Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Is there anyone here who is planning to go to the Golden Teddies Gala at the Marriot hotel in Washington DC on August 8th? (I think I have the details right, without checking)

I am thinking of going but I have to get the OK from my doctors first, it would be pointless for me to go if I was just to end up unwell.

Has anyone been before and if so could you let me know about what happens etc.

Also what is the weather/ temperatures likely to be in August in Washington DC.

Could anyone recommend good clean accommodation that's not too expensive as the flights/ travel alone will be in the region of £1,500 (2,994.76 USD)   bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Thanks, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Oh Jane - I hope you do get to go , I'm sure it will be fantastic ! Sadly I won't be able to  bear_sad  but I'll be longing to hear a first hand report !  bear_original
Also , I'm a bit unsure about the having a representative thing ?? Although I don't really feel it will apply to me  bear_happy  bear_happy
Looking forward to the "low down" on the event  bear_smile
Ruth

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks Ruth and yes anyone have the info on the

representative thing

as Ruth said?

Hugs, Jane.   bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

samanthapotter Mary Myrtle Miniatures
Cheltenham, UK
Website

Hi Jane,
I went last year, and it was wonderful.  I was lucky enough to win one, so that made it extra special.
I would recommend staying in the hotel where it is held, especially if you may feel tired or unwell.  It means that when the gala is finished you can simply go upstairs to your room, rather than having to travel to another hotel.
I would love go again, but as you've said, it is a lot of money.  The actual fair was wonderful aswell and I had a great time wandering around and spending money!!! bear_grin
Whilst I was there, I also did the Teddy Bear Artist Invitational, which made it even more worthwhile going all that way.  I think there are two weeks between the two events this year though, rather than one week like last year.
If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me!!!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Hi Jane,
I've been to the Gala many years in a row.  The food is delicious and the ceremony very nice.  While I will be at Expo with my bears, I will not be attending the dinner this year.  Anyway, I just wanted to say that the banquet itself is well worth attending as is the show.  I've always stayed at the hotel and I must say it is very convenient and extremely nice.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh Jane , I am soooo jealous.  I was talking to someone about EXPO today and expressing my disappointment . I really wish I could go , but at this point I just don't see how I can't afford it    bear_cry  bear_cry

I want to go just to experience the event and meet the artists/TTers.  Winning would just be the icing on the cake .

I was wondering about the representative thing too, although I don't anticipate needing one either   bear_happy   Does this person accept your award and have to make sure it gets to you also ???   

CRYING.gif

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I'll be there, as will my mom, I think that usually the Monroes are there and a couple of other bear artists as well.  There seemed to be scant few bear artists in the room for the awards last year, particularly when compared to the doll artists who are there simultaneously for the doll awards.  I found it pretty sad, actually.  Many of the doll nominees were there to accept there awards in person, and almost none of the bear artists were.  So if you're a nominee, PLEASE do look into attending!

Jane, temperatures in D.C. in August are brutal, it is likely be 90-100 degrees F, and could also be quite humid.  I would also recommend staying at the same hotel, the awards program took some time as there were several other presentations beforehand, it was nice to just take the elevator up to my room at the completion.

Regarding having a representative accept your award for you... I can't actually recall anyone doing that last year???  If the artist was not there to accept their award, one of the Jones Publishing people stood up to accept it.

Hope to see you (or anybody else!) there!
Kelly

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

According to the literature they sent, there is a nominal fee to have the "Jones" people accept on your behalf.   They recommend having someone appointed from what I understood anyway.

Rainebears Rainebears
Wellington, New Zealand

I enquired about a representative (not that I will be needing one) and was told a publisher would accept the award for me at the banquet if you should win. The nominal fee is $30. This covers the shipping and the insurance coverage for the award.
I would love to be going but it is just a little too far.
Good luck to everyone

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Jane,

How neat for you if you are able to make it over to the Golden Teddies Gala.
I shall have my fingers crossed that you can go!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Jane!
I hope you will be able to attend! I will have a table and Krista and I are planning to attend the Awards Show. Krista is coming just for the awards. I do think it is worth the trip. It's a grand hotel and the show is lots of fun. THis show is probably one of the few "grand old" shows and Awards ceremony's  :thumbsup:. If you are able to come, let us know and you can be at our table for the awards!
Karen

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I would love to attend as well, but sadly I cannot see it happening at this stage, maybe one day.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

K Pawz Guest

YUP!!! Like Karen said I am planning on coming for the weekend as an attendee, not having a table...but I am looking forward to being Karen's "helper"!!!

Just waiting for the dreaded passport to finally show up before I book anything!

hugs,
Krista

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Ooooo Jane, I know how much you wanted to go, I hope you make it  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Flights of Whimzy Flights of Whimzy
Maryland

Hi Jane,

I live about 40 miles from D.C.  It will be 85 to 95 degrees during August and undoubtedly very humid.  However, it is not unheard of for the temps to reach almost 100 degrees.  Everything here has air conditioning so you should be able to stay out of the heat especially if you stay at the hotel holding the event.  You'd probably have to stay outside the Washington Beltway in order to get a better hotel rate, but then you'd have to deal with transportation which is pretty much the Metro (subway).  If you are unwell and unfamiliar with the area this probably isn't a good idea.

I hope you are able to visit the USA!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I want to go as well although like you, Krista, I would not have a table. I am still trying to figure out how to fit it into my budget...I may only come for two days and see if I can get a roommate to share expenses.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Jane!!!  HOW Wonderful IF you get to come to the states...Flights of Whimsy has it right=hot and humid.  Humid like you can't breathe humid.  But not only do the big motel/hotel places have air conditioning they have dehumidifing contraptions.... And we all drive on the wrong side of the street, so unless you are comfortable with that, like FOW said you will be dependent on the metro.  Given what little I know I would encourage you to stay at the event hotel; And check with the hotel about transportation from the air port to the site most big hotels here have bus service, pick you up at the airport etc.....

I do hope you pull this off, it will be quite nice for you to have a REAL holiday for a change, coming alone? bringing Hubbers? be sure you bring the camera, our roving correspondent!

gollyhugs
dilu

Board footer