Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

Is there something you always wanted for Christmas.........but you never got it?

I was just reading Tami's post asking what was your favorite gift as a child and it made me recall a conversation I was having the other day with friends about the one thing we asked Santa for but never got it, for whatever reason.

One of my friends always wanted a pony.....but she lived in an apartment.
I always wanted a ......I know this will sound weird..........a Chia Pet!  Especially when they came out with the Garfield the cat one ( I used to have everything Garfeild!). I never did get one and to this day I still want one, I'm really not sure why. 
I asked my mom why Santa never brought me one and she really couldn't answer, she was surprised that he didn't bring one since he always brought me what was on my list.

So, is there something that YOU always wanted but maybe Santa just coudn't fit it in his sleigh?

AndreaM bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh that is too precious!!  I always wanted an EZ Bake Oven.  My mom never bought me one cause she said there was no way it could work.  Well let me tell you, as soon as my daughter was old enough I bought her one...and they DO work  bear_grin

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Oddly enough I always wanted a teddy bear...and I never got one.  Go figure.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I was the youngest of four children.  There was a stuffed horse on red wheels - a ride on toy.  There was always one in the Eatons catalogue and I always wanted one but never got it - they were too expensive.  My parents did their very best - there just wasn't enough money, but I think a lot of us had similar circumstances.  It was more the norm "not" to have much money than to be well off in those days, so it never seemed to be so bad.  Boy, that brings back memories!

hugs,

Brenda

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I always wanted a bike. But never asked for one, knowing that I would only be disappointed when it didnt arrive. Anyhow I bought my own bike when I was able.
And yes Brenda, it was more the norm not to have than be rich. We kids were'nt spoilt with rubbish in those days. Not like now.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

When the 1956 Eatons Christmas catalogue came out I fell in love with Punkinhead who was on the front cover and a two page spread inside of all the Punkinead themed merchandise. I really wanted a Punkinhead but don't think I ever asked for one (same thing as Brenda said!) Years later when I started collecting dolls,  I remembered Punkinhead - although no one else I knew seemed to remember him and thought and I was a bit nuts until I actually found that Eatons catalogue at an antique sale! To make a long story short, I eventually did get a Punkinhead bear, in mint condition from my husband for Christmas about 15 years ago!
The other thing I always wanted, and did ask for. but never got, was a train set because my brother would never let me touch his - but trains were for boys in those days! (Actually bears were too - girls got dolls and that was what I got every year - and loved them - still do!  bear_grin )

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I always wanted a teddy bear hamster. They were so cute! My parents looked into it but decided that because they only live a couple of years I'd get too attached and then be heartbroken quickly. Well, I suppose they were right but it might have toughened me up a bit so that when I lost my first pet as an adult I might not have behaved like a child over it!! I was so devastated! OK, this wasn't about pointing fingers at my parents. I love them dearly and they meant well.

Hm.... hubs keeps asking me what else I want for Christmas. It's not too late for a teddy bear hamster, is it? I bet it'll entertain the dogs quite nicely!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Andrea... this is for you:
garfieldchia.jpg

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I have two when I was a baby, I was given a blue rabbit and an orange teddy bear.  I wanted another bear.  Boy did I make up for that! bear_grin   The last few years I've been saving for a house.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I wanted a Winnie the Pooh bear with the red shirt and "Pooh" embroidered on the front.

AndreaM Drea's Bears
Ontario

bear_smile  :dance:  :dance:  bear_smile

THANK YOU DAPHNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the best Christmas gift a girl could ever want! :D. I used to want a teddybear hampster too, but a lot of my friends had them when I was growing up so I just went over and played with theirs.

Laura Lynn: I loved my EZ bake oven when I was a kid, I remember getting it and being afraid to use it at first incase I burned the housedown..........yeah with a light blub, I had an over active imagination as a kid I guess.

Kelly:  How sad that you were never given a teddybear  bear_sad  I guess you're making up for that now! bear_original

Brenda : I remember looking through the Eaton's catalogues, what wonderful toys they had and well made too!  I'm sorry you didn't get your horse. bear_sad  We didn't have much money growing up either and I would never ask for much usually a stuffed animal was all I wanted, but I was lucky to have and aunt and uncle that both were management at Simpson's in Toronto.

Matilda: You sound like you were a very logically thinking child!  I'm glad you eventually bought your own bike!

Hey Jenn: I have a blue rabbit too tah was an easter gift she had daisies on her head!  I still have her!  I hope Santa can fit your new house in his pack this year!

Jennifer:  Did you ever get a Winne the Pooh?

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! 
A big thank you to Daphne for the Garfeild Chia Pet!!

Big hugs, and happy holidays!

AndreaM :hug:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Strawberry Shortcake! In 1981-1983, Strawberry Shortcake was the only thing I wanted for Christmas.  My cousin who was the same age as me had them all.  I think I never got them because all the present buyers thought I was on the cusp of being too old for dolls

I remember my mum making this strawberry shortcake cushion and I thought it was going to be my Christmas present but that went to my cousin as well....I still remember watching her open it and feeling royally cheated!

A few years ago I was in a bear store and they were selling someone's doll collection.  Every doll I'd ever wanted from the 70s and 80s was there and yes there was a Strawberry Shortcake mint in box for $10.  I was just looking at it yesterday and thinking I should get rid of it but somehow I can't!!  :redface: 

Oh and I always wanted a pogo stick!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh and I always wanted a pogo stick!

Oh me too, Melissa!!! I had totally fogotten about that but I thought they looked like such fun - although I never knew anyone who had one and if they really worked like they were supposed to or not!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You are most welcome, Andrea!!!  :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Ooh I wanted a rocking horse.  Just like in a story I had read.
My niece who lived with us ended up getting one and for the longest time I used to pretend he was mine although I was never allowed to get on.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Edie, my friend had a pogo stick and they are a blast.  We used to use it all the time, although they are a bit hard to get used to balancing and bouncing at the same time.  I was lucky and was used to be able to walking with stilts, so I had no difficulty with the balance.  I had forgotten about that silly pogo stick and how much fun it was - thanks for this thread, Andrea!

hugs,

Brenda

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website
AndreaM wrote:

Jennifer:  Did you ever get a Winne the Pooh?

Yes, I bought one when I was 30. I was pregnant and bought it to put in my daughters room. She never grew attached to it and let me have it back when she was about 8. It sits on a dresser next to my bed. I love that thing! bear_tongue

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Haha, Andrea, I loved Garfield too!!!  I loved the movie they put out not so long ago lol  I still have my stuffed toys, and comic books  bear_tongue

I have to say, we were never hard up on toys...me and my sisters basically got whatever we wanted, funnily enough we weren't spoiled though lol...but...I remember that I did want a baby alive doll, and a teddy ruxpin and one of those rub a dub doggies that you took into the bath...all these things I wanted and my little sister got them instead!  boo hoo!!  I didn't care, but its just something I remember now and you think huh?!?  and a care bear!  I wanted one...my sister got one when she was little, maybe 3, and by that time, I was too old (8) for one...no way I say!!  Never too old, but I remember being told and thinking it too :(

Melissa, I have nearly the whole set, house and all of SSC, tehe...you shouldve been my friend, I would have let you play...as long as you were really gentle haha.  I feel so sorry for you and your mean mum giving your cousin the cushion lol.  I'm joking Melissa's mum  bear_tongue

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

I wish I could say that I wished for something but I never remember a christmas gift as a child or adolente, I would see homes decorated and children with gifts playing in christmas day with their things.Kids would say to me ask Santa he'll brings you anything you ask him for,and they would tell me He brought me what I asked for) So... every christmas I would ask him to bring me my mom, bear_original But Santa never brought her to us (me and my twing) and lost hope through the years :hug: But Santa brought me a loving wonderful,husband,and 7 children,12 grandchildren and a loving mother in law and now I have many Santas all year through. :hug:  :hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Yes this was a very unrealistic thing to wish and want for Christmas, well I was very very young and didn't really understand back then!!! :doh:

A real horse of course.   Yes my wish did eventually come true as I was much much older and wiser, one that could eventually look after one without needing parents to assist me look after a horse.  bear_original

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Andrea, I still have mine as well!  I have since I was two days old.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

What a nice thread and great stories.   I always wanted a bike but never got one as my Mum always said I would get in an accident on it and then she wouldn't have me.  I had to be content to hire them for 2 weeks when we went to a holiday park.

Pauline

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I've wanted a 1930s style rectangular watch since high school and never gotten it, either from "Santa" or for myself. Maybe this year...

When I was a kid, I used to tear pages of bedroom furniture out of the Sears catalog and tell my mom I wanted coordinated bedroom furniture. She redecorated my room for me numerous times, but I never did get a "bedroom suite." As an adult, I still have mismatched, hand-me-down bedroom furniture, even though the rest of the house is neatly coordinated. It seems silly to spend so much money on a room the world never sees, but I see it, so one of these days I'll decide what I want and decorate to the nines. In the meantime, I enjoy looking at decorating magazines and dreaming!

Mindy

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I had 2 teddy bear hamsters and worked in a pet store that sold them. If it makes you feel better they are kind of crazy. I had one that I called Arnie. He would run in his wheel so much that he became all buff and muscular! LOL

I always wanted a soft Gizmo. I had a plastic one but that was it. So my 1st ebay purchase was one........so cute

gizmo.jpg

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I always wanted a horse of my own growing up.......but we lived in town and my parents truly couldn't afford one for me.  I can remember asking for one all through the year, not just at Christmas.  I even went so far to leave notes on my mom's pillow begging for a horse!  I found out as an adult that they almost bought me one and checked into boarding it with some people close to town who had horses.....it was way too expensive so they couldn't do it in the end.  But......did I ever make up it later!!  As an adult, I learned all I could about riding, horse care, and breeding.  I eventually owned a wonderful gelding that I rode often as well as several brood mares.......I raised Arabian-cross horses and at one point actually had 12 in residence that were all mine.  bear_grin  I sure did love the babies......I absolutely loved training the foals. bear_wub   Well, I am past the stage of riding and breeding the horses.....partly due to physically being unable to do it any longer and also because I had come to the realization that there are already more horses in the world than good homes for them.....same as for all the homeless cats and dogs.  I do still have my two favorite brood mares though, and will keep them until they cross the rainbow bridge.  I love the girls to pieces........and it shows as they are spoiled rotten! bear_wub

Board footer