Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

While traveling to a craft show in the Eastern Cape we stopped over on our way home in a very very small town. It was delightful and reminded me so much of when I spent time in the Eastern Cape as a child.

We looked at a house that was very big and had lots of land but we felt it was not in a good position. We were then shown another house by the owners of the B&B we were staying at- and both hubby and myself were impressed.

We are looking at some offers and might just pack up and move away from city life. Its in the Karoo, so dry hot summers, and rather chilly winters. From the outside the house looks small but once in it was big. It has yellow wood floors, ceilings and doors. It also is on a large piece of ground and I would have to get two sheep to keep the grass short ( Can you have pet sheep ???) I could also have my own chickens and become a real farmer.
The house was built round 1920's and belongs to the grandson of one of the famous SA generals during the Boer War, so comes with lots of history.

Here are some pictures

DSC01539_1600x1200.JPG

DSC01531_1600x1200.JPG

DSC01538_1600x1200.JPG

DSC01533_1600x1200.JPG

DSC01545_1600x1200.JPG

DSC01537_1600x1200.JPG

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yup, I would move in a heart beat....I'm allergic to cities-don't really like stores....its a beautiful property, lovely area and such a cheeery color.

Is it in a small town? 
the wood is beautiful, do you know what it is called? 

And most importantly:  Is there a special large room for your studio????

good luck with your decision, its a tough one to make.

gollyhugs
dilu

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Looks like a winner to me.  We're about to pick up and move from California to Tennessee.  I think it's an exciting adventure to move to a different area.   bear_thumb  bear_thumb

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Ohhh, the chance to move to a small quiant town, sounds lovey.  The house along with the pet sheep and chicken's it sounds like a great plan!     Let us know what you decide!

Duff

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

When I turned 24 I turned my back on the city and never looked back. I moved to a small town, met my husband and moved on to the next small town. We have lived in the country on the edge of small towns for the last 20 years.
My daughters have panic attacks when we go to the city. I doubt they will ever want to live in the city, they love the country.
I say go for it!! the quiet life, it's great for your peace of mind.
The house and trees look lovely, so green!!

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
fredbear wrote:

( Can you have pet sheep ???)

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: Yes and pet goats and pet pigs and pet chooks ..... How wonderful!
Sorry Lynette, I couldn't help laughing! We plan on moving to the country in three years, when Glenn retires ..... I'd say go for it, it looks so peaceful.
Good Luck with whatever you decide ..... just do what makes you happy.

:hug:

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Oh defiantly go for it!!!!!!
I am on a few acres after being in the city, and I just love it.
Thou, we did have some pet sheep and during the night some dogs attacked them and killed them  bear_sad
But even though there is more work to do, they will have to cart me out in a box before I leave here.  bear_grin

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I think it looks wonderful, just my cup of tea bear_original  I'm sure some sheep would be very lucky to be your pets bear_original  You could grow your own veggies too  :dance:

Catherine xx

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Were it me, there would be no question.  I would be moved in a heartbeat.  I am not a city person at all.  I've done my time (in Houston), and I've even done the small towns.  Now, we're way out in the country and love it.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Move Move Move

but what about the shop? and what about airports? what about family?
Will it make your bear life a pain? though by these photos I also would move in a heart beat.

ellen ontario, canada

GO FOR IT!   in case you need encouragement!  lol
we all wait to long to do what we dream of - you only live once!  ...as far as we know!
bear_flower

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

gosh lynette it's a lovely place.. very homey and i love the backyard as you call it.. you can roam there at night and set up a small gazebo or whatever and relax there and just enjoy the starts.. bear_wub  a sheep pet would be my fiancee dream actually.. i dont mind moving to a small town but if your in a pretty deserted place, maybe need to think more.. what if you need help and since no neighbors, no one to help... its a big step... but i do enjoy the country but love the convenience of city life actually... good luck and im sure you will find the right answers soon... hope this wont stop your bear making  :pray: ...   :hug: Ming

Board footer