Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I bid on hair trimming scissors on eBay last week and won the auction. Got the confirmation on Sat with the direction to pay it by PayPal. Went to do so and get the message that he doesn't accept non-US PayPal accounts !!! I messaged him back about this, twice (cause I got a payment reminder) and this morning he tells me this: 

The principal reason for this decision is because
We do not have any control on shipping to other countries,
And can't get tracking information that we can provide
To PayPal in order to get the so called Buyer/Seller Protection.

Now, this is a $9 purchase plus $10 shipping! He said I either have to send cash, Western Union or money order! or:
We regret to inform you that if no payment is received, we need to file a
Non-Paying Bidder in order to get back our listing and selling fees from
eBay.

Now I admit after re-reading his auction it did state about the non-US Paypal but you had to very carefully look for it. I'm not amused - now I have to go to the post office, purchase a money order, mail it to him and then wait for him to mail the item to me. I was hoping to have the scissors next week and now it looks like it'll  be a month or more! I've purchased many things off eBay in the States with no problems - what's with this guy!!  bear_wacko

Marion

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Is this a little fishy?????

I am not sure what postal control he has in the US, maybe he owns UPS :crackup:

I know I have no control over the postage system either here or abroad

Could it be the extra charges that paypal charge on currency exchange, it can be a killer

I also thought paypal protection was universal not just for purchases that are sent internally in your own country

My sympathies  bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Marion,
     He is right when he states he only gets Paypal seller protection if he has a tracking number, and the only way he can get it is to send by expensive shipping method.   I don't know why he just didn't accept the payment and then insist on Priority mail with a tracking number though.  It would be faster even if expensive
   If you don't buy a lot from U.S. ebayers, you will get a shock as it is the norm now for U.S. sellers to insist on VERY expensive shipping methods to get the tracking required for Paypal protection.  Another change by Ebay.

hugs,

Brenda

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well Brenda I would say $10.00 shipping for a pair of scissors is really expensive to begin with sheesh   bear_grin  bear_grin .  I've sent cash before in a priority envelope Marion, it's trackable and the cost is a little more than getting a money order and sending it (I mean even with a money order I would want to track it to make sure it got there) so I just use one of the priority envelopes and it will get there in about 5 days.

hugs

Shane

Brockville, Ontario

This is getting riduculous - the bloody scissors only cost $9 and it going to cost me 3 x that before I'm done. Not a happy camper here I can tell you. I wonder if I contact him and just offer to pay him the listing fee and be done with it if he'll go for it?

Marion,
     It's worth a try, but I wouldn't hold your breath, especially if he is a Powerseller!  If not, the transaction won't be finished until after May 1st, and you an always leave him a negative feedback, without fear of retaliationk as the new Ebay rules kick in May 1st LOL!  Sellers can not leave negative feedback after May 1st.  You can also give him a really low score on his DSRs.
    For me, I have never bid on any item, without contacting the seller and confirming everything first - just call me paranoid.  It there's a problem, I don't bid. 

hugs,

Brenda

Waterloo, Ontario

Well Marion, did he say he would leave you a negative?  I mean just because he files a non paying bidder report doesn't mean anything really, he has to do it to get his listing fee's back and like Brenda said if you don't do it until after May 1st he can't leave you a negative even if he wanted to LOL .

big hugs

Shane

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website
thumperantiques wrote:

If you don't buy a lot from U.S. ebayers, you will get a shock as it is the norm now for U.S. sellers to insist on VERY expensive shipping methods to get the tracking required for Paypal protection.  Another change by Ebay.

You are SO right, Brenda!!!  My husband wanted to buy a quantity of blank dog tags from the US and was quoted 70 bucks for shipping!!!  We just assumed it was a polite way of the guy telling us to go shove our business as he didn't want to ship outside the USA... 
I am getting a wee bit fed up with it though as it seems to be only US sellers doing this: I ordered some BJD parts from Singapore and I am only being charged $12 for shipping, which includes a tracking number.
Hugs,
Christine

Dilu Posts: 8,574

awww jeez louise Marion;

it seems to me that most folks concider Ca the same as the states when it comes to shipping, except for pesky customs.... bear_wacko AND most sellers are really plain and obvious about the paypal thing.

I hate the money order thing.  A lot of mold sellers are the same even if you ARE in the states-money order or check.  Now its because they don't want to pay paypal fees....I say incorporate them into your initial opening bid.

Hope you weren't waiting on the scissors for some special creation's haircut....

You all up north do have a certain power....theres an awful lot of you and if the us sellers are going to be jerks you can send your moeny else where.....Contrary to what the administration is saying things are not so good down here....and if Canadian buyers took their money and went home the folks down here would have to straighten up and play nice.

sorryhugs

dilu

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I've been having downright sticker shock on shipping period!   bear_shocked   The prices for the US shipping have shot up astronomical in a very short time span and are set to shoot up yet again in May. 

I am sorry you're having such trouble with the whole Paypal and shipping/tracking thing  :hug:   Sure hope you can sort something out.   :hug:

Brockville, Ontario

I've purchased many items from the US over the past few years w/o running into anything like this - and for much more money! My fault for not reading the listing properly but still - feel like I was blindsided here.  I wrote and asked for his address and got this! Remeber, the listing ended last Saturday, Apr 26.

It has been well over a month and no payment yet!
Once again we are very sorry for the inconvenience,
Please accept our apologies,
Send Payment to:

Thanks for your time and consideration,
We really appreciate you for contacting us!
If payment is no here in 10 days!
we need to file a NonPayingBidder
Dispute to get our
Listing and selling fees back,
eBay charges cost us money!
We need to get paid to pay eBay,
We hate to do that, but it is eBays Rules.
We don't give NPB Strikes!
Ebay does it is their way to clean the eBay community
Of buyers that bid on items, and
Don't pay for what they bid.
As today we have no receive payment yet.
bear_shocked
Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awe Marion what a pain the *!%  for you.  I don't know why some sellers get so worked up over shipping and paypal protection.....especially over a $9.00 item Geeeeeeze!

I also don't know why so many US sellers are doing this.....

On behalf of the fair US sellers....I never over charge for shipping.  In fact I will refund any shipping if the actual  shipping is less than what I charged...and....if the shipping is more...and it often is...I just absorb that cost.  It's very hard to know exactly how much shipping to charge.  Sellers don't need to charge high shipping costs to get a tracking number or insurance.

Maybe I have too much faith in the postal service.  I think they do a great job.

Marion, perhaps this seller has had a bad experience with shipping.  It does seem like he is overreacting though.

Hope you get your clippers soon. bear_flower

Marion,
     I think all of this changed with the last U.S. Postal changes.  The U.S. postal charges are more similar to the Canadian costs now and they discontinued the more reasonable shipping methods such as Airmail Letter Post..  It costs much more to send a package with tracking to Canada now.  Add the changes from Ebay, ie "no tracking number/no buyer protection" and a lot of U.S. shipping costs have skyrocketed.  There are still some reasonable seller, who will take your good feedback into consideration, but not most Powersellers.  If your seller is a Powerseller, then you are out of luck - they ship too much and aren't interested in individuals - they just want to make as much as they can and if they have to charge high shipping for tracking to please Ebay, then they will.   Sorry, but that's the way things seem to be going. 

hugs,

Brenda

Waterloo, Ontario

I thought that ebay was making some of these changes because of the huge fee's sellers were charging on their auctions for shipping .  I remember ebay wanting to be notified of any seller who was charging super high rates for small items or items that shouldn't cost that much to ship? 

But then again why would ebay care  bear_grin  bear_grin

hugs

Shane

Shane,
     It is such a sham - Ebay penalizes you for high shipping, but then makes it mandatory to have tracking for Paypal protection, which pushes the shipping rates UP!  Can you figure it out for me, cuz I sure can't!

hugs,

Brenda

Brockville, Ontario

I sent cash to him in a registered letter....cost me $13!!! The postal clerk told me xpedited was even more. I sure hope those scissors are worth it.

Marion

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

The U.S. postal charges are more similar to the Canadian costs now and they discontinued the more reasonable shipping methods such as Airmail Letter Post..  It costs much more to send a package with tracking to Canada now.

Brenda, they still have the Airmail Letter Post rate - they just changed the name of it to "First Class International" and it is pretty much the same pricing - maybe a slight increase same as they do every year in Canada. The only problem is that many US sellers do not want to use this method as it doesn't have tracking or insurance. I just bought two identical tiny bears on ebay from different sellers and got charged $4.00 shipping by the first one which included a "certificate of mailing" at $1.05 which she said she needed for PayPal protection - had never heard of it before so don't know anything about it and whether PayPal really accepts it in lieu of a tracking number or not. The second one is also being sent by first class international and I paid $8.70 which included $2.45 for insurance (even though I know I you can't get insurance on first class international!) Both of these bears will not cost more than $2.86 to mail by first class international and being so small may even go for anywhere from $1.62 to $2.55 depending on the weight of the packaging.  Many Americans do not seem to understand how they can mail small parcels to Canada for less than they can within the States (same as here in Canada we can mail small packets anywhere in the world almost for cheaper than we can within our own province!) I wouldn't be suprised if the shipping costs are what really shut ebay and online auctions down - at least on less expensive items - as it seems like nowadays you often have to pay more for the shipping than you do for the item! I can't understand why ebay won't just make their buyer protection for items over $50 or over $100 and then that would solve the problem - unless as has been suggested, they really don't want the business of the lower priced items!

Board footer