Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: To all you Canadian TeddyTalkers!  :hug:

The smartest thing I've ever done was to marry a man who cooks!  ;)

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I didn't know that it was Canadian Thanksgiving!!!!  Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!  It's Columbus Day here... Hey, didn't we used to get a day off of school for that?  My kids are going today? Hmmm?
Is the Canadian Thanksgiving essentially a harvest type holiday..... giving thanks for the year's bounty?  Do you eat turkey or is there some other traditional dish?  Is there a story behind it the way we have the pilgrims & Indians here?  Just curious.... I'm in need of some global enlightenment!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Deb Upstate New York

Dear Canadian Friends ~

Happy Thanksgiving Day!   :rose:

Kim ~ Yes we did.  But I have to work today ... and I'm LATE!   bear_rolleyes

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Kim,

I'm ancient enough to remember when American schools were closed on Columbus Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday and Memorial Day!

Eileen

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Happy Thanksgiving (turkey day) to all my fellow Canadian friends. Yes we do eat turkey and talk about pilgrims and Indians and bountiful harvests. I'm sad to say that my family is not having turkey and pumpkin pie (not my choice)  bear_sad  and I am  missing it very much. Hope your Thanksgiving happy,hugs,Shari.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Eileen,
  We still have Presidents' day off here.... It's a combination of Lincoln's & Washington's Birthday!  In the last school district we were in, the kids had the day off, but they had no idea why!!! I hate it when I have to find out that it is a holiday just because the furniture stores are having a sale and are advertising all over the place! 

[TV announcer voice] : "Hurry in.....it's time for the annual XYZ Furniture Store's Presidents' Day Sale!!!.... all couches are 20% off!!!!!"

I swear, sometimes I wonder if eventually kids will actually think that some of these holidays are in fact furniture based!  The town we are in now has a really active chapter of DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and they don't let    the schools forget about those holidays!!!!

Shari.... What are you guys having?  Something equally as yummy I hope!  I'm not a real big fan of pumpkin pie.... but I do expect to have it at Thanksgiving, and I do eat it!!!  I'm a sucker for tradition!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta

Wild Thyme Originals

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Happy Thanksgiving too all the other Canadians here eh !
We had family in for the turkey dinner, pumpkin & apple pies yesterday.  Yummy ! Today we all just slept in on this RAINY long weekend !  Time to build the Ark I think.  :/

Happy Columbus day to our American friends.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I swear, sometimes I wonder if eventually kids will actually think that some of these holidays are in fact furniture based!

bear_grin bear_grin I know exactly what you mean, Kim! My second daughter, aged 2, was convinced that Christmas was Sears Catalogue Day!

I'm a sucker for tradition too. I didn't realize how devoted to our few 'family' traditions my kids were until I tried to drop a few as they got older. They're 22, 25 and 28, but still want their Christmas stockings and Easter baskets. I weaned them off the baskets, but stockings are eternal!

Since Moms started going back to work in greater numbers, I think the schools dropped a lot of holidays without any complaint from parents. Here, the kids are at school on Remembrance Day, November 11, doing projects about the World Wars, often including visits from veterans.

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Happy Thanksgiving my dear Canadian friends,

You can have my share of the pumpkin pie...I absolutely hate the stuff....EW EW EW!!!

Kim, I too know what you mean...kids are out of school more for "vacation" then they are in anymore.  I don't remember all these days off when I was in school.  Thank goodness I only have one left to keep track of.

Eileen, Yes, stockings are eternal...at least in my opinion they are...I love doing the stockings almost more than then prezzies!!!

Have a great day!!!  I'm determine to put yesterday in the past and move forward...if this computer doesn't cooperate I'm taking a sledge hammer to it...too big for my scissors :)

Shantell

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Me too, Shantell . . . and I'll take that Pumpkin Pie!  :dance:

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Thanks Eileen! And a very happy Thanks Giving to you to my love! You little Canadian you!

Many Hugs Louise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Thanks, Louise!  :hug:

Actually I'm a little American 'landed immigrant' here, which means that I get TWO Thanksgivings!!  :thumbsup:

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Happy Day to all of you Canadians!!  We'll have the turkey festivities next month!  YEA!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Eileeennnnnn  I'm old enough tooo.......I loved February 2 4 day weeks in a row!

I love Pumpkin Pie- but not the traditional-ugh, mine is really basic, sugar and so on but instead of spices I use fresh ground nutmeg and all the real vanilla I can afford.  then I float pecan halves on top prior to baking.

Hmmmmm  I don't have to wait for November...... :love:

:P

I make my own vanilla extract- I take a bottle of vodka in January and then every week for about 3 months I buy and add another vanilla been cut in half.  Then I let it sit and stew.  It is very very strong vanilla- but oh so good

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

mmmm turkey! I love cranberry sauce too... the kind out of the can with the can ridges though!  LOL

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadian teddy people! 

I love pumpkin pie too - yum! 

Chrissie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_wub bear_wub I do grind my own nutmeg, but I'm going to try that vanilla-bean-in-vodka thing, Dilu. MMMMMMmmmmm  :dance:

My daughter made the pies this year. I sort of accidently ate a few of her pastry cut-out decorations  :redface:

Eileen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Happy Canadian thanksgiving to all our friends over there.
Hope that you have a fantastic day and eat lots of goodies!

Hugs
Carolyn

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I hope all you Canadian friends of mine had a wonderful Canadian thanksgiving.  :thumbsup:

Here in the UK we are an ungrateful lot no such thing as thanksgiving!  bear_sad It's about time the kids here were taught to be thankful then I could get some of that Turkey and pumpkin pie.  bear_happy  bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy bear_happy

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Thanks, all! We had a great feast over/up here. Best of all, none of it was cooked by ME  :dance: I'm sooooo stuffed. I don't think I'll ever eat again.  :/

Eileen

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

And a happy happy thanksgiving day to all from way down under , i have never had pumpkin pie FRAN

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  I've never had pumpkin pie either...I have many American friends and they have given me lots of great recipies, but I've never made it!!!  Will have to this year  :dance:  I think the idea is so wonderful...wish we had more holidays here in Australia...what do you all think???  bear_thumb

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm shocked that you don't have thanksgiving in the Uk or Australia. I just assumed it would've been the same in all english speaking countries. Shows you how much I know.
So, in UK and Australia, how many holidays do you have?? I hope you have as many as us, just different ones I guess.
Soo cool to learn about the world this way!
Heather

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Jane, I'd be happy to send some of my leftover turkey !   e010.gif  After turkey dinner, turkey sandwiches and turkey soup I run out of ideas LOL.  I hate to cook and my kids get a hoot watching me prepare the turkey.  It makes me feel nauseus dragging this limp. slimey bird with legs flopping everywhere around the kitchen.  Ugh.  I'd rather make a bear any day !  bear_smile

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_smile I don't think they go very well with cranberry sauce, Tammy!!  :P

Eileen

Board footer