Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I received the following email today. I did a quick search for teh orphanage he mentions, but did not come up with anything. I also searched for the shipping company he mentions, and ccame up with nothing. It would be interesting to do a project like this, but I am skeptical.......Anyone have any suggestions?

pandamac

Hi,

Sorry I'm placing the order through the e-mail, this is because I stutter a little. Well the (Ginger Bear-large ) that i am trying to purchased from your store is for an Orphanage Camp in Ghana and i will like you to contact the shipping company with the total weight and details they will need and

your location address to figure out the shipping cost. The quantity I want to order is 50. The email address for the shipping company is  supports@rocketship.com . Email them and ask them for the shipping cost to the Orphanage Camp in Ghana when they can pick up,what needs to be done before they pick up.

I will wait for your email with the total cost of the product and shipping cost as well. Below is my information and the camp address. I will send you my credit card to charge immediately after I receive the total cost.

Regards.

Eric Daniels
55034 E Willow St
Long Beach, CA 90815
USA.

Destination Address

Rev. John lartey
Hope For All Orphanage Home.
19th Osu street.
Accra -Ghana.

Thank You.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've not seen that message before, but I'm REALLY suspicious!  Sounds like a total scam to me.   bear_ermm  bear_ermm  bear_ermm

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

It's a scam, I'm sure of it - boy, these people get more sneaky by the day! bear_angry   Steer WELL clear of this one!!!
Hugs,
Chrisx

Jennskains Posts: 2,203
chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

It's a scam used in ever industry. I bet if you were to email this "shipping company" they only accept wire/bank transfers.  bear_angry  Total jerks these people!!

:hug:
~Chrissi

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

I've seen something similar on bearpile before.  I was contacted with a stolen credit card from some poor US citizen whose ID had been stolen.
. I ended up Contacting the credit card company to try to cancel the card for the poor person.

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

There are 14 Eric Daniels in Long Beach, there is no 55034 on E. Willow and 90815 zip is 100 Palms - not Long Beach.  I think you have someone trying to "pull the wool".  Take care and be very careful.

Eric Daniels
55034 E Willow St
Long Beach, CA 90815
USA.

Destination Address

Rev. John lartey
Hope For All Orphanage Home.
19th Osu street.
Accra -Ghana.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

t-ED, You sure know how to 'go to the source'. It would never have occurred to me to actually mapquest or google the name, addy & zip. Brilliant. Thx for the tip?

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts. I didn't think about mapquest......maybe I should check out the addresses.
I t would have been nice if it was for real.....

pandamac

planethappy Posts: 2

BEWARE!!! This exact message has been sent to my company and we nearly shipped some very expensive items to this scam artist. The orphanage is non-existant, and address is the same and futhermore, he gave us 4 poor us citizen's credit cards each under a different name than his. We are in the process of catching this scumbag, police report and all. If you see any message that is from a Pastor or Doctor from California or Ghana, do not pay attention to it. Hope for All Orphanage Home is the name, Steve Hylton is the alias he used. He actually called us from a phone number we couldn't call back! So, warning!

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_angry I've been getting a few of those 'Pastor' or 'Doctor' scam messages which got zapped without a second look. Very clever but I wasn't born yesterday! Stay well away from them but sadly someone somewhere out there will fall for it and pay the price and get stung big time!  bear_noexpression

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

We had some suspiscious ones come through at work about 18 months ago which wanted a whole lot of building material shipped to some Reverend

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

We had a similar scam artist contact our water company by phone wanting water shipped to another country. He used a service for the deaf so he wasn't speaking directly to me. Wanted to pay by mastercard. When I told him only a certified check and no water til funds cleared I didn't hear from him again.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

If you want to make donations to needy children do it through a known organization such as a church or even the United Way, etc. etc. etc.
One of my cousins was a missionary in Ghana.  She spent a couple of years there until violence on the Ivory Coast of Africa forced her to leave.  (The rebels have a tendency to kidnap foreigners.)

From my experience with her, one of the things they need most of all is mosquito netting.  There is lots and lots of malaria going around.  The netting keeps mosquitoes from biting people when they sleep.  (Malaria is spread through mosquito bites.)

The long and the short of it...  Give the scammers the cold shoulder.

FrizzyBear New York

If it's a scam, what a shame! 

I agree with Us Bears in the previous post. It would be lovely to give to known charities who are doing good throughout the world.   bear_original

Board footer