Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I was thinking about you both....................... :hug:  :hug:  bear_cry  bear_cry

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I really hope he/she comes home soon . . . I know how much I worry about mine if they aren't all inside by dark.  Best vibes sent and fingers crossed.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

lulubears Posts: 280

Hey!  Remember my cat that went missing - just 2 or 3 days shy of 7 long, excrutiating weeks!  Then, one night, there he was at the door.  Don't give up.  They are tough little buggers.

The one that went missing here is now a healthy 14 pounds.

Luann

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

IMG_0920.jpgIMG_0919.jpgIMG_0907.jpgIMG_0908.jpgAwe, Thanks for asking Tami, Sue Ann, and Luann.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

There is still no sign of Shamu.  I have called the police and our vet clinic to see if anyone has found him.
He has never been away this ling.  He loves to be outside but always wants back in the house.  On occasion he has been out over night but by morning is frantic to get back inside.
Both my daughters are away from home on vacations so neither of them know.  My son isn't sure what to make oif it.  He thinks we should adopt Sailor...another barn kitty on our farm tht is really friendly.

I miss Shamu and they way he sleeps with me at night and dances on head in the morning to get up and feed him.  The vet said he could still come home. :pray:  :pray:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

IMG_0896.jpgOh No!!!  I just now went o feed my goldfish and found one missing.  Then I saw him on the counter all dreid up.   bear_cry   He must have been thinking he was Shamu the whale at Seaworld and jumped out of the bowl

I bought these goldfish last Fall for 12 cents each at Wal Mart.  They were feeder fish but we bought them for pets.  We were told by the oh so knowledgeable sale person that they would not live past two weeks since they were "low quality poorly bred fish only bred for feeders".....(we were believing that).... Well it just goes to show what a little love can do...even for a fish.

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Awe, I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I hope he finds his way back home.
I have "feeder goldfish" That I saved from my brothers Pirrana when I was in highschool!.. lol... the one died last year and the other one is over 13 years old now! They can live a long time bear_original
I've had koi jump out on me too, it happens sometimes.

Hugs!
Melanie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Melanie. bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

I have say WOW!  A feeder fish that lived 13 years.  That's really neat to hear.   Again...it's the TLC bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   It's magic. bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh   Brace yourself Judi.... goldfish can happily live 50 years.  YES 50 years, and koi can make it to 75 years or older.  Its something about being coldwater that seems to give them the longer lifespans.

The salesperson actually told you correct... Most feeders are just that, they are bred solely to feed other fish (which I feel is not in the best interests of either fish).  Genetically they are indeed behind the 8 ball, but more importantly, when they arrive from the distributors, they are shipped in very large quantities. 

When you catch a fish from a lake or a pond and you're getting them off the hook, they feel 'slimy'.  This slime coat is actually the fish's first defense and immune system against things like fungal and bacterial infections.  When they are shipped in large lots, they are stressed (and genetically not the soundest to begin with).  So they get their slime coat rubbed off.  This is when the infections become rampant....a bit like kids their first week back in school.  Soon the fungal and bacterial infections rage and if you're not on top of it (and even if you are, they sometimes don't make it despite tlc), they'll succumb. 

IF you can get them past the first few weeks and get them in an environment that suits them and lowers the stress, you'll have what you've shown....some gorgeous finnage and colouring comes out.  And just wait ~ they are little clown in the making  :bday:   Each one tends to have a very strong personality and they are such fun to watch. 

:crackup:  Can  you tell I used to own a fish store?   bear_wub

As for your dear boy....I've everything tightly crossed that Shamu makes it back home to you  bear_cry   I hate the 'not knowing'  :hug:  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well Debbie, I had better pick myself up off the floor.  50 YEARS!  We are talking "feeders" right".  I love fish.  I love looking into an underwater world...hhhmm..might be the picese in me. bear_happy   So you used to own a fish shop.  That is so cool Debbie.   I used to work in a pet shop as a teenager.  Did you carry any other animals?  I never knew that about the slime on the fish but that does make sense.  Thanks for sharing that info.  I love little tidbits like that.

We just got three hermit crabs from our trip tp Hilton Head South Carolina.  We found out that they are not allowed on airplanes....but the gate agent...bless her heart...apporached us and quietly advised that we put the hermit crabs in our carry on bag so she would "see" them as we boarded the plane.  They were very securely placed in thier carrying case and were very small ( we have a large crab habitat here at home).  Apparently if they get out they can scuttle off and snip wires.  Yikes.  We just figured that since people tale dogs on planes that crabs wouldn't be a problem.  I feel like a crab smuggler bear_laugh   Everything was fine.  We wouldn't take any chances....and well....heck...we're still here.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HE'S BACK!!!!  Shamu came back at 1am early this morning.  Wow, that was almost a week that he was gone.  My husband was up and I was in bed and he said, " Judi! Shampoo ( he calls him shampoo) is back!"  I flew out of bed.   He wouldn't let me sleep last night he wanted me to cuddle and pet him....Shamu that is. bear_wub
I wonder where the heck he's been.  Ah well, he's back. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Judi, that's wonderful!
When i read that last post about Shamu being back home, i shouted a big "YESSSSSSSSSSSSS !" and did the happy dance.

Do not forget to give him a collar with your address or at least something in one ear to be able to identify him if he takes another vacation without asking permission!!!!

Lots of cuddles to Shamu!
Beary hugs,
Sophie.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh Judi, that is wonderful, I'm so glad he is back safe and sound!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Judi,
     I'm so glad you have your Shamu back!  Cats are so curious - he could have been trapped in someone's garage, if they had been away for a few days.  Oh the stories cats could tell!

hugs,

Brenda

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I'm so happy he's home!! :hug:
  I was about to type this out last night!  When we all still lived at our parents my sisters cat was lost for a few days.  The cat was the only cat that "had to" (really had to, it made her a happier cat) go outside at least once a day.  She would walk the perimeter of the house, never go farther and then come in right away. Same thing for years and she was a happier cat if let out once a day like that.  Well one day she didn't come right back in.  The next day we canvased the neighborhoods with flyers, walked around forever posting flyers and talking to everyone we could about our lost cat. Another day went by and no cat.  Our neighbors across the street came home from a 3 day vacation and heard a "scary noise" under their bed bent down to see what it was and our cat flew out at them running for the nearest door.  Our neighbors were beyond freaked out got the cat out of the house (they realized the next day it was our cat).  Here our cat was locked in their garage for those 3 days (she did use an empty brown food store bag as a litter box...still a good cat).  When they initially got home and opened the garage door to the house she ran right on in without them knowing.  Poor cat was obviously confused from day one, we don't know what made her cross the street let alone go into a strange house.

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
thumperantiques wrote:

Judi,
     I'm so glad you have your Shamu back!  Cats are so curious - he could have been trapped in someone's garage, if they had been away for a few days.  Oh the stories cats could tell!

hugs,

Brenda

Brenda, you just reminded me of this... lol. http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/cc_index_en.htm  I'm sure you gals will enjoy it! The guy attached a camera to his cat that took photos every few mins! It is really amusing... well I thought it was anyway! heehee.  :crackup:

Hugs!
Melanie

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

So Glad to hear your kitty came home Judi. When I was still living at my parents one of our Maine Coons got out and never returned.. I still find myself looking for him and that was years ago now. I won't let my 2 outside.... They can look out the window.. I could not take the stress of loosing one of them  bear_wub

Give Shampoo bear_happy teehee a hug for me! bear_original  :hug:
Melanie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Super wonderful news, Judi - sooooo glad he's back!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Judi -
I am glad that you kitty is back home safe.  Maybe he was looking for his girls.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Jare Hares & Bears wrote:

Maybe he was looking for his girls.

Yeah, he does like to flirt with some of our barn cats.

He was born a barn cat and  some of his siblings still hang around the farm and it is amazing to see how much larger Shamu is than they are...well....vet care and an abundance of food.  We do feed the barn cats but they seem to prefer mice and other critters as they are often seen hunting and parading around thier lunch......in various stages of consumption...eeeeewwww.

Fairly recently they brought us a half eaten rabbit.  eeeeewwww....which our pretty little Mandi (photo above) decide to sample.  She gorgered herself before we figured out what she was up to.  It was disgusting to see her white fur covered in blood.  We reminded her that she was a Maltese Poodle and needed to start acting like one and not a dog. bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh   Man, no matter how fluffy they are they are still dogs.  Mandi likes to eat calf poo also.  YUCK!  Then throws it up in the house.  But we love her. bear_wub

Your stories are very interesting about cats.  I learned from Animal Planet that cast are the most efficient hunters and are very capable of taking care of themselves without humans.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Oh, I love happy endings! I have been away from TT and I didn't read the story until just now, so I didn't have long to worry for you!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Judi writes: HE'S BACK!!!!  Shamu came back at 1am early this morning.

Well Judi, what a relief. For scaring you and your family, I'd say, don't let him back out again! Bless his little heart!

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Oh I am happy. I read the story and stayed out of it. I had a cat go missing about a year and a half ago. One minute she was playing in the lounge with the other cat, the next gone. And she never came back. It was about a year before we moved away, but I still have someone to keep an eye open for her incase she does come back. So pleased you had a happy ending.

puca bears puca bears

..............and I'm really happy for you - I know from experience, how horrible it is when a cat goes missing........
nice to hear of a happy ending!
huggies
Maria

Board footer