Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I have noticed that some artists give a certificate of authenticity with their bears. What information should be on one? How detailed? Obviously the name of the bear and artist. Date? made or sold? Bear statistics(size, fur, filling?) If a hang tag has these details do they need to be repeated on a certificate?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Originally I was doing a tush tag, hang tag and a COA...it was too much for me personally to get together for each bear.
My hang tags now have all of the "COA" info right on the back and I now do a little signature on that as well.  I like that the hang tag is right there on the bear so it's one less thing for a collector to worry about keeping or losing.   But I've seen some really lovely COA's as well...it's just what you like doing  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I don't do COA simply because I can't see the point, as you say, the info is usually all on the hangtag. 

Incidentally, I recently purchased an early bear my sister made called Angus, on Ebay ... our hangtags back in those days were all beautifully hand scribed and tied to the bears' wrists with ribbon ... anyway, to cut a long story short, upon checking through the seller's earlier completed auction listings I discovered that another bear (also made by my sister) had been mistakenly sold with Angus's hangtag and Angus was now nameless!  The funny thing was I also discovered the same seller had sold an early bear of mine with a hangtag belonging to one of my sister's bears, thereby completely renaming both the bear and its maker!  Needless to say, these days I stitch my hangtags onto the bears to help minimise the potential for confusion!

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

I do a lot for my sloths, it has to be said bear_tongue  My output isn't exactly high though, so.... anyway, I usually make up a certificate with name, date of birth, signature etc, a description card with a little story and a physical description of the sloth/bear, and I've just finished working on some simple hangtags that have a face of my number 1 sloth on them, just so there's something that can stay easily with them whilst the other bits can be put in 'a safe place' bear_tongue  I'd do less, but I really enjoy writing out the little descriptions- in fact I just got back from WHSmith with a laminator for mine!

Board footer