Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi everyone,
Just thought I would let you know that Reborn Babies will be featured on Dr.Phil today Dec 10th at 3PM Central Standard Time.  From the commercials it looks like it will be about how they are made and the people who are obsessed with treating them like real babies.  Sounds like it may be very interesting.  I'll be watching.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I understand the amount of work and true art that goes into reborn babies but personally...I find them a bit creepy!

Marion

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I agree Marion....and it looks like Dr. Phil does too...from the show preview. bear_wacko   They are so incredibly life-like....too life-like maybe.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Darn it! bear_sad   I won't be home in time today to watch it, and it sounds like a good show!  Suppose I can find it online later to see it?  It is mind boggling how people can get so obsessed with them.......I'd love to hear what Dr. Phil has to say about it all!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I sure hope I don;t get side-tracked today and miss it myself.  According to the preview Dr. Phil thinks it's all a bit creepy....his exact words.

I saw some of these Reborn Babies at a bear and doll show and the "healthy-looking" babies were breath taking...BUT...there are also reborn babies that look like they belong in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit).

I have three children so I know what newborns look like...also my son spent a few days in the NICU due to him being born(induced) at 37 3/7th weeks ...he was a whopping 9 pounds 13 ounces but was not feeding well so he had to go to the NICU for five days.  Anyway...the babies in those units are so small and skinny they almost don't look real. 

They are amazing works of art...but who does the basic body?  Not the Reborn artists?  They do the hair and paint the skin...right?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it! Have to wonder about the artists and collectors of these things too!
Sorry.... I too can appreciate the work and skill involved but...................  bear_ermm

Might be entertaining to watch Dr. Phil today though!!!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I can appreciate the work that goes into them..... but I am sorry.. the last show I did... there were people pushing those dolls around in carriages..... SO that means they had to load the carriage into a car... unload it.. then push the stroller around all day.........it's a creepy doll. What was worse is that they kept taking them out of the carriage and making people hold it, burping them, rocking them.. hehe. Glad they didn't try that one with me.... I would have said something naughty.. lol.
I would love to see that show, I won't be home from work by then though. Wonder if it will be online.

Hugs,
Melanie

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
MerBear wrote:

I understand the amount of work and true art that goes into reborn babies but personally...I find them a bit creepy!

Marion

I agree. . .they are facinating. . . and more than a little creepy.  I show them (on ebay) to shop customers & clients occasionally and 'creepy' is usually the first word out of their mouths. ..

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
Melbear wrote:

I can appreciate the work that goes into them..... but I am sorry.. the last show I did... there were people pushing those dolls around in carriages..... SO that means they had to load the carriage into a car... unload it.. then push the stroller around all day.........it's a creepy doll. What was worse is that they kept taking them out of the carriage and making people hold it, burping them, rocking them.. hehe. Glad they didn't try that one with me.... I would have said something naughty.. lol.
I would love to see that show, I won't be home from work by then though. Wonder if it will be online.

Hugs,
Melanie

now, now, Mel, I've seen bear people do this too. . . in fact, I once spent an entire banquet sitting next to a woman who would only speak through her teddy bear.

talk about creepy  :crackup:

and it wasn't an artist bear neither

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Creepy doesn't even begin to describe it! Have to wonder about the artists and collectors of these things too!
Sorry.... I too can appreciate the work and skill involved but...................   

Might be entertaining to watch Dr. Phil today though!!!

Daphne says it best for me. I'm so glad to know other people find it weird, too. I thought I was the only one since some people into these things are way into it.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Some of you may remember the show 'My Fake Baby' shown in the UK, was it last year or this, not sure now, and I thought the same at the time, some people act very strange with them.  BUT, I have to be honest, I'm being drawn into the reborning world, I've made it one of my things to do in the new year - I'm intrigued by the artistry of these dolls, and I fancy a push in a different direction, and mine will (hopefully!) be a reborn with a twist......you'll have to wait and see!!   bear_tongue

Don't worry, I won't walk around the park with it in a pram though, promise!!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Does anyone know if we can pick this programme up online?

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

well... I have collected dolls like Himstedt and some reborn but I always found the ones that are in critical conditon a little disturbing, okay ALOT disturbing! and people acting like their real babies is really weird bear_ermm  I'm thinking maybe they never could have real children of their own, and having their own baby room with a crib! hmmmm.... I tried reborning a doll once, couldn't get into it. I do a have a very good friend that reborns dolls but not to worry, their not her REAL babies bear_tongue

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

I had never heard of these dolls before, but they look amazing.
I love the conversation that always goes on here...I always get a laugh :crackup: It's so fun!
Collectors are very interesting when they treat the bear or doll as if it was alive. Ya gotta wonder.... bear_wacko
As an artist for 20 yrs, I've seen a lot... there is never a dull moment!!!!

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Oh lord Kelly, lol. Now that would be, um, interesting.. hehehe. I really don't think I could keep my mouth shut on that one.. lololol. BUT you really do have to feel sorry for these people. You do meet some zany people at shows and conventions.

Lol, Clare,  well I don't really have an issue with the dolls.. They are great pieces of art (not my bag.. but I see the art in them) BUT it's the treating them like they are alive that freaks me out... lol. heehee.  The last show I did I kept whinning and saying... Keeeep theeeemmm awayyyyyy from meeeee.. pleaseeee.. I'm sure some of them heard me, but at least it kept them away.. heehee.

There is no way I'm getting out of work today, let us know what Dr Phil says. I am very interested.
Hugs,
Melanie

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

Could someone please explain to me the difference between a baby doll and a reborn doll. What is a reborn doll? Also how do you reborn a doll?.... I don't get it.. :redface:

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I have seen some lovely photographs of the reborn dolls online, but nearly all of the ones I have seen in person at doll shows have a bluish cast that makes them look incredibly realistic and ....dead! bear_cry Now that is creepy!

But to each his (her) own. Here's a funny story which illustrates that. I was at a ball jointed doll sculpting workshop this fall. Most of the folks there also collected ball jointed dolls so when we went to the "SteamPunk Ball" in the evening folks, brought their dolls to share and admire. A few folks who sat near me at the workshop found out I made bears and asked me to bring one to dinner. I did so and when folks found out I had made him he was well received. But one young lady, the sculptor of an anthropromorphic cat doll which looked quite catlike and uncannily like the sculptor as well--creepy)commented. " That is a nice bear. Teddy Bears usually creep me out, but I kinda like him." Teddy Bears usually creep me out??!! That was a new one for me!

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

No matter what kind of a day you are having, this is the place to stop by ! I do collect dolls too. Like the realistic looking  and feeling babies. They are my favorite to collect  but, I am not taking them out in a stroller ..! NO WAY!! I do like how they feel in my arms and to change their outfits depending on the Season of the year..when I have the time!!  I do not think I will like to be pocking the dolls eyes out  and that kin of of things , you have to do to reborn a doll. I agree that some people act very weird with the bears too! I "talk" to then but, only in the privacy of my home! bear_grin
I do not know if I am going to be able to watch the show. I am hoping I can see it on the net.
It is amazing the things people do!.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Now this is a subject that is very alive here in Australia (well certainly at our mixed Doll and Bear shows anyway)! I think it would be very fair to say that nearly all bear artists see the art in these dolls- but as you've all mention when you witness the "parenting" going on at shows with the prams (yep like Mel said), the burping, soothing by patting their backs or stroking their hair- I'm not the only one with words slipping out. I don't get it! I can understand collecting from an appreciative view, but...

I am actually in the fortunate position of having had two kids, the second born at 30 weeks- at a very substantial 2 kilos for his age but never the less, a long stay in NICU, with tubes etc and many babies around him who didn't stay with us very long, some of them born even further into pregnancy than little Brandon.

At one of the last shows we attended (I won't mention which and we've been at quite a few) they were selling the dolls by prematurity in terms of weeks- sorry, that is just insensitive and sick! For those people that have been lucky enough to stay out of hospital units like NICU, they can never understand the mortality rate is much higher than anyone can comprehend, and those are not times that we remember with fondness.

BrandonTT.jpgBrandonTT2.jpg
Brandon at 2 1/2weeks old or 32.5 weeks as the docs would say. Skin peels off his face when they remove his feeding tube to replace with a new one- this is the first time I saw his face without equipment all over it.
BrandonTT4.jpgBrandonTT3.jpg
Brandon is one month old and this is my first hold. You have to keep them against your skin otherwise they loose body temp too quickly, I was allowed 15 mins with him before he had to go back into his plastic cell!

For any who have romantic ideas about how gorgeous these babies are, sorry they are not, they are precious but not gorgeous, nor cute. You can't touch them and it can take weeks/months till you can hold them, let alone attempt to feed them traditionally. So if one wants to treat the dolls like their real counterparts perhaps staying in a nursery setting for 2 months watching them lie there might be more fitting.

By the way please everyone, understand I am not living in pain everyday about this situation nor do I give the dolls a thought once they leave my sight, I am a lucky one - but I for one will be pleased when the fad is over.

Brandon.jpg
Brandon today 2 1/2 years on...

Jeez I wish we got your episodes at the same time as you....

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

My twins were a little early and spent a couple of weeks in the NICU though nothing like your Brandon, Mel, I'm so with you though! These dolls often look like still births not neonates and they really do creep me out. I actulally don't really see all that much artistry in them when the bits are bought and then put together, my sister is a true doll artist sculpting all her dolls as OOAK, that's where the artistry is.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Mel, Brandon is a beautiful boy! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub I love happy endings.

I recently saw a few reborns . premies, with their skin integrity broken down, and discharge from their eyes and nose.   We steered WAY clear of that table.  Even my ii year old daughter found them disturbing.

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Dr. Phil's show was about obsessions, hobbies, etc...the question was whether or not they were obsessed with these dolls or if it was a hobby. The lady that was interviewed thought it was just a hobby...and Dr. Phil agreed...although many take these hobbies to the extreme. It was interesting. I have had collectors over the years that were obsessed, but most enjoy collecting as a fun hobby.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I actually am very interested in reborn babies but there is no way you would catch me with one in a stroller.  Now on the subject of preemies, I was one.  34 years ago.  I am glad they do kangarooing with premies now.  your son looks like a very happy little guy now.  They wouldn't let my mom hold me for four monthes.  I saw some reborn premies on ebay that seriously gave me the creeps.

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney
Judi wrote:

I recently saw a few reborns . premies, with their skin integrity broken down, and discharge from their eyes and nose.   We steered WAY clear of that table.  Even my ii year old daughter found them disturbing.

I'm quite happy to say I've never seen that- YUK! Get a Kleenex people!!!!

Linda that can be so true,

These dolls often look like still births not neonates and they really do creep me out. I actually don't really see all that much artistry in them when the bits are bought and then put together, my sister is a true doll artist sculpting all her dolls as OOAK, that's where the artistry is.

I didn't know how these things were made- I never took the time to find out... but I do love the arts and crafts that are created from RAW ingredients.

Maybe some folk do need substitutes, but when I think of the girls that didn't get the happy ending like me- I just think- GET A DOG!! At the very least it can love you back. My dogs were and still are the best set of kids! They don't get the cuddles they used too, but they're definitely part of the family- eg I haven't organized my kids presents yet, but I have the dogs' all wrapped and ready to go. :dance:

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I have to admit, although again, i can appreciate their artistry, i find them utterly creepy.

I've never been one to coo over babies anyway but there's something slightly horrific in how lifelike they are - they do just look like dead babies bear_ermm  as for people who treat them as babies, that's even wierder - but hey, i dress up in movie costumes for fun and someone who happily dresses up as Frank The Bunny from Donnie Darko, probably has no right to say what is wierd or not  :crackup:

I have my chinchillas as substitute children and at least they react back to me - even if it's only shoving me away wheni try to cuddle them  :hug:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Reborning is an artform but Like anything else it takes work.

Board footer