Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I can't believe this email this is on my latest auction on Ebay, this auction currently has several watchers and lots of hits. naturally I told her it wouldn't be fair to end the auction early so she could buy it. this just irked me

Hi Kathy,

Thankyou so much for replying back so quickly to my email, you have just made my day by
accepting a us money order thats great news! thankyou so much... i hope i really do become little
Henry's new mommy he is just so cute and gorgeous!  and i just have to have him lol i have been watching him and its sad news that no one else has bid for him yet... but good for me, i was goin to bid on him but i was thinking seeing as no one else has bid for him yet would  it be a hassel for you to  end the listing early, and i will be happy to pay us $65.00. plus postage and handling fee. or you can charge me more if you loose money from listing  for canceling the listing early. i would love to hear back from you soon. Iwould really hate to miss out on this little fella...

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'd stand firmly in the NO Camp.
I always bid in the last 10 seconds, (and win 99% of the auctions I bid on because I don't show prior interest or get into a self-doubting bidding war - I know: bad for sellers but good for buyers. I'm on both sdes of this sales table!) and you'd be cutting off potential customers if you cave in to her option.
She'd just like to get it before the price goes up.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I ended an auction early once, very early in my career, for what were actually pretty solid reasons -- I thought, anyway.  In doing so, I know for a fact I completely irked one of my potential collectors who was new to my mailing list and actually a very decent person.  She was angry at me because she had her hopes up for that particular bear, too.  We talked it out via email and things turned out just fine but I have to admit, I didn't really understand how disappointing it might be from the collector point of view to lose the OPPORTUNITY to bid, even for a good reason, until she wrote to explain it to me.

I vowed to her I'd never end an auction early again, having heard and understood her arguments -- and I never have.

I stand with Bobbie... firmly in the NO camp on this one.  I think it's just good business, operated with integrity, if you start a sale as an auction, to end the sale as an auction, too.  No surprises, except the final bid price.

Lesson learned!

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I agree. look at your number of watchers and id they really want it they will bid......I never finish early, and I too find it rude when they try this.........as no one else has yet bid........gee whiz .......as subtle as a ten ton weight. What are they really trying to say.......I;m the only one that wants your bear and you're lucky I'm going to bid.   HMMM maybe you don't want your bear going  there to live!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I always like to give people a fair chance before I judge them and I think this lady really likes your bear so much she would hate to lose him and by offering to pay for him and you ending the auction early she is just trying to get the bear she loves without the hassle of wondering if she will lose the bear to a higher bidder as maybe she can only go so high or she just wants it.When you fall in love with a bear you want it but can't neccessarily go too high as you can't afford it.
With e bay though when you have auctions you have to see them through because you have put this item up for all to see and everyone has to have a fair chance of winning it and you can disappoint people that might want your bear too.
I think the best thing is to e mail her and thank her for the interest but you want to let the auction run and in future if she wanted to be on your mailing list she will have a chance to buy your bears before they go on e bay.
Laurie :hug:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

This is a difficult one Kathy but I always stand my ground, if it's an auction then everyone takes a chance. Most times I list on ebay I get a question to end early....but then I often don't get bids until the last few seconds even though I have about 15-20 people watching...then it goes mad and the bidding ends very quickly as time runs out..... If people would bid earlier then the price would go up gradually and I would probably get more!....a great way to buy but not good if you're selling!
I think offering buy now and an auction bidding, sounds like a good way of covering both...might try that next time  bear_rolleyes
Lynne  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I agree, don't end it early=you don't know but what this woman is a competing artist and using this as a way to "off" her competition......ok I confess closet conspiracy theorist.....

But on a practical note:  What are you out besides listing fees?   The chances are good this person is looneytoons and not planning on bidding at all-just making trouble.....

good luck on your auction btw.....

dilu

I guess her picking on you is somewhat a complement....but consider she might be doing this to other ebay artists too........

Northern Nevada, USA

This is what I posted her back:

Hi, I am sorry but I do not end the auctions early as that would not be fair to other watchers who may bid late. I often have auctions end in the last few minutes with bids. Thank You, Kathy

Nothing lost she has already bid on him.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Kathy....that sounded good, and I am sure she understood.

Northern Nevada, USA

Well Pleased as Punch, she won the auction but did have a bidding battle with two other bidders and ended twice as high as the start bid!!I am very pleased!! Really glad I didn't end that auction early!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All's well that ends well.  Good on you and congrats on the sale! bear_original

Board footer