Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

DSC01020.JPG

The Help Advisors were sitting around wondering what off-teddy uses we could come up with for  mohair....And what would be fun or unusual kinds of items that could be made with mohair.

Sue Ann makes kittytoys and kittybeds, Dilu makes doll clothing and tea cozies and wants a queen-sized mohair blanket lined with flannel.  Shelli is dreaming of mohair jammies and then someone had the brilliant idea that we could actually make a challenge out of it.  (Yes we know Shelli resigned, but we can't give her up yet.....it's a process, she's breaking us in gently. ) bear_wub

Which Teddytalker can come up with the most romantic, the most versatile, the most amusing, the most useful, the best use of those wonderful 1/4 yards we love to get...

Which one of you creative artists is ready to think outside the teddy box and create the most innovative Off-Teddy use of mohair?

Any Talker-takers???  Any one of you want to whip up something to share?  We all love mohair so lets see some ideas that we can all have some fun with using our favorite fabric!

Here's Dilu's first porcelain doll, who thinks she is going to a HannahMontana concert.....Unfortunately porcelain girlikins are as silly as gollygirlikins.....No way she is getting out of the house with a bare tummy showing!

So we are waiting to see what you gals and guys can come up with......

DSC01022.JPGDSC01019.JPGThere are so many ways to use mohair and it is such an easy fabric to work with-I am planning on taking a blazer and removing the collar and using the removed collar as the backing and pattern for a mohair collar.  Have any of you tried this?

This little girl thinks she is going out to party....

DSC01027.JPGDSC01030.JPGDilu drinks tea and so has collected quite a few teapots....Doesn't use them because the tea gets too cool:  Therefore she thought a teacozy might help-and also protect the pots from the cats.....or if not that, the cats from the pots flying at them.....

this lucious mohair is from Intercal-I've quite forgotten the numbers, but it is so soft and luxerious and a delicate shade of lavendar....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've made kitty toys from mohair scraps for quite some time, so when we started thinking about other uses for mohair - well - of course, a kitty BED was the first thing I thought of.  So, here's my first attempt.  Thought I'd try a cushion/pillow type bed next time using all mohair.  And if you want to go the distance and REALLY please your little feline . . . make him or her some matching toys.
kitty_bed_for_challenge.jpg  kitty_bed_for_challenge_closeup.jpg

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I line the inside of my mocasins with mohair scraps (very toasty warm!!).... but after all those wonderful pictures above I don't think you want to see the inside of my shoes!!
:crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Great idea, Daphne . . . your toesies would stay toasty all the time!   bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

What a great idea Daphne!  Such a good one I am going to try it tomarrow on my winter boots....

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sue Ann, that is an amazing cat bed. I can't believe how good it looks.........you have real sewing talent.

I will try and think of something kid friendly that uses mohair.........this could be fun.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Dilu hon, I don't know about the challenge as yet - , but I want to say how lovely your doll is! She is beautiful! How tall is she? Her outfit is just wonderful. You did a beautiful job on her painting face. And your photos are great too! The tea-cozy – “is just too much!” That is so cool – I mean warm. LOL You are a so clever!  :hug:

SueAnn, I have a dog here who loves her couch…..Could you make her one of your wonderful dog beds?

lacey1.jpg

lacey2.jpg

laceytong.jpg

Or – maybe you could make one for both of these couch potatoes??

laceyrodney.jpg

That is how I found my hubby after a long days of work- "work clothes and all", Thank goodness it is the dog sofa they are cuddling on, and Lacey was not willing to give up her couch.

I would love to replace this couch with a beautiful hand made doggy bed.  bear_original  bear_whistle

hugs kassie

Thanks Kassie :hug:  back atcha BestOregonBud

odd this face painting business.....its fun, a very very long process, and even though she was a plaster mold, she doesn't look anything like her prototype.....I just can not, for the life of me, follow directions and have anything come out looking like the prototype. no matter how hard I try.....  :crackup:

Love Mr. R and his friend....too cute together....When you make your first reallyreallyreally big sale after your show maybe you can reupholster......course the person who does it will be blown away by the 16 yards of mohair from Intercal......on second thought maybe a really nice blanket, lined with a supper tight weave denim:  durrable, washable, hugable

that works....

i'm off to the studio if you feel like talking-Rick wont hear the new phone.....hugs hon (course then neither of us will get anything done.... bear_wacko

hugs to both of you now get back to work.....

dilu

PS Rick has an egg to box up for you-after I make a plaster of paris mold.....(don't ask) and i will remember to throw in some feathers too. bear_grin

Heather,

babikins are so tactile conscious....good idea to come up with something baby-friendly.....a car seat liner?.....A  diaper cover, easily washed, can be made to slip on and off with soft elastic, a baby onesie and hat so that the only thing showing is that darling little face, your little one will look like you have your own little bearycubbette....

As clever as YOU are I think whatever you come up with will be fabulous.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

This is a question I have been pondering recently.  Last week I was cleaning my room and looking at the scraps of mohair.  I have a tub full of teeny scraps that I cannot bring myself to get rid of.  Maybe I can get some inspiration from this challenge.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Ha I was about to post this yesterday, Mohair fairy hair!! these are my fairys with mohair hair!!![img]lilfairy.jpg[/fairybb.jpgimg]

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

I already posted this guy in the past, but I used mohair for his hair.  He isn't a new creation.  Hope its OK that I post him again!!  Dilu, your doll is great!  What a beautiful face!!!   :clap:  :clap:

nutcracker.jpg

Oh Connie,

Thank you for posting him again!!!  He is aso cool and so many Talkers loved him that it will be good to renew our acquaintence- and doesn't mohair make great hair-its what I usually use for the gollies as well.  Thanks....he is great and such a pleasure-
Remind us:  How tall is your prince again?

He is such a cool nutcracker.

Every Christmas in Grants Pass Oregon the main street is lined with Nutcrackers- about 8 feet tall.  yours is every bit if not better than the Artists are making them here in Oregon

Kathy:  Great fairys!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Cool topic, Dilu,

I'm making a mohair bearsuit/bunting for my first grandchild. I've got 8 weeks, and the Mom & Dad can't decide between polar and grizzly.

I"ll post a pic when finished bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

WOO HOO . . . already got those thinking caps on, folks - yea for you!  Thanks so much, Heather and Kassie, for your nice comments on the bed - I enjoyed making it.  Maybe a single item could serve both of your needs . . . a mohair throw.  For Kassie, one side mohair and the other a cute pet print fabric maybe - whatever you like - big enough to protect your furniture and WASHABLE.  Lacey's dad could also use it as a quilt if he got a little cool while watching TV.  (Great photos, by the way!)  For Kail, a little thicker stuffing/filling for softness and maybe a little bit plushier mohair or alpaca.  You could also line it with that minkee fabric or a baby print.  This is more of a baby palette type thing as you could build up the sides a little (sort of a bumper pad effect) and keep her from rolling off (or out).

Kathy, your mohair hair is fantastic as are those little fairies - wonderful!  And, Connie - Mr. Nutcracker is amazing!  Great imagination, folks!  Let's see some more ideas!

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Dilu,
My nutcracker is about 30 inches tall.  Thank you for your kind comments.  I am so pleased that you like him!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

What wonderful creations using the mohair. Dilu your Doll is beautiful and I love her clothes, you have done a fantastic job on her and I just love the teacosy. SueAnn those pet beds look so good.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

ebay-bears-anime-baby-002.JPGJust found all these fun ideas from everyone for using mohair!  bear_thumb
This is a pic of a tiny anime baby about 3" and the quiff of hair is a tiny scrap of long-pile I'd saved for ages. I couldn't part with the baby so he sits on my shelf and is very well behaved!
You've got me thinking of some more ideas now!.....
Hugs Lynne  :hug:

Eileen
please post a piccy when when you finish, I love the idea of a baby bunting.....( sending hurryup thoughts to son---he's 35.hurryuphurryuphurryup!!!!!  I want to make a mohair baby bunting too) bear_original

thanks Patsy, she was my first ever from start to finish pouring cleaning, firing, paintintpaintintpaintinting and more firing porcelain doll.....I see an awful lot of mistakes in her but will keep her around to remind me.....  And she was nekid, until we thought up this challenge, so it was a perfect vehicle, and the girls do like being dressed......

Kathy  your fairys really are so cute!  are they as tiny as I suspect?  The smaller the doll the harder and more crucial everything is...godd job  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Hi Lynn,

I wouldn't have been able to part with him either!  He is adorable!

OK guys keep the pictures coming

hugs
dilu

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

hmmm, i have a good idea for some tiny scraps
it came to me a couple of days ago , then i saw this post ... ill have a fiddle and post some pics ....

cat xxx

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Thanks guys the fairys are tiny the one sitting up is about 4 inches and the baby is about 1 3/4 inches long. Your right Dilu the smaller they get the fiddlier they get!! bear_tongue 
I love the idea of Mohair slippers!! Great Idea Daphne. I love those slippers with the animal heads I have a pair with moose heads ( another story ) but Mohair slippers with bear heads!!! MMM cozy.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

:redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:  :redface:

Well you all have some great ideas for scraps....BUT come on you guys....thinking caps back on....lets get even more creative.....

I hope to have something new to show you, by way of Daphne's genius, and if my plan works out its easy and .............

dilu

Board footer