Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all.

I'm thinking of re-opening my commission book.  It's a big step, as I've not always enjoyed doing commissioned pieces, which, by definition, tend to be more confining than the freedom of simply working to suit my own whim.

In the past, what I've done is:

--  Gather information about collector wishes
--  Create the piece; no deposit required
--  Sell the piece to the collector if accepted, or to the public, elsewhere, if not.

I think I'd like to do things differently this time around, and am looking to find out the ways in which you all, other bear artists, work your own commissions.  Do you take a deposit?  Is it refundable?  How long do you give yourself to complete the piece after taking on the commission?  How much "say" does your customer have in the final product?

I would still want to be doing one-of-a-kind pieces, so these commissioned pieces wouldn't be the same as someone ordering one of a limited edition of bears.

Any help and advice you can offer, the more specific the better!, would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well with girls here, I would to a commissioned piece and then see if they like it and then they pay but I would want a deposit for someone that I dont know or havent dealt with before....

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I've been doing commissions the same way that you have in the past, Shelli. But I've also been thinking about changing what I do. A small non-refundable deposit would be very reasonable to my mind, because even if the buyer refuses the bear (very unlikely in your case!) and you were confident of selling it in other ways you have still worked to the constraints of the commission, probably making the process less enjoyable for yourself. It might also make the person who commissions the bear consider their requirements much more carefully.

Having said all this, it's been a little while since I had a request for a commission  :(. I've been lucky enough to have had a steady trickle of them since I started selling, but the last few months have been quite lean....

Deb Upstate New York

Shelli ~

I've not done commissioned work, but I agree with Helena on the small deposit.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shel,
I take a non-refundable deposit. Absolutely. I wouldn't be making that particular bear otherwise!
If you commissioned someone to make a work of art for you, what would you be willing to do to 'bind' the agreement? Could you justify a non-refundable deposit? Knowing you wouldn't be obligated to pay the balance if you didn't like but that you had requested this artists time be dedicated to you? I take a 30% deposit. If it's a big bear or requires the really expensive mohair I might require more to cover expenses of buying material.
That's my 2 cents.....  :lol:
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

That's exactly what I'm looking for, Daphne.  Keep it coming, all... bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Well, I do take a depost (25%) but right now it IS refundable.  I do this because as a collector I know that I prefer to see the bear before commiting to adopting...and that all bears even within an edition can turn out differently.

Why even take a deposit then?  Cause sometimes I've completed a bear, emailed the person and never heard from them again... not even to say "no thanks".

Right now on orders I say that I take 3-9 weeks.  Final payment due within 7 days of the bear's completion.  I think I may need to add that the deposit becomes non-refundable if I don't hear from you after 7 days... or something like that.  Takes me a while to figure out wording  bear_rolleyes   I'd probably want to take a phone number too just in case they are having computer problems...

Course I may change my terms to what Daphne does.... depending on how things go LOL!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I try to discourage too many commissions for the very reasons listed above.  It inhibits creativity and I work best on a whim and wherever my mood and heart takes me.  Who would have thought that his morning I would have designed a sheep/lamb and have the head/face felted....it was all on a whim this morning.

MONEY...we all need it , and I hate to turn people away so I do take them( custom orders).  Once a design and price is set, I ask for a deposit (refundable if they do not want the bear....fingers crossed ...so far so good) of at least 20% or more if the buyer wants to pay more.  I promise no dates but try to finish them within 8 weeks.  I hate pressure.  I have people tell me in the same sentence "oh, take your time...when do yo think it will be done?"  I can't blame a buyer.  I would "want-it-now"  too.

What has bothered me is when the price is set...then the buyer comes back and wants to add this to the bear...or make the bear larger....or add fancier more detailed paw pads.  It becomes awkward to discuss adjusting the price again.

I also offer layaways and usually always have bears in layaway.  It makes them more obtainable to those who don't have all the funds at one time.  I like to see my bears get good homes so I always try to be flexible.

I prefer to just make want I feel like making...if they love it...they can adopt it.  There is a home for every bear out there bear_wub

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Boy Judi,

I prefer to just make want I feel like making...if they love it...they can adopt it.  There is a home for every bear out there

You hit the nail right on the head for me. Everything you just said seems so true. Isn't it great to be part of a group of gals that all have the same oppinion when it comes to making bears.  bear_thumb

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Well, for our commissions, we first inquire what the collector is looking for as far as color, material, size. which pattern the bear is commission after if there is one.

We do not require a deposit. Once the bear is completed I send pictures and ask if the person who commissioned the bear wishes to continue with the adoption. I have never had anyone not adopt the bear. I invoice them and send it off with a full merchandise satisfaction guarantee for 30 days.

I have never had a commission returned. I think my point is that I want the customer to absolutely love the bear. I find I have had the best of luck with these policies. On our web page under Bear Facts, we have a "We Want You To Love Them Policy". I may get stung one day but do not worry about it as I know there are far more good apples than bad ones.

I have had some commission customers return 4 and 5 times because of this policy and they know they are under no obligation to adopt. They have nothing to loose and frankly neither do I in this case. The bear is never sent until it is paid for.

Hope this helps.

Many Hugs Louise

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

In the past i have discussed the buyers wishes but told them firmly that my bears will always look my bears (some people want them to look like other bears if you know what i mean) and it has always worked well.
I do a costing, ask them to pay a non-refundable deposit which covers materials only and Bobs your Uncle !

Never had a problem yet,  but you should'nt let the potential buyer dictate a style or design that you would hate to do - gosh that'd drive you nuts!!!

Penny  bear_wacko

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I don't do much in the way of commissions, purely because my more selfish 'I want to try this and that and that' list for myself is way too long.  But I have done a commission as above, with no deposit down and then they can purchase the finished product or not.  That having been said, I think this will be changing.  I think I will include in my commission wording that a deposit MAY be required in certain circumstances.  Those circumstances would be if (1) I would have to go out and buy expensive or difficult-to-find material just for that project or (2) the item is so specialized, that I think I would have a hard time selling it to somebody else.  In that case, I would probably take something along the lines of 1/4 or 1/3 down, non-refundable.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

I've been doing commisioned pieces for years, and I've had no problems.

I ALWAYS get a complete list of colour, style, dress fabric, embroidery or smocking etc., then give them a written quote.

A deposit is taken(Non-refundable) and they have the choice of paying in installments or at completion.

I tell them an approx. finish date (sometimes as far as 6 months) and most clients don't mind this as it gives them time to pay for pieces they might not have been able to afford otherwise.

I also do layby (Layaway) for the same reason.

When the piece is finished I email or snail mail a photo and I've never had any knockbacks or returns (touch wood)

I will not under any circumstances take an order for a piece that I don't want to do, or don't think will look like 'me'.(I've got to like what I do)

Hope this helps,
Glenys

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

DOES help, Glenys, and Kelly, too.  I think we're all reinventing the wheel each time we do this, trying to figure out what works for each of us, individually... but not stand too far apart and away from everyone else, so that we don't look "odd."

I have another question for you all...

What if, instead of calling it a 'commission', I called it something else?  For example:  What if I did this "thing" where, when a certain bear was created, and I had a waiting list for my work, I went to person #1 on that list and offered it to that person first, giving them 24 hours to yay or nay on the purchase.  Would that work for collectors, do you think?  Less a "commission" request or order, but more a "First Dibs" list.

Whaddya think?  Would YOU go for that?

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Yep Shelli,

I do that too.  Only slightly differently.  I have a list of clients on a list, and everytime I make something new or different I send out a pic and info to my list.

Its strictly a first come, first served situation and whoever gets back to me first gets the piece.(even if they want to layby it).

Glenys

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli,

Personally, I wouldn't want to be 'put on the spot'. Especially if the answer, for whatever reason, was 'no'. I'd feel awful and wouldn't want to feel like I was going to offend the artist. Too much pressure! I think you are on the right path though!  :thumbsup:

I like the way Glenys does it and know of other artists who do it this way. Good idea.  :thumbsup:

Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Good point, Daphne ... didn't think of that.  One of the reasons I wanted to take these musings public.

Okay, then what about this idea.

I tried this before, with mixed results.

What if I sent out photos of the bear, but told people it was first come, first served, as of... X date at Y time, something like 48 hours later. ???  Of course, I'd try to accommodate time zones as well as possible.

What would you think about THAT, if you were a collector?

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Shelli
Michelle Lamb periodically does as you are suggesting above. I have usually found that by the time I get her e-mail and get to the site the bear is sold. Not sure you can adjust for all the time changes worldwide to make it equitable. I do a lot of commission work and do not take a deposit mainly because I have their fur coat in my possession!!!! If you happened to get a lot of commissions it would seriously curtail your creativity and put a huge demand on your time  and also contribute to possibly enormous stress. If you were able to get enough commissions you would have a steady source of income that might be more reliable than what you have now and you would have a better idea of what your income would be. Hopefully for the rest of us you would still have time to put the odd bear up on e-bay!!!
Hugs
Gail

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I just have to voice my pet peeve about commissions here..... They all show up at Christmas Time! I have a whole boat load of them! OK, maybe not that many but a few and guess what... they all gave me fur coats for a 'deposit'. I swore I'd never make another real fur bear as I don't enjoy making them. I love to see other artist's work and have an infinite amount of respect and admiration for all that goes into one. But, when the Christmas shopping list keeps getting longer with new babies in the family, etc. how can I say no to commission work... guaranteed money!? Now that I have hand problems I have a good reason.

Anyway... Shelli - maybe 36 hours? Sounds like you are sort of conducting an auction without taking the highest bidder... just the first. Or, send an email out on a Friday and give until 9pm Sunday night. Just thinking 'out loud'.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

And he**, for that matter, I could just post new ones to my website and notify people via my mailing list.  Duh, Shel.

The problem is I'm trying to get those people access to my bears that can't otherwise get it; people in time zones that don't mesh well with mine, or who are disabled and have written asking for how to get one NOT via eBay, or my retailers; they tell me they go to look and the bears are already adopted by the time they get there.

It's a delicious predicament, to be sure, in which I find myself... but a predicament all the same.  For co-dependent, people-pleasing types like me, that is. ;)

Thanks, all, for your terrific suggestions.  I welcome any others you may think of as well.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Shelli wrote:

And he**, for that matter, I could just post new ones to my website and notify people via my mailing list.  Duh, Shel.

Well, now, that's a great idea Miss Shelli! K.I.S.S... Hee Hee... Keep It Simple SHELLI!  bear_grin I keep forgetting to ask you how you wound up getting your bears in Collins? Way over here in my neck of the woods!!! I have yet to make it there ... but I will. Just to visit with the Potbelly Bears in person!   bear_original

Deb Upstate New York

Great stuff here gals!  (Wonder if I'll ever need the info?!)  bear_grin  :P

Shelli wrote:

It's a delicious predicament, to be sure, in which I find myself... but a predicament all the same.  For co-dependent, people-pleasing types like me, that is.

Me too Shelli; it's a curse sometimes.  You must be a first-born.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Shelli... I sometimes do what you are talking about with the first dibs idea.... I call it "right of first refusal."  I have a few folks on my commission list who really aren't sure exactly what they want.... when I am done with a bear that fits in generally with what they want in some way, I eMail them a photo and they have the option of saying yes or no.  I am very upfront in my e Mail and make sure that they know that they won't offend me in any way by passing on the bear.  I understand that sometimes a bear either speaks to you or he doesn't.  I sell a whole lot this way actually!  Generally they are collectors who I am pretty familiar with already, so they know that I am not going to be upset with them if they pass. 
I also do sell by sending out photos to the folks on my mailing list and then it's first come first served.  A lot of people love it that way, but I always hate e Mailing the second perosn, thrird person, etc... who e mailed 10 minutes after the first!  That's how most of the folks get on my right of first refusal list!
As for Commissions.... I am completely un-business like!  No deposit, just lots of e Mails back and forth discussing their wishes and what I can and can't do.....  Quite a few people ask to be able to leave a deposit anyway.... but I just generally don't take them.... with my life, I never know when something will drastically change, and I don't want to be hanging onto people's money.  My wait list is about 6 months at this point, which is the longest that I let it get.... so I'm not taking any more until after I am a bit more caught up. 
I take copious handwritten notes as to people's preferences, what they are looking for etc.....

I'm sure that it's CERTAINLY not the most efficient way to operate, but I've never had any problems (knock on wood!) and it does allow me to get the right bears into the right loving hands!  For me, that's what it's all about anyway, and talking with people who enjoy what I do is truly my ABSOLUTE favorite part of the whole bear making process! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I'm a bit late jumping in here... but Shelli I do that quite often!  I'll often list bears on my website and email my mailing list that a new bear (or bears) are available on my website until XXXXX at which time they will be listed on eBay if they are still looking for a home. 

On the pricing... I often will list them on the website for a little bit more than I do on eBay; if I use a "Buy it Now" on eBay that price will be higher than my website price was.  I do tell my mailing list friends this.

Board footer