Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

This is probably a dumb question because I'm sure the answer is yes... but do you think it's worth paying the 19.95 for the extra advertising on ebay?   I have never done it before - partly because most of my bears aren't selling and partly because of the exchange rate.  Do you think it will make a difference if I do?

Also...should I be altering the pricing structure on my bears - are they priced too high??  You can be honest and I won't take offence   bear_laugh

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Melissa,
I've listed a few of my bears in the featured section, it worked out costing me almost $40AU just to list and even though I had quite a lot of lookers, all the ebay sales I've made on my bears have been in an ordinary listing, I'm afraid it is just too expensive, and I won't be doing it again. I've seen people selling their bears and probably not even recouping their fees...let alone their mohair etc....which is just crazy. I usually make quite big bears but with the cost of a good quality mohair, joints, eyes, stuffing etc, and the outrageous ebay fees, it's hard to make a  profit from all the work you put into making them.
I don't know how much you put on your teddies, but there's not much use in making them to sell if you don't even recover your costs.
I know it's also a bit of advertising, so perhaps if you want to get your name out there, place a couple of bears in the featured section and use it as a little  campaign..as Gina said to me, it is cheaper advertising than buying a 1/4 page spread in a magazine.
I've also found on most accounts the second or third time around the bear will sell, I know the last large bear I sold didn't go first time in the featured section, but had a bid within a few hours when I relisted at the same price in the ordinary section.... you just have to wait for that certain buyer and sometimes it takes a couple of listings. and try to be optimistic.... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Whew! I do go on, hope some of this has been some help, and goodluck with your little teds.
:hug: :hug:
Denise.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Melissa....It's difficult one...I have done it before...You do get more lookers for sure...whether that transposes into bidders is hard to say. I have done both and not noticed much difference in the bids...

It does pull you out of the crowd...but then only on the page that you'd show up on anyway.  Like ending soonest, highest bid or whatever...you don't show up at the top of every page that's hit in your category ...which I mistakenly thought would happen....

If you don't get a good price for your bear of course it's an added expense....

Jenny

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Sorry, I didn't read the bit about your pricing.

Well, the way I look at it is this, I lose money every time I don't go to work in the salon. So I have to make my bears pay...othewise, though I love making them, I'd have to give up and go back to the salon full time. So though I don't expect to get to get anywhere near what I can earn hairdressing I won't sell my bears and my time cheaply because I value that along with the cost of materials.

It's only right and proper that the time I spend learning, researching and developing is part of the equation too.

It's down to what you feel is a fair price for what you are offering...I know that in my industry (hairdressing) prices fluctuate wildly...but in my experience people don't buy on price..they buy because they believe that the thing they are buying is the thing that they feel comfortable with, or aspire to or relate to. That is evident in the bearmaking world too..many bears are aspirational to collectors and they will save up to buy them.

Work out the cost of your bear down to the last pin include the applicable percentage of any advertising or other related expense, add what you think your time is worth and some people add profit to that too...which means that if shops come asking you aren't giving you bears away when you give discounts.

It depends if you view it as a business...which I have to do and I know several other on here do...or whether you see it as more of a hobby. But one thing is certain...you do need to start as you mean to go on with pricing.

Hope that helps!!!

Jenny

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Mel, I think the prices you put on your sweet little bears are more than reasonable.
I think ebay should be like the trading post and you only pay if you sell...it's just ridiculous the fees we pay without even a guarenteed sale.

Deb Upstate New York

Melissa ~

Good question; have been wondering that myself.  I don't have an answer though, except to say that advertising expense is always figured in to any retail product.  I was thinking of setting starting bid higher to cover the cost of the featured item cost (or whatever it's called). 

I'm still noodling this one too.  Thanks for asking.  I'll be checking in on this one.

Board footer