lol:

Shantell

clare14 Country Bears
England

My eyelids, or rather the fabric around the eyelids, came out rock hard, no matter what I tried!!!  bear_grin  When I am in a calm mood (not much lately) I will try again, deep breath  :mad:

Kim, what glue do you use??

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Here's my two cents. ..... I use super glue gel,like Shelli suggests, but I do not apply it directly to the bear.  Instead I put some glue into a ceramic soap dish then use a fine point tooth pick to apply the glue.  For me, it is more precise and there is less of a chance of too much glue.  I also think with trial and error you will become familiar with how much you need to get the results you desire.

I also always have super glue remover on hand...just in case I glue myself to my bear...or worse bear_shocked

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Marie
Is the glue you are looking for Magnatac and not magnetic?
Hugs
Gail

Board footer