Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

Hi there

l wish to launch my bears into the world and l wasnt sure how best to do so, whether to have a website or to have a blog! l know some of you have websites, are they easy to run and set up? Do some of you have blogs? are these easier to maintain? Any advice, tips or hints would be most greatful, this year l would like my bears to take over the world!!!  :crackup:

Wiggles xx

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hello!

I don't think there's a case for blog versus websites - my advice would be to have both and keep them regularly updated because they serve differing purposes but can also work well to complement one another.

I use my website as a catalogue/portfolio - it also works as a central resource for collectors to find all the relevant information for purchasing from me at a click of a button.  The blog on the other hand, is a great way to maintain more informal contact with visitors and works really well hand in hand with the website.  I see the blog a bit like a mini magazine ... full of interesting tidbits to keep visitors interested in what I am doing, so they want to return again and again for updates.  Visitors to the website seem to like to click through to the blog to read about what has being going on in my corner of the world from both a business and a personal perspective - it introduces them not only to my bears, but also to me and I keep it very current, usually updating at least twice a week.  I've included a 'blog' button on my website menu so that visitors to the website can find the blog easily and feel as though they aren't actually leaving the website to read it.  I've also included links to the website from the blog because traffic to the blog doesn't always come through the website ... in fact, a blog has the potential to draw readers from a very broad audience once it begins to establish.

In terms of introducing your work on a blog you need to bear in mind the following:  because of the nature of a blog, past entries soon disappear down the page, whereas the website consolidates a more permanent focus on your work.  It is possible to 'tag' blog entries, so visitors have the option to click on a subject of particular interest, but in terms of selling your work, I have found it works best to keep a website as a more static 'shop front' and use the blog to complement that, by giving a more informal and approachable perspective on your work/life as a bear artist.

The other thing with the blog which is really worth considering, is the way it works with Google.  If you keep a blog, the Google search engines pick up on any text in your blog which matches searches entered in their search engine ... so for example, if you've written a piece on say tulips, it will bring your blog up in the search listings whenever anyone searches for tulips ... what use is that for selling bears you might ask?!  Well, it's all about introducing your work to the broadest possible audience and who's to say that someone interested in tulips, might not become enchanted with your bears, or perhaps mention them to a friend with a penchant for teddy bears?!  Food for thought eh?!  So my advice would also be to keep your blog entries relaxed, chatty, informative, diverse in subject matter and of course, as interesting as possible on the subject of bears!

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

What wonderful advice Paula.  I found your answer really interesting.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Great advice. I'm a very lazy blogger and website keeper. I don't make resolutions but that should be one really. I recently overhauled my Blog, very easy and it does make me want to use it more.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Me again! Just remembered this wonderful Blog.

http://theholidayqueen.blogspot.com/

Apart from being a great Blog.  :clap:  She uses Google doc to have a sort of website attached, the right hand links. Could be something to think about, might try it myself.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Amanda,
     I love - http://theholidayqueen.blogspot.com/ - I always check in to see what she's up to.   It's fun to go "blog hopping" when I have a bit of free time.

Paula,
     Your advice is always informative and relevant.  You seem to have penchant for good, logical decisions for your business, that all of us can use.
My problem is that I have a wonderful website, but can't manage it.  I've tried and tried and can't successfully update it, even using the instructions  and Penny is not longer available for help so I have totally abandoned it.  I've even considered dismantling it, but I guess it's a means of advertising.  So, I use my blog for all my selling and it's worked out well for me.  I've sold everything I've listed so far on my blog, so that's where my focus is and it's sooooo much easier to update and maintain.  As a shopper, I find I definitley prefer checking out someone's blog than their website - in fact, I tend to avoid websites and I can't really explain why.  I guess as we muddle through, we figure out what works for us. 

hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'd have to second every last thing Paula said.  I agree with her take on this subject completely.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't have a blog because I think I would spend endless time updating and just yakking.  BUT, I just read an article in Scientific American magazine on the therapeutic value of blogging.  "Research shows that it improves memory and sleep, boosts immune cell activity and reduces viral load in AIDS patients, and even speeds healing after surgery."  That is a direct quote from the article.  In addition, expressive writing does tend to relieve stress, as we have noticed on our own TT forum.  Whether we want to vent because we are angry or share a sad/happy situation, we find a whole world-wide community of support here.  I think blogging must have a similar effect.  So - you who have blogs now or are considering starting one, here is one more compelling reason to do it.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

Thank you so very much for all of your replies and advice, l am now in the throws of doing a website!

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I have wondered myself if I should spend the time setting up a website in addition to my blogspot. And based on the information shared here, it sounds like I should spend the time. Thanks for all the shared wisdom!  :clap:  :clap:  bear_wub  bear_wub  Vicki

Board footer