Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

What is your rcmmendations for mini eyes?  Where can I get them?  Jenn

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Jenn, I think Intercal have them. I use 6-8 mm on 3-4 inch bears. my little ones nave BIG eyes.  :cool:

but I bought in Japan 4.5 mm and 7.5 mm plastic eyes to try them too.

HUGGS, Julia

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Jenn, my little ones have eyes that are 3 - 5mm in size. They are flat-backed with a 'squashed' loop, which makes them less likely to break when crimping the wires as well as easier to use.

I use suppliers here in the UK, but Intercal have them as well as a few other suppliers: http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html (scroll down to #500-Black Glass Eyes).

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I have used 3mm onyx beads and have just had some 3mm glass eyes from a company in the UK. The beads I had with my fabric from Sassys.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Right now all I have are 2mm onyx beads which I got from ebay. Those are relatively easy to find on ebay or a bear supply company. I also have some glass eyes on wire. I got these on ebay as well although don't recommend them. They are the ones that mention "decoy" in the title. I've bought 2 sizes, 2mm & 4mm. I personally haven't had any trouble with them breaking but they are really hard to match up. I got 12 pair in a lot and I'll be lucky to use 2 pair! So while they're cheaper as a lot, they are actually costing about $4.00/pair since I can't use the others. ARGHHHH!

Check out www.edinburghimports.com
There's a pretty good assortment of smaller eyes on their site.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Jenn

I tried the beads but didn't like the thread showing

Intercal has wonderful german glass eyes- I get the U shaped backing and then just pinch the very tip of the U.  They come as small as 2mm.

I have 39 pair of those left, but I think they are too small.  I tend to gravitate to the 3,4,5mm. 

The O backing requires more crimping to get it through the fabric and the smaller the eye and more crimping you do the more likely the eye is to break which is why I stick with the U. 

I like that the glass eyes don't have a thread showing problem.

Also, don't laugh, since I have dozens of almost every size I got a spice rack with empty bottles.....that way all the eyes are in the same type container, sorted and organized, and I can see through the glass exactly what size I want.  And it can hang on the wall, out of the way!

I love being organized.

But only with my toys.  :lol:

I still use beads on my experimental patterns

bear_tongue

Dilu, what a clever idea! I have a spice rack the revolves...hmmm.  bear_grin Maybe when I have a larger assortment. 
I wish I was organized! I'd lose my head if it weren't stuck on so tight.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Helena and Amanda - which UK company do you use for your mini eyes?

Thanks
Catherine

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I used V and N bear supplies. They are on ebay but it was easier to order online. You can use paypal.

http://www.vandnbearsupplies.co.uk/

I forgot to say they were very quick and the postage was slightly less than they charged, I hate paying over the odds for postage.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Hey does anybody have trouble getting the wires to go thru your head??? sometimes I can't get the wires to go thru the head I get so Frustrated with it :mad:.
does anybody have a good solution. Sometimes I resort to poking a thick needle thru the head to get the wire thru!!
What about you guys???
Kathy bear_smile

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kathy, are you poking and fray-checking an awl hole into which the eye wires will insert, first?

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
Sandi.S. wrote:

I got 12 pair in a lot and I'll be lucky to use 2 pair! So while they're cheaper as a lot, they are actually costing about $4.00/pair since I can't use the others. ARGHHHH!

I can see you making a lot of pirate bears bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
You get to save on mohair as well, since they only have 1 1/2 legs bear_grin bear_grin

Silly idea I know, but aye! its 1am here . Gotta go!!!!!!!!!! bear_grin bear_grin

Matilda, maybe that'll be my specialty! And I'll have you to thank.  bear_grin

Ayyyy Matie, it actually sounds like a cute idea, with a little bitty parrot on his shoulder?  SAndi and Matilda have teemed up into a new design company!   :clap: :clap:

:P

Shelli, whne i use intercal I just shift the threads, rather than actually breaking iany threads,would you still fraycheck?

With Sassy and the rayons yes, but now I wonder about the intercal fabrics-I didn't think of it since I wasnt actually breaking threads.....hmmmmmmm

What do you think?

Di-oops

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi Jenn,
Sassy Bears and Fabrics has lots of sizes for mini bears including a variety of bead sizes - I use invisible thread and I don't think it can be seen (of course that may be my eyesight  bear_grin )
Also from time to time on ebay.com I have seen eyes under bear making  supplies - I bought 2mm Onyx bead eyes from someone there - they are supposed to be better as they are completely round - some other beads have a kindof tube like shape
Hope that helps a little  bear_original bear_original
:hug: :hug:
Anne

Northern Nevada, USA
Shelli wrote:

Kathy, are you poking and fray-checking an awl hole into which the eye wires will insert, first?

I am using the eyes with straight wires, not the looped ones. Yes I have to poke a hole and use fray check too. but the trouble is with getting the wire to shove thru the head stuffing.
lately I have just given up on the wire eyes and using onyx round bead and czech glass  round matte beads for eyes. It was just easier.

Kathy

Kathy, I have some eyes with straight wires. I use round nose pliers to form a loop out of the straight wire. I roll it around a couple times. Crimp the loop, thread, stick the needle in the head.

Northern Nevada, USA

I tried crimping the wire into a loop once but , the eye just popped off the wire.Have you had that problem?? I will give it another try. Since I have about 20 pairs of eyes on wires and can't seem to use them.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Catherine, I have used V and N bears to buy both eyes and fabric and love their service.

But I generally buy my U-shaped-loop eyes, sometimes called English glass eyes, from Christie Bears (http://www.christiebears.co.uk/acatalog … _Eyes.html) and Admiral Bears (http://www.admiral-bears.com/acatalog/O … k__11.html). Both are very reliable suppliers  bear_original

I haven't had any eyes pop off yet. I guess if you have 20 pairs, it wouldn't hurt to give it another go!

Jenn, I hope you've found something useful here!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just had one pop off *knock on wood* and it ticked me off too!  I had the whole bear done except for shading and I inserted the eye and superglued it a bit and the darn thing popped off!  luckily it was a needlefelted bear so i cut off the head and just did another head HA HA HA  bear_laugh

Ahhh  Yikes!!!  Kimmy you need to meet with Shantell.  We will be starting a therapy group right away for beary girls who decapitate their bearikins!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin  You two are both too funny...and we ribbed her for several weeks, as I recall. :angel:

Kathy,

if you don't want to actually make a loop, perhaps if you cut the wire considerably shorter, pre-made a hole in the eye socket area using a large needle , dipped your eye wire in magna tac or some other sort of heavy duty type glue and then inserted it you would be more satisfied.

Especially as you have so many wire eyes, you don't want to just get rid of stock or anything.....so perhaps this method would help you...

just a thought.   :rolleyes:

Dilu

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Board footer