Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I was going to do a feature for Australian Bear Creations on Selling bear at shows and on line later but after reading Karen"s post about how she may be stopped on Ebay becaus of a supposed "bad" rating I think it may be imperative that I do this story and bit soone.

I wasn't sure of how I was going to approach the story and I ned to do more research basically I think I will cover the various places collectors can look and the pros and cons from an artists poitn of view of each venue and then the collectors point of view for each venue.

Ie Show, on line shows, auctions site and speialist site such as Bid 4 Bears and Bear Patch. 

I haven't looked yet but is there an easy way to cotanct the organisers of the last 2 sites.

So guys and gals I will take any suggestios comments other recommended sites we want promoted to collecots etc on board. Post them here or PM me ot email me direct at sandra@bearhug.com.au.

Also cmments from a artists and a collectors viewpoint is just as important to me so those lurkers who are collectors only please don't be shy!! You are just as important as artists in this article.

Also I would like any comments on how important you feel Competitions are in promoting work.........do collectors note names to buy from and do you as artists feel that your sales improve after wining comps?

Just to revert to Ebay for a second..........even though I sell on ebay I never knew that rating was so important and I'm sure collectors don't either so I will be adding this into the article......so any other improtant ebay stuff you guys know don't be backward in reminding me to add it in.

thanks

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Sandra....an article on this major problem would be wonderful! Thanks so much.

I just read Karen's recent thread on her new ebay problem of not being allowed to list an auction. All I can say right now is AAAAUGH!!!

Hopefully I can collect my thoughts and send you my carefully worded opinion about ebay .... right now I'm just  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

You can easily contact Nancy Tillberg about her Bid4Bears site through any of her websites.
www.northcountryteddybears.com
or
www.kranbearys.com

:hug:
Kathy

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

maybe a mention of the forums Sandra, like Teddy bear and critters Australasia , Teddy Talk and Bears and buds.
Oh and maybe mention Etsy.com . Its becoming quite a favourite for artists to sell their work. I personally love shopping on Etsy.

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

I've had really good luck with Bear Pile (www.bearpile.com) and the nicest part is "no final value" or "listing" fees.  It has a flat rate per month that's it.  It worth a try anyway.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Great idea Sandra  bear_thumb

puca bears puca bears

Great idea, Sandra.........I've never tried selling on ebay, and after all these stories, probably never will
huggies
Maria

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI Everyone

Yes I am going to do an article on the various forums oth within Australia nad internationally like TT. All ideas and comments are welocme at this time. I am slowly tweaking the magazine tothe position where I want it and from all the feedback I'm getting I am I have generally got the mix right at the moment. So now I can concentrate on the article and stories I want to do that will make collectors, artists and makers all happy and to better integrate together.

I feel that this may be a good place to start so that collectors know how to buy and leave the most helpful feedback. I;m sure Karen's collector would be mortifyed to realise the position she has created for her.......I have left less than perfect feedback too without realising the consequences!!

So I need ideas and quotes and comments from everyone.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi Sandra,   :hug:

Thank you for tackling this issue!  bear_flower

My main problem with the 5 star rating system on ebay is that a few collectors rate me on the postal systems's shipping speed rather than on how fast I ship a soft sculpture out.  I typically send a bear within a couple days of receiving payment (depending on if there is a weekend or holidays at the time of payment).  I would love to send all my packages by air mail, but to overseas destinations, that can mean an additional $60 to $80 on top of the free surface shipping I offer.  I do offer to upgrade to air if the buyer is willing to pay for that. 

Most collectors are patient with the postal system (which can take weeks to overseas destinations), but there have been one or two who have given me 4 stars based on the post's delivery time which I have no control over.  I'm sure they didn't know how that could affect an artist, but unfortunately, with this new system, one or two more could be all it takes to make it so I can't sell on ebay!

It'll be great if more collectors could know about this issue!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Board footer