Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

(sigh)  School starts tomorrow Sept 2nd.  Jordan my oldest daughter will be in her last year of High School...a Senior  ( wow).

Rachel is in the Sixth Grade.

And my baby boy Joey will be starting Kindergarten. bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry   I can't believe my baby is in school( I can't believe I waited six years between each child either)  He is so excited to go to school but the Kindergarten is fives days a week ..all day now.  That's a lot for  little humans.  I know I am just going to cry when he gets on the bus.

Well, I guess this will free up lots of time for bear ( and other animal) making...which I need to get on as I have been so bust lately.

Have any of you had last-child-starting-school-blues?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oh yes!  And I bawled unashamedly Judi!  He's 23 and out at work in the big wide world now though, so I guess he coped without me! bear_tongue

You'll soon come to fill your time while your son is away from home and before you know it, he'll be back for cuddles and full of stories to share! :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

awww Judi, I can only imagine  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  I look back at my niece and nephew and they have grown so fast, I shed tears thinking of it each time they grow up a little more, they're babies for such a short time  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

ahhhhhhh, bless you x
iv not got the last kid blues yest... 4 yrs to go!!!
but my 3 yr old will be starting nursery every day and im worried she'll hate it and miss me terribly, but katie who is 6 now, never looked back!
just think of all that prescious time you will have, if you get bored, i can always lend you one of mine!!!!
im expecting in a couple of weeks, you'll be loving all that bear making!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judi,
as one who was told  not to speak English on the first day of school, and was almost forced to walk him to school in a dirndle, until I made him look out the window at other moms.....and as one whose wayyyyy too young smartypants left home the day he graduated: i also didn't know quite what do

here's what I did:

learn something new- I threw myself into heirloom quality miniatures making 1"to12" scale
devote yourself several hours a day to something fun just for you, something you thought you might like to do but never had the time for because of  God,girls, hubs, bears, baby, family, farm.....

It doesn't matter what that new thing is as long as it will engulf your imagination and give you a fresh perspective, it can energize you and that pays off in all facets of life.

join a Bible study.....you'd be surprised what you learn

call all your friends and family, they will be surprised as the persumptive idea is that you are so busy with all of the above, God, girls, hubs, bears, baby, family, farm.....

clean out all the drawers in the house, it will give you a chance to organize.....( I liked this idea so much,( thank you Mariann, that I still do it every other year.....)You don't need to do it all in one day-remember graduating to
my-kids-are-almost-grown-status can be rough, but boy is it great.

hugs

d

i also did a different cookie recipie every week....still haven't made it all the way through this cookie recipie book from King Arthur

Manuela Furry Critters
Website

Judi
I know  bear_cry  My Baby is 10 years old  bear_whistle  and this year she is coming in the fifth grade. Here in Germany it is a big School exchange. She must go in a other city ( with bus) and I canĀ“t drive a car. I was a little bit afraid . But  now after 3 Weeks it works good. My 17 years old son goes on the  adjoining school, it helps.... How old is your Baby? He goes alone with the bus in the kindergarden?

Manuela

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Oh Judi I cried when both my oldest and youngest got on the bus and rode away for the first time!
This year I have to admit that I got teary eyed when my boys, now eight and eleven, rode off on their bikes to school on the first days. bear_cry  No bus, no driving them, no walking them up to school, off they went all by themselves! As they grew smaller and smaller in the distance, I was recalling the way you let your baby stand in your lap and hold his little hands. "How big is Alex??" you sing. "Sooo big!" And now they really are!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Judi I know exactly how you feel  :hug:  My older daughter is due to start senior school on Wednesday (she's eleven) and I'm not sure who's more nervous, her or me (but I have a few more grey hairs which I didn't have last month  bear_grin )  She will be walking to school with some friends, but she will have to cross a busy road.  OMG must stop thinking about it.

My baby girl is about to start year 1 (she's five - six year age gap like you).  She started school in January and cried every morning for the whole term (particularly bad on Physical Education days) and I am dreading tomorrow especially as I have to rush to work straight afterwards. 

I would like to mention however that I work in a nursery and see quite a few upset children at the beginning of each term.  After a few cuddles they more often than not go off and play quite happily.  I know this is how my youngest behaves at school but it isn't easy when YOUR the mum and you can't see them calming down.  I have come into work sobbing (this was after 4 weeks solidly of her not going in without being prized off me) just to be reminded by my work mates how quickly children stop crying when you leave.

So have a little cry (but don't let them see) and then remember they are probably having a great time and your worrying for nothing  bear_grin

I am so looking forward to the weekend and getting this first week over.

from one mum to another, hugs Ali xxx

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Judi.....it is a big step....hugs for you and you will get through the first week and then you'll find so many things to fill the hours ....set yourself some targets each day....and then the house will be full of children again and you will wonder where the time went!
My baby has graduated from university, got a job and an apartment 1 hours drive away....all in a couple of months........ and I find it really hard that he may never be at home again full-time  bear_cry ....although he did pop home at the weekend and brought his shirts to wash and iron (I did ask him to tho!)....and I still get the hugs and cuddles from my 6'3" baby!  bear_grin
Lynne  :hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

you guys!!
my baby is only 10 months old but already I am imagining the day when she trots off to school. They do grow soo fast and I guess I was secretly hoping that after a few years you get used to it.

I guess not :(

So Judi, I'm feeling for you in my own way!  :crackup:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Lynne said: My baby has graduated from university, got a job and an apartment 1 hours drive away....all in a couple of months........ and I find it really hard that he may never be at home again full-time

Oh Lynne, you have my sympathies ... My two still live with me at 25 and 23 and I just don't know how I'll do the 'empty nest' thing ... I'm dreading it in so many ways. bear_sad

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

In my experience, it's harder to see them enter those big, life-changing stages when they're young than when they get older.  They don't have nearly as many social, emotional, or intellectual skills at 5 as they do at 18, so you do kind of worry about them.  I know Joey will make the transition gracefully and think Mom will, too, as she gets accustomed to having more bear time.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Wow, all of my girls are starting this year.  The bus will pick my oldest bound for kindergarten up tomorrow at 8:05 a.m.  Ours is all day here too. 

My twins will be starting Pre-K at two different schools (all three of mine are Special Ed for Speech).  The Special Ed school is quite a long day starting at 7:38 a.m. and arriving home at 2:00 p.m. (they won't be 4 until September 24th) which is a pretty long day for a tater tot in my opinion.  And then, they have a "fun" pre-school the other two days for only a couple of hours each day followed by Friday off.

I'm not sure how I'm going to act tomorrow morning when all three get on their buses.  I might jump for joy or I could break down and cry.  I've been worried about it for months now so ya' never know.

But the blues no, worry YES!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

See, I knew I came to the right place for support. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Paula, I cried my eye out when my first daughter started kindergarten,,,and I imagine I;ll do the same when she goes off to college next year.....oh....and you don't look old enough to have a 23-year-old!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim...you're do in a couple of weeks!  Oh my you will have your hands full with three little ones.  I am excited for you but you must be bursting at the seams right now.  Let us know when the happy day arrives ..lots fo pictures!!!

Ah Dilu...you alwys have such great advice.  YES....I am going to clean out my cubbards...they need it desperatley....after I get my Toy SHoppe obligations filled....and my new tiger ...and my other new idea...... and with all my children in school now I will be able to do it all! :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Manuela wrote:

Judi.... How old is your Baby? He goes alone with the bus in the kindergarden?

Manuela

Hi Manuela,  I know some countries do not have school buses but here in the USA we have brightly colored orange/yellow school buses that pick up our kids right at the end of our driveway on our farm.  My two older girls (11 and 17) will help Joey as he must switch buses at the High School.  All three of my children go to different schools:  High School, Intermediate School, and Joey will be gong to a Catholic school associated with our church,  It's a really good school....my hubby went there too many many years ago.  bear_whistle  bear_original  bear_original

It's nice to know that there are so many others who feel the same as i do.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   I guess it's all part of being a mom.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

.......and not even to mention the school supplies we had to buy. It is unreal how long the lists are these days.  This kind of pencil, that sort of marker,  3 boxes of tissues, a roll of paper toweling...zip lock bags....water colors, this kind of crayon in the 8 count not 24....and the list goes on and on for a full page.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I was the same  - cried because it was so hard to let them go... your little babies.

Our daughter 19 has just travelled across the other side of the world to England to attend Rochester
University where she will be doing a sesmester there in Fashion Design.
We are so happy for her but miss her so much.
It is great to be able to keep in contact via cell phone and email, so that makes it a little easier.

good luck Judi and take a hanky with you as it is only natural to feel this way when this big milestone
in their life is taking place.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Judi

I am sitting here with my baby today planning her next birthday party when she will be 13 a teenager and she will be starting high school after the Xmas holidays coming so there are a lot of changes going on. I am a fulltime working mum and Samantha has been in Day care since she was 7 months I have cried at every first she has done. Starting daycare, school, first dance concert first equestrian show and I will go on crying I think I have got to the stage were Sam knows everythng will be OK because Mums crying. bear_grin  I tell her even when she is an old lady she will always be my baby. bear_wub 

Raewyn

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Judi, I can't imagine being away from my baby for an instant! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hmmm, I just gave my oldest daughter a quick shove out the door on her first day of kindergarten...... I don't get it.  bear_noexpression LOL just kidding, yes, I felt that all-too-familiar sadness in my heart, but honestly, I did just nudge her off on her way, watched her get on the buss, and saw her ride off into the sunrise.... It was one of those, "Okay, be tough now, mom... don't let her see you scared or else she will be too!" things.. hee hee hee  I think it's more of the sudden smack in the face that your kids are growing up and aren't going to stay little!  Best wishes Judi! things will be GREAT, your little boy will be getting SMART!!!! WOO HOO!!  Not to mention more time for bears!!  WOOOO HOOOO!!!! bear_original  :hug:

RaggyRat The RaggyRat Company
Weymouth
Website

((((hugs))))))

cat xxx busy mummy xxxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Judi, my Sarah is 26 and I cried on Sunday when she left to go work in a hospital three hours away. It gets worse for me as she get older. David gets to come home each evening so it OK, but I still miss him like crazy, especially just after summer break, when he's been home for almost three months. Still he's home for four more weeks. Watch out for  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  towards the end of this month.
Joey will do just fine and as for you, well shed those tears, he's your baby, it's only natural. He'll be back home before you know it,  full of excitement, telling you all about his day and his new friends.

Mummy hugs, Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Hi Judi, I guess it's a huge step, one my two did together as they're twins. They had each other for support so they were happy to trot into Kindy, they had quite along bus ride at the end of the day and were often fast asleep across the back seat by the time the bus reached our stop! But the year six girls took them under their wings so they were fine. I found myself just sitting doing nothing for a couple of weeks after they started, and then it dawned on me all the bearmaking I could get done during scool hours!!! Now my boy has made me a Nanna and the cycle starts again in a few years. His twin sister finally left home at 21, choosing not only to leave, but to travel to England where she's been working for the last few months. This seems to be  a Right Of Passage for alot of Antipodian kids. I've caught up with her while I've been in the UK, she's doing really well and is about to leave on a 17 countries in 37 days tour of Europe! I've got just over a week here then back home after Hugglets, and more work!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I dread next September as my youngest son will be starting school and I don't think I have ever had an empty house since I had my eldest 18 years ago and it will seem so quiet.My 5 year old went back to school today and he was ok-I was dreading it as last year he didn't like school.My eldest son is a tree surgeon and that is always a worry as it can be a dangerous job.My daughter started her first day at college today and will be doing hairdressing so I hope she likes it.I don't think you ever stop worrying about them no matter what age they are especially when they are old enough to go out into the big wide world on their own.The only benefit when they are all out of the house(I have 6 children)is that is lovely to tidy up the house and it stays that way all day until they get home so it gives you time to do other things bear_original
Laurie :hug:

Board footer